Concrete porch re-surfacing...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by standard24, Jan 3, 2018.

1. standard24

standard24 Member

My rental property needs the small front porch re-surfaced. (The neighbor kid wanted to pressure wash, and he blasted the smooth surface off.)

What advise can you give a DIY'er about products, procedures techniques, etc?

Thanks!!!!

2. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Waddya think, this is a cement finisher's forum? :waiting

(mine's cracked and needs fixed, subscribed) :cry:

3. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

I don’t know anything about concrete but being a terrible guitar player has never held me back from contributing to the forum.

I’d say a concrete primer and self-leveling compound would be your best bet.

4. standard24

standard24 Member

I've been researching on the web, and apparently cleaning the existing surface is crucial. Pressure washing, followed by wire brush and more washing. Then when dry, (next day) Shop Vac dust off of surface. This is all I've gotten so far...

TheLateGreatJC likes this.
  5. TheLateGreatJC

TheLateGreatJC Member

Self leveling. It's a super simple and quick job, in the right weather, an hour ot two of work at the most, longer including drying time. This is just assuming you are wanting to fix cosmetic issues and not structural ones, and what you are going to be pouring the self leveling cement on is fine except for needing resurfaced.

6. cratz2

cratz2 Member

No real advice but a note to our more northern members, steps and stoops have drainage built in so covering everything in a good self-leveling product will minimize that drainage which will lead to muchb more dangerous thaw and refreeze processes. You can use it, just don't go too crazy with it.

I used to run a small high end historic concrete business and In general, we didn't do anything that was less than a 2" thigh layer on top of existing concrete. We never used concrete out of a bag. In instances where it was the only feasible option, we would break up the top of the existing concrete, clean it, vacuum it, wet it, use a concrete bonding agent then use an aggregate-less Portland cement based concrete from a major provider, finish it with texture then use a non-yellowing curing compound sprayed on pretty thick and rolled out.

Before I was the boss, my boss still really didn't like to do it, but we had pretty good luck in the maybe 10 or 12 instances where we did it.

7. johnkoz

johnkoz Supporting Member

8. Analog Delay

Analog Delay I Judge Books By Covers Silver Supporting Member

Here's my recommendation as far as which product line to use:

http://www.desertbrand.com/decking-systems.htm

9. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Rental property?

Wire brush, get all the funkies and loose chunks off. Then get a trowel and a bag of $3 Quikrete. Just layer it on medium thin over the bad parts, use a flat board to level it out. That's how the last guy did ours. Cost like $80. He just reformed the steps and other areas using boards that make the porch steps an inch higher. Said we'll get 20 yrs out of it before having to have the entire thing replaced. Took him an hr maybe.

10. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

I think Stonhard Inc. has some coatings for this.

11. mark123

mark123 Member

I've was researching how to resurface my pool deck awhile back and thought about trying out rubber surface. It looks like a neat product, just don't know how cost effective it is.
    http://www.therubberdepot.com/index.php

12. hellbender

hellbender Member

Frame a low deck on top.

13. korby

korby Member

If you want paint to stick on concrete it peels if you don't want paint to stick on concrete it lasts forever. I'm a painting contractor.

Scrapperz likes this.
  14. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Ain't it the truth.

korby likes this.