Condensors for toms and snare?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by ricoh, Feb 19, 2006.

1. ricoh

ricoh Member

Anybody try miking their toms with a large D condensor or use one on a snare? Results?

Thanks...........................
    Rico

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

I used a BLUE Mouse on a jazz snare - worked OK. Probably wouldn't do it again.

OTOH, a SDC, like an AKG 451 or a Neumann KM-184 can be great on snare.

I'll use Beyer 740's on toms sometimes - a much more open, hi-fi sound.

I've had good luck w/a Studio Projects B1 on floor tom, too. Scary good for a $40 mic.

Loudboy

3. Effect of Sound

Effect of Sound Member

Stick with a Shure SM 57 directly on the snare. Go with the small condenser mic above the hi-hat. This mic will pic up the snare anyway. I would never suggest placing any type of condenser too close to any instrument. They are too sensitive.

4. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Senior Member

In front of a pair of speakers... sometimes 5.1
    SM57 with a akg 460 right next to it sounds great on the snare. AKG414 EB sounds great on it's own on the snare. I've used 414's and u87s on toms with great sucsess (but only when the drummer is competant). No sense in getting on of those mics hit by a flailing drummer.

One other great mic on toms has been a Neumann KM140. It's not a LDC but sure sounds great.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

+1

you can do it, but if we're talking really heavy hittin', i wouldnt subject your nice condensors to the onslaught. simple SM57 is more than enough.

even if you're mic'ing up a jazz kit, a really nice pair of overhead condensors set low are more than enough, especially in the hands of a great player.

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

>>even if you're mic'ing up a jazz kit, a really nice pair of overhead condensors set low are more than enough, especially in the hands of a great player.<<

Can be true for a good rock player as well, depending on kit and desired sound. Personally, I never mic toms.

7. ricoh

ricoh Member

In general I never mike toms as well. It was something that ran through
    my mind and I thought I would see what the panal said. It was using the condensors on toms and the snare that I was curious about.

I like the open sound of two OH's ...BD and snare mikes.........thanks for the input

Rico