Condenser mics for recording vocals...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Tallhorses, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Looking for a reasonably affordable condenser mic for recording vocals. I'm looking for a nice warm, organic, natural sound. Price is an issue as I'd like to keep it under $500. I'd spend a little more if it would last me 20 years and get me that much more.

2. vladshap

vladshap Member

You can find a used ksm32 for around 350. Great on vocals...

3. cptnhook

cptnhook Member

Look into a shure sm7b. Very well regarded mic, and I'm enjoying mine. Not a condenser, but for vocals, it's fantastic. Being a dynamic, it needs quite a bit of gain.

4. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

I've been checkin out the Rodes NT2-A. I've been very happy with the NT5's

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I have to pick an SM7b up. I haven't found a budget condenser that doesn't add an upper mid/high spike to my voice. They can work great on acoustics, drum overs and percussion but for my voice a regular 57 is working ok for now.

Just to add, most of my vocals are hard rock-ish and kindof gritty. The 57 works for that. But for light, whispery James Taylor type stuff a budget MXL V67 does work pretty good.

6. JamminJeff

JamminJeff Member

The problem you and many of us now face is that the market is flooded with low cost vocal condensors.

The beauty of it all is that you and many of us now face a market that is flooded with low cost vocal condensors.

YOUR VOICE or the voice intended for recording has a lot to do with chosing a mic. Trying to find a universal vocal condensor is all but impossible and whatever you do in the $500 range (with a condensor) will include some compromise.

The other often overlooked issue is the pre amp. Whay stuff a good mic into a low end pre ? Some would say that a good dynamic, like an SM57 is killer into a good pre, like an LA-610 or the newer ISA110 by Focusrite. There are several good mid priced mic pre's, some even in your budget, then you could use an 57 or other proven dynamic for universal tracking.

Just trying to help with alternate viewpoints but a great condensor into a cheap pre is like stuffing cotton in your ears. Also, the live room in most home studios is usually either over dampened or too live. There is never just one solution or one cause when dealing with recording issues.

All that said, the Rode line of mics is worthy of some research. Blue makes some stellar mics as well. There are many really, just try to match your (or your client's) vocal charachteristics to a mic that has some related reviews. The SM7 mic of any generation will require gain which most lower end pre's are not know for nor do they have good headroom. 60 db of gain may sound like a lot for a pre, but if it's crappy headroom, a cleaner 50db unit will serve you better.

The newer Chineese mics, however tempting, are often hyped in the upper mids and can get "crispy" real fast. If your tracking a loud screamer who want's to get right up on the mic, a hyped mic is bad news in most cases.

Another suggestion is the Heil Sound line of mics. The list goes on. Try befor you buy anything if you can. The mic pre is the gatekeeper so don't over look it. The whole chain really. Good luck !

7. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Great Feedback... How would the NT2-A match up with the Mbox?