Confession time

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mr. Bertha, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

I don't remember the last time I polished any of my guitars. It's easily been a decade. Frets get polished and fretboard gets cleaned/moisturized with semi-annual setups, but the body and neck pretty much never get cleaned...at most I'll wipe down the neck with a kitchen towel after a sweaty gig or jam session, but that's it. My name is Mr. Bertha and I'm a bad guitar-parent.

Dashface likes this.
  2. SecondFloorTones

SecondFloorTones Member

You're parent of the year compared to me. Since I started playing in 1988 I've done it exactly zero times. Hang on, I wiped the back of the neck on my LP Classic until it stopped being sticky. That was around 2005.

You're doing great.

3. bluesoul

bluesoul Gold Supporting Member

I think you are doing great too! I am in that camp as well...safety in numbers man!

Mr. Bertha likes this.
  4. Russ73

Russ73 Member

OP I don't do anything either, I wipe the sweat off the guitar after a gig or jam like you but otherwise nothing....

Mr. Bertha likes this.
  5. stonem

stonem Member

I clean mine every time I change the strings. I'm meticulous about it.

Mr. Bertha likes this.
  6. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

I don't do anything. I polish frets when I do a refret or a level and crown, other than that I don't polish them. I never wipe my guitars down or clean them either, not even after a gig, I'd rather spend my time playing my guitars than polishing them.

Mr. Bertha likes this.
  7. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

Confession: I like the way relics look
    Additional confession: I have a foot in both camps....relic/anti-relic
    Additional confession: If I want a worn guitar that ISN'T relic'd then meticulous cleaning is an impediment to that wear

I'll clean surfaces after a sweaty night but I make no effort to keep a guitar pristine.

8. russiancrowe

russiancrowe Member

I've got guitars that I've owned since the '70's that I've never cleaned or polished. I just don't see the point. I've never done that for any guitar I've ever owned. I never wipe them down after gigs either.

Mr. Bertha likes this.
  9. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

You're making some of us look bad :beer

stonem likes this.
  10. Devnor

Devnor Member

I like to keep the motor clean.

Mr. Bertha likes this.
  11. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Apart from a quick wipe when changing strings, I don't really clean my guitars.

But I don't really get them very dirty in the normal course of things. My sweat isn't corrosive or anything either. My older guitars only show their age in the form of dings and fretwear.

Mr. Bertha and massacre like this.
  12. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I don't want sweat staying on my guitars, but a little breath and a micro fiber towel does the job. I would rather not put chemicals on my guitars, unless it's absolutely necessary.

13. stonem

stonem Member

I grew up very poor so I learned to take care of the nice stuff I have now. Plus I enjoy the maintenance, I just love guitars! Now my old gigging Axe from my 20s it took a mighty beating over the years.

MartinPiana and Mr. Bertha like this.
  14. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

I'll wipe it off with a damp washrag every now'n'then, because I sling sweat everywhere when I play. That's what I get for living in Texas.

Mr. Bertha likes this.
  15. Genghis

Genghis Member

Ok, so maybe once every 2 or 3 years? That's better than most of us.:)

stonem likes this.
  16. willie k

willie k Silver Supporting Member

I was sickened when I finally scraped all the grunge from the fretboard of my '73 SG. ...Ick... Now I am not meticulous, but I no longer let funk build up. It is not, in fact, mojo, it's just nasty.

17. jhale

jhale Supporting Member

I want them to age so I hardly ever clean them

18. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango Member

Seems to me that keeping it dirty is providing a protective coating from UV, light scratches etc. Does a clean guitar age faster? ;)

19. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

I knew this guy who never cleaned his BBQ grill, said a clean grill didn't cook good tasting meat (I told him restaurants manage, but he shot me down with some weird logic that I couldn't defeat). He'd always leave a pile of ash in the bottom too. He'd just squirt lighter fluid and burn the crap left on the grill and then throw on the meat. I was dubious at first, but he made some damned fine BBQ. I never clean my grill now either. I just burn those bacteria off with copious amounts of fire. What were we talking about again? That's right, not polishing guitars. I guess my point is that it helps with the mojo, just like not cleaning your BBQ grill (supposedly) helps with the flavor of the meat.

Another off-topic post. I just bought another guitar I absolutely did not need. This post reminds me of that because in the pictures I noticed it was smudged on the top :).

Mr. Bertha likes this.
  20. Starshine

Starshine Member

It depends on the guitar. Some (especially nitro) collect crap more than others. If I didn't clean them at least twice a year, they would be covered in scum, no doubt.