Confessions of a former 6v6 user (Goodsell content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by brads, Mar 16, 2006.

1. brads

brads Supporting Member

Having used Fender amps my whole adult life, and owning at one time or another almost every iteration of Blackface and some Tweeds, I thought I had it narrowed down to one tube (actually a pair): the 6v6.

I've had a Swart AST since summer, and all that has been said about this amp is true. It is (to me) the be all and end all of old school 6v6 tone. Loaded with NOS tubes, it is May 1953 in a smoky juke joint somewhere, the valves are glowing, the pipes are sweating, the sound is thick....Oh wait, it's really my smoke-free basement and I'm gagging on my own hyperbole. (Great amp, nonetheless).

Enter the Goodsell Super 17

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had never really considered the EL84 tube for some reason. It doesn't sound American, it's only for high gain, it's fragile and temperamental, it looks like a dang preamp tube, etc. Boy, was I wrong.

I received my Super 17 about 2 weeks ago, and have come to embrace the smallest of power tubes, in no small part because of this great amp. With its simple circuitry and little to impede the signal, it sounds like you're plugging right into the tubes which are in turn hooked up directly to the speaker. Now I know enough about electronics to know there must be a resistor, or a capacitor, or some kind of doodad in there somewhere, but it doesn't sound like it.

My initial worry was that the sound would lack depth or be spikey or sound all English and everything, but that is not the case. It is a full spectrum sound, with enough bass for jazz chord melody work on one end, and all that beautiful chimey stuff on the other end.

In the final analysis, I have come around to the EL84 tube. It seems the most sensitive to playing nuance of all others I've tried. And, of course, when you get the gain up, it is a great ride.

I would like to mention that Richard Goodsell is the real deal. A stand-up guy who seems to know about all there is to know about this stuff, and is passionate in his pursuit of the zeitgeist of that old tube sound.

Did I mention it has reverb?

2. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Since when is sounding "English" bad?
    :mad:

3. Doodad

Doodad Member

Good job man. I was just playing mine. Had to take a beer break after ripping through about 15 songs. I have yet in the month to even start with pedals. Just trying guitars and knob settings for now.

Standby off back to playing.

4. brads

brads Supporting Member

English is good. :) I was just referring to my all-Fender (read: American) amp experience prior to the Goodsell.

5. Reeek

Reeek Member

I love EL84's just like I love 6L6GC's and KT88's and . . . :BEER

I have some fantastic, toneful EL84 amps and love to play them through all different guitars. Everything sounds great.

This may sound weird but I think EL84 amps are at their best in 1x12 combos . . . call me weird.

6. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

:confused:

7. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

Welcome to the Cult of Goodsell, brads. They are truely monster-tone amps. Good to see a picture of one of the first Mk.2's made. The new chassis is a wide open pallet. Got a "knob set up" for you to try: Gain: 12:00; Tone: 5:00 (dimed); Volume: 5:00 (dimed). Do all of your dynamics and tone control with fingers and the guitars controls. I never touch that setting no matter which guitar I am playing from clean to mean (hint: start with any guitars vol. very low and tone at about 7-8 and work your way from there). Talk about each guitars personallity standing out.......
    BZT

8. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

Reverb? Pics please!

9. brads

brads Supporting Member

Thanks, I've been wanting to hear what other Goodsell owners have been using for settings. I've been using Gain: 11:00, Tone: 3:00, and Volume: 12:00, which sounds great. I'll try your settings to really hear the power tubes.

10. mkg

mkg Member

Beautiful amp, congrats! Which speaker did you choose?
    Also, I'm interested in comparisons and impressions regarding old iron vs. new iron.
    If any of you were ordering a Super 17, or having gotten one, had it to do over, would you prefer the new trannies, the old Hammond trannies, or does it really make much difference either way?
    This amp is at the top of my "next purchase" list, I love the sounds I've heard and the look of it.

One other question...is the gain the master volume?

11. brads

brads Supporting Member

It has the Celestion G12H, which has a great tight low end.

I believe mine has the new trannies so I don't have anything to compare it to---maybe Richard can weigh in on that.

I guess the gain is considered the master volume, but the tone control acts as a gain boost past 12:00. They seem to interact with one another in very musical ways.

The notes are so detailed in breakup it's almost like there's an octave thing going on.

12. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

mkg, when I first got my S17 it came stock with the Eminence Private Jack which sounds very good. Richard had talked about putting in the Celestion Heritage G12H30 55Hz, so I went and listened to one at Atlanta Discount Music. I was blown away. I am a huge Greenback fan, so I put one in mine and love it. To be honest, every speaker I have heard in this amp sounds good, even V30's...LOL...
    Between the old Hammond trannies and the new I don't have a preference. Both sound very good with very little difference. This is a good thing. If I ever blow the Hammond I would be very happy with a new one.
    The Gain control is preamp "drive". The Volume knob is the master. The two have switched positions in the newer chassis.....
    BZT

13. brads

brads Supporting Member

I think I have that wrong. The volume control is the master, the gain control is the preamp volume (It's all new to me---I've never owned a master volume amp before).

14. mkg

mkg Member

Thanks, guys...great info.
    :BEER

15. Lil'Strat

Lil'Strat Member

Good afternoon everyone; Richard Goodsell here on my wife's screen name... for the last couple of weeks TGP has been unusable to me as Super 17; hardly lets me sign on, when I'm on, I can't complete a search or send a reply without getting dumped - my wife has the same make/model laptop, same netork, server etc., sitting right next to me and she can navigate freely... anybody got any ideas? Is it possible that I have somehow pissed off The Central Scrutinizer and my membership has been flagged? It's terribly frustrating 'cause ther have been many times I had something possibly useful to say...

Anyway, new tranny, old tranny, doesn't seem to matter - very consistent outcomes, however the MK2 aluminum chassis versions have been exceptionally well-received, and George at ADM says they're the best he's heard yet, though they are an even mix of old/new OTs, and new PTs or 6v Hammond B3 trannies requiring an EZ81 rectifier, which I have enjoyed using lately.

16. mkg

mkg Member

Thanks, Richard. Hope you get your login problems resolved.
    "...very consistent outcomes" is very good to hear.

17. brads

brads Supporting Member

It sounds rich and full (I think its an old long-spring Hammond reverb unit).

18. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Interesting thread. I too have always loved 6v6s, along with 6L6s and sometimes 5881s. Never owned an EL84 amp, really didn't know much about them. Now I'm playing an old Magnatone lots, M10A with 7189A tubes, a closed back 1x12. Those tubes are essentially higher voltage, military spec EL84. Hard to tell the circuit from the tubes, but the 7189As probably have a lot to do with why I like this amp so much. What have been missing all these years? Such cool sounds! Makes me especially curious about the Goodsell. Hope to get a chance to hear one of these sometime soon.

19. Doodad

Doodad Member

Richard, my first thought is that you have spyware. I see it all the time with my users. Run spybot and adaware and see what you get. Dump the temo internet files (cache) and I bet you will be good to go.

I sent an email to the website address not too long ago about possibly upgrading my #39 (the one George had with the tole blem). What did you think of the suggestions and are greenbacks any closer to shipping? I have two months on the deal with George to swap.

Thanks for a great product.

Bart

20. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

My Super 17(Clairmont) is the best recording amp I've ever had. I love playing it on small to medium sized gigs around town.