• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Cone Cry Question

gjmarck

Noticed last night some strange anomalies when playing certain higher register notes. Almost like a shadow note along with the note I was playing and I'm guessing this is whats referred to as cone cry. Its an EVM12L with not a lot of hours on it. If my assumption is correct does this go away with time??? Thanks.

gtrnstuff

That describes cone cry, or maybe power supply ripple.
I've not had that with my EVM-12L. I thought those cones were too stiff to cry.
Several other of my speakers have cone cry. Just don't play them as loud, or use them in 2-12 or 4-12 cabs sharing the load.

If the trigger notes are close to B or Bb, you may be hearing power supply ripple in your amp. Sometimes it means filter caps are on the way out. Sometimes that's a symptom of the design, with purposely under-filtered power supply.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
The amp is fairly new and I don't think thats the problem. I think its the speaker.
What amp? What cables? What guitar? Details please....

I personally have never heard a EV12L have cone cry.

gjmarck

I think it was a bad install problem. I rechecked the 4 stews holding it to the baffle and one was super tight. I loosened/retightened all just to snug and for now can't replicate it. Amp is a Fuchs ODS 30; instrument cables are Zaolla; cab/speaker cables are Mulder; guitar is a Strat. With a frame as massive as this I would never have thought that would have been an issue. I'm usually pretty careful that all screws are of like torque but I either screwed up on this one or there was a loosening of some and one stayed tight. I don't think I'll ever know.

Trending Topics