CONDENSER MIC Reccomendations??

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by TMoran, Jan 27, 2006.

1. TMoran

TMoran Member

Hola all...

Wondering if anyone has recently gotten a Large element
    condenser , perhaps in the $150-250 range.. I 'm thinkin'
    of the RODE, Audio Technica, AKG, M -Audio.. you know, that sort of thing.. Something that would be a good all-rounder, as the Brits say,
    for Vocals, Acoustic Guitar, Percussion, etc. Something with a nice
    warm tone, that looks cool, of course, sound is paramount!!

I'm going into a TASCAM digital 8 track.. Tascam board.

Also wondering if I should pop for a Compressor or Limiter..ie, the
    ART tube thing that goes for around $100.. or the Samson that is
    priced in theat range.

thanks for any input you might have!!!

TMoran

2. ricoh

ricoh Member

An A-T 4033 large D condensor will work for all those things.............before you get a compressor try recording w/o...............a dbx 166 may be a better choice if you only have one compressor. Both items are easy to find used. Do a search for a RNC as well......lots of good revues here on the Page.

Rico

3. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Rode NT1-A is what I have in that price range. It's a cool mic but has a lot of presence.

4. Greggy

Greggy Member

My thoughts also regarding the Studio Projects C3 at this time. Can be had new at $245. Very bright, but that isn't always a bad thing. But you mentioned a warm mic, so I couldn't recommend the C3.

5. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

It's hard to find a "warm" mic in that price range, but I have changed my mind about MXL mics, largely because I heard a recording done with their inexpensive solid state mic that is supposed to sound like tubes, and actually does a surprising job at this task. I am pretty sure the mic sells for under $300 and is made in the US! I am sorry, can't recall the model number, I think it's V6 or something close to that.

One of the guys on this board - possibly Elambo? - has been trying to convince me to give the MXLs another listen, and damned if he wasn't right, at least about this one.

6. elambo

elambo Member

Wasn't me Les. I've never actually used an MXL, but nice mics can be had for under $300 so I'm sure you're right.

The mic I always recommend in that price range is the Studio Projects C3, which has already been mentioned once. True, it is bright to begin with, but not by sacrificing warmth - it just happens to have both.

7. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Possibly this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MXL-V6-Condenser-Mic-w-FREE-Mic-PoP-Filter_W0QQitemZ7379148580QQcategoryZ41466QQcmdZViewItem

I haven't used it, but heard it's OK. I like the MXL 990 with shock mount. Only $59 or $69 depending on the catalog of MF...

8. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Rode NT1 Original and Marshall V67. You can use em both for Vox. I use both of them at the same time on Acoustic Guitar and the results are great.

Used em both on my Vox with good results too. Of course Ive got a few others that are more then $150 but for the dough these are great. I agree to with the RNC for comp. Then eventually get an RNP.

Good stuff...

Richard

9. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Røde mics are great mics for the money, very hard to beat the sound-quality-for-the-buck. I've heard good things about the new AT condensers but can't personally vouch for them.

XM Radio uses Røde Broadcasters in place of Neumann U-67s.

10. zenpicker

zenpicker Member

I just upgraded to an ADK A51TC, which is beautiful but outside your range (> $550). I have heard quite good things about ADK's lower-cost entries, the Vienna and Hamburg, and based on my experience with the A51TC I can imagine the praise is well deserved. I think they retail for around $300.

Look at Oktava too, but go through Sound Room to avoid the notorious quality issues.

I see you're in Evanston - I'm in Chgo so if you wanted to try a couple we might be able to work that out. I do have the MXL 990 and 991 as well as a Behringer B1 in your price range. Would probably be open to selling any or all if you're interested after trying them out, since I recently upgraded my mikes and probably won't use the other ones much if at all. Email me at edward@edwardhamlin.com if you want to pursue that idea.

11. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

There are lots of inexpensive mid and large diameter condensors out now, most of these produced in China, etc. I ordered a couple of MXL's at about $60 US each and have been surprised with the quality. True they are not "warm", but they have sensitivity and detail which I've not been able to get with my Shure SM57 and 58. If you're on a tight budget, these might be worth a look. They came with a plastic padded hardshell case and shock mount and have served me well for the last six months.

12. route14

route14 Silver Supporting Member

The Rode NT-1 is great but has a more high end/bright sound to it. Can't be beat for the money. Really all the large diaphragm mics in that range are about the same. They are all made cheaply in China probably at the same factory. They sound ok, but great for the money. The MXL 2001s are nice and can be found really cheap. I've seen them as low as 60 new. I knew a professional engineer that used them as drum overheads. They are a little darker so they nicely tame the cymbals. One of each used wouldnt set you back too much and would give you some options.

I'm not sure about the dbx166, it's more of a mastering compressor in some ways. Something simple is good to start out with. Using compression is theoretically easy but can be difficult to execute properly. Starting off with a simple compressor with recommended settings or "light" settings would be a good place to start. I always try to not use compression but you just need it most of the time with vocals. It's also the easiet way to control bass guitar in your mix. I'm sure anyone here will tell you RNC is the way to go.

RNC and a Rode NT-1.

13. amper

amper Member

I like the M-Audio mics. I'm using two Solaris' as my all-rounders, backe dup by Shure Beta 57's and Beta 52 for drums, guitars, and bass. The Solaris is very, very good for the price (350 list). There's a cheaper model with the same element, but simpler electronics...the Luna, which is 250 list. My first choice was Shure KSM44's but the budget wouldn't allow for two of them (600-700 a pop?).

The ART stuff is also very good for the price. I've got their simple mic pre and tube compressor (the little square units), that I use live or in a pinch. I've got slightly better stuff for recording...but I wouldn't hesitate to use the ART gear if I needed it.

When it comes to recording, there's almost always something better for only slightly more money. It's difficult not to get too caught up in upgrading.

14. EVT

EVT Member

Hi
    CAD m179
    ADK Hamburg
    AT 4040
    SP B1, C1

evt