1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Concorde vs. SLO clone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by doc, May 17, 2011.

1. doc

doc Member

I'm contemplating a new amp build. I have a suitable donor amp to convert, and would like to build a high gain monster. I'll have 4 12AX7s available, so if I made a Komet Concorde clone one will go unused, if I made an SLO clone I'll probably be replacing two of the cathode follower stages with Mosfets. This is a future project - I have too many things stacked up to get to this for months, so I have lots of time to think it over. Which would you build, or would you go a different direction?

2. Leftyman

Leftyman Gold Supporting Member

That is a tough one. I currently have a Concorde and for hot rodded plexi tones I don't think it gets any better. It's a one trick pony so to speak but it does that one trick better than anything. The draw back when comparing it to an SLO is you will need an attenuator and you won't have a clean channel. Both are awesome amps and really define "rock n roll".

3. doc

doc Member

I've played a Trainwreck clone, and I've played an SLO, but the SLO was many years ago - at the time it blew me away. The SLO is a more complex build, but I'd probably go with one of the PCBs out there on the net and modify a bit. I've never played the Concorde, but Pete Thorn's videos plus my experience with the 'Wreck clone give me a pretty good idea what its like. One possibility I guess would be to build a Concorde clone with an on board attenuator and add a clean channel and switching. Just thinking out loud here.