Cone cry on celestion speakers, or ?!?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Mickey_C, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Mickey_C

Mickey_C The Original Racketeer Gold Supporting Member

My recently acquired 50watt EL84 based amp came with 3 Eminence 10" speakers, which I this morning replaced with a set of 3 Vintage 10 Celestions. Both sets being 16 ohm versions.

Under the surface of the clean note, resides a somewhat raspy distortion note. Much lower in amplitude than the fundamental note, and bordering on a buzzz, sounding almost like a cheap distortion pedal clicked on, and blended into the sound.

I have been clueless - loading the eminence speakers back up, no issues.

I am wondering if this could be some form of "Cone Cry," and some suitable break in period will rectify it, or is this a mucked up speaker? Any easy way to ascertain the actual problem?

Thanks in advance!

2. KLB

KLB Member

If it happens throughout much of the note range, it is probably a failing power supply cap, or not enough capacitance to begin with.

If it happens mostly around the 15th fret, high E, with a loudish tone having some mids, it is probably cone cry.

Some speakers consistently do that, and even with those models that generally don't "cry", not all are immune from it. High power speakers are generally less prone to cone cry.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It certainly could be those speakers. The one I put in my Super Champ did exactly that at first, until I thrashed the hell out of it. Took about half an hour, then it suddenly cleaned up. Not sure what it was that caused it...

4. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Mickey, what sort of an amp do you have that gets 50W from EL84s??

I've cured cone cry on a G12H30 by doping the entire cone with Weldwood contact cement (old style, red can). Ted Weber recommended the procedure.

Most of the cone cry problems I've had have been from the 12 to 14th fret, high E string, loud clean tone.

jon

5. LarryN

LarryN Member

Are you sure he meant the whole cone? I think he meant the whole surround.

bluesdoc, read a couple of your stories. Very moving. (Pearl)

Larry

P.S. - I'm in Santa Rosa.