• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Concerts you wish you’d went to when you had the chance.

chrisr777

Queen at the Forum in 1982. A few of my roommates went, but I didn't. Never did see Mercury, though I eventually saw them a couple of times with Paul Rogers. Not the same.

The Opera Panther

Silver Supporting Member
I got invited to see the Grateful Dead at RFK Stadium in DC on June 25, 1995. I don't even remember the reason I didn't go. Probably something about a girl? Anyhow, Jerry died a couple weeks later, and I never saw the Dead.

lhallam

Platinum Supporting Member
Hendrix 1968, Richmond VA. Didn't find out about it until my buddy was raving about how good it was.

Buffalo Springfield - I had tickets but the imploded on the road. The venue substituted "The Archies" - not kidding, my heart went Bang-Shang-A-Lang.

Led Zepplin. - Saw Page and Plant years later. Also saw Page on the ARMS tour with Clapton and Beck.

Stones with Mick Taylor. - Saw them with Ronnie. He's no MT.

Pink Floyd DSOM tour. - Saw PF and Waters after break up

The Who with Keith - Saw with Kenny.

Woodstock - didn't find out about it until it was over.

Probably some more.

lhallam

I got invited to see the Grateful Dead at RFK Stadium in DC on June 25, 1995. I don't even remember the reason I didn't go. Probably something about a girl? Anyhow, Jerry died a couple weeks later, and I never saw the Dead.
I was at that show. Jerry was not up to snuff, in fact the worst I ever saw him. You probably would've been disappointed.

The Opera Panther

Silver Supporting Member
I was at that show. Jerry was not up to snuff, in fact the worst I ever saw him. You probably would've been disappointed.
I wasn’t even a fan at that point, so who knows? 45 year old (and now a fan) me still rues 20 year old me’s decision.

lhallam

I wasn’t even a fan at that point, so who knows? 45 year old (and now a fan) me still rues 20 year old me’s decision.
And here I am trying to make you feel better. :)

Well the year before they were smoking, and the year before and the year before... I went to all the RFK shows, it was part of my summer time fun.

Funny, they used to announce on the local news when the Dead came to town to warn people about the traffic. "Hi, I'm Maureen Gentzler warning you that The Grateful Dead will be in town tonight and tomorrow." Funny because they only had two hit songs on the radio in 40+ years.

ddeand

Gold Supporting Member
I’m really old and have been fortunate to have grown up during the beginnings of rock ‘n roll, through the 60s, disco, punk, grunge . . . all of it. The only bands I really wish I had seen in their prime were Queen, AC/DC, and maybe Rush.

The Opera Panther

Silver Supporting Member
And here I am trying to make you feel better. :)

Well the year before they were smoking, and the year before and the year before... I went to all the RFK shows, it was part of my summer time fun.

Funny, they used to announce on the local news when the Dead came to town to warn people about the traffic. "Hi, I'm Maureen Gentzler warning you that The Grateful Dead will be in town tonight and tomorrow." Funny because they only had two hit songs on the radio in 40+ years.
Doreen. Doreen Gentzler. Amazingly, she is still on the air!

I didn't see Zappa's 88 tour, I figured I'd catch it when it came around to California (cough) (cough).

I probably would have liked to see King Crimson in the 80's with Bill Bruford and Adrian Belew. I'm not a KC fan, don't have any of their CDs or anything but I've watched a few YouTube videos where I thought THAT would have been cool.

I missed Fairport Convention when they played at a local coffee shop, I'm guessing that was their last US tour!

I missed Todd Rundgren when he played in Campbell. Blue Oyster Cult too (my 17 year old son really likes them)! That's like a 20 minute drive from home. Lots of shows in San Francisco I don't go to as it's a 90 minute drive and I'm getting too old for that kinda stuff.
Sometimes I see shows listed for San Jose and think for a moment and say nah...... dam !

ClickClack

2010 Legendary Rhythm & Blues Cruise featuring Johnny & Edgar Winter, Kim Wilson’s Blues All Stars (including Larry “The Mole” Taylor), Los Lobos, Irma Thomas & The Professionals, Elvin Bishop, Marcia Ball, special guest Commander Cody, and others. Reportedly, there would be opportunities for passengers/guests to chat and even jam with the artists. My wife and I were planning to buy tickets and I was going to bring my guitar, but then some scheduling conflict arose….

ALSO: Any of the post-2000 Steely Dan concerts at a good-sounding venue before cancer claimed Walter Becker, especially any of those shows where they performed a couple of songs from either/both of his solo albums.

Allman Brothers. I had a hard long physical work day. My friend had 2 backstage passes. I busted ass to get off work, called my friend who was going to drive. He bailed at the last minute but said I could have the tickets and the passes. I got mad and said forget it. Didn’t go. I wish I would have handled that differently. I never did see the ABB.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
Silver Supporting Member
Easy one for me: Allan Holdsworth. Allan performed in Vancouver many years ago and for the life of me...I can’t recall why I didn’t make the show...but it’s bummed me out ever since.
RIP AH.

That70'sBro

U2 1983 at the U of Md Ritchie Coliseum for $3.00
I was at that U2 show. Also saw the Jam at Ritchie in 82(?) during "The Gift" tour. You didn't miss much (both shows). Ritchie (a gymnasium) was the worst space for live music I ever encountered. Imagine standing inside a giant reverb chamber where music is blasting. Just awful.

Last edited:

ndtealmusic

Switchfoot and Relient K maybe 2 years ago or thereabouts. There isn't another show I'm as bummed to have missed.

MadFrank

Gold Supporting Member
I was at that U2 show. Also saw the Jam at Ritchie in 82(?) during "The Gift" tour. You didn't miss much (both shows). Ritchie (a gymnasium) was the worst space for live music I ever encountered. It was like standing inside a giant reverb chamber. Just awful.
Despite it being a bad show, I still envy you for seeing the Jam at all!

I don’t hold out any hope of a reunion with that lot. :rolleyes:

Rob Taft

Gold Supporting Member
The only one I regret not attending was Woodstock. I had to work. I've been fortunate to see most of the 60-70s jazz and rock acts including Hendrix, just not at Woodstock.

jac70

The Black Crowes with Jimmy Page, they only played a handful of shows and one of them happened to be in my neck of the woods (Worcester Centrum).

The Police reunion- Fenway Park

Trending Topics