• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

configuring a jackson

ganzosrevenge

so i'm configuring a jackson, and here's what I have so far... any feedback, questions, if i'm missing anything, is appreciated!

Dream Jackson

• [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]SL1 with Soloist Neck shape, right handed body[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Neck-thru where neck and center section are a SINGLE piece of quartersawn maple. (No Joints anywhere and a dinky-style tung oil finish)[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Wings are Made of old-growth Mahogany[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Ferrari Red into Black 2-tone burst[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Red Binding around body[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Jack goes on top of the body, black jack, strat-style[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Ebony board, 24 jumbo stainless steel frets, with Abalone block inlays, 12” to 16” radius, 25.5” scale[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]BiFlex truss rod (to correct concave and convex bowing)[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Truss Rod adjustment at the headstock, no truss rod cover[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Surrounding BiFlex truss rod will be 2 graphite rods running the length of the neck. One graphite rod on each side of the truss rod to enhance neck stiffness.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Red Binding around the board that goes over the edge of the frets[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]1.5625” width into 2.25” butt (standard 6 string guitar)[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]SL1 neck profile[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]2 Seymour Duncan SSL-1s (neck: rwrp, middle: normal) and one Seymour Duncan Custom 5 (with 4 conductor wiring) in bridge, arranged in a lone-star wiring configuration[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Position 1: full bridge in series (tone 2)[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Position 2: inside coil of bridge in parallel with middle pickup (tone 1 and tone 2)[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Position 3: middle pickup (tone 1)[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Position 4: middle pickup in parallel with neck pickup (tone 1)[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Position 5: neck pickup (tone 1)[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Switch to be used is the super 5-way like on a LoneStar strat, or strat with S-1 switching[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]No bezels around anything, no pickguard, pickups hard mounted to body and body is rear routed for necessary electronics.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Routing: H-S-S and all pickups are to be BLACK, HB has open coils[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Potentiometers:[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]250k bourns low-friction Volume potentiometer with audio taper[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]250k bourns audio taper low-friction tone potentiometer with a Luxe 1951 to 1958 for stratocaster Paper-in-Oil capacitor for the two single coils[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]500k bourns audio taper low-friction tone potentiometer with a Luxe 1956 to 1960 repro bumblebee capacitor for bridge humbucker.[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Knobs are metal domes. Volume is black, Tone 1 is VERY dark red, tone 2 is heritage cherry[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Headstock: Strat shaped, with a black Jackson logo (a la the adrian smith signature) with Schaller Locking tuners, and bone nut cut to accommodate .010 to .046 strings[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Schaller straplocks, with one straplock on the smaller horn (a la Jimi) to accommodate for a left-handed player.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Schaller locking tuners, the schaller straplocks, the stratocaster style jackplate, need to be black in color[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Where the bridge clamps to the body, the ferrules go into the body, there is to be NO Paint in that area[/FONT]
    • [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Thin nitrocellulose finish over the body, tung oil finish on neck (as mentioned above)[/FONT]
Any help would be appreciated!

Jason

Bonus points if someone could make a composite of what this thing would look like!

Last edited:

rob2001

This doesn't sound like a Jackson, more of a custom neck thru S style, not particularly a Jackson.

ganzosrevenge

This doesn't sound like a Jackson, more of a custom neck thru S style, not particularly a Jackson.
yea I know... so you tell me what would make it more jacksony without going SUPER high-gain and shreddy... i want it to look somewhat stratty while being a neckthru

deluxemeat

is old growth mahogany sold for premium pricing?
i ask cos i find that on neckthrus like jacksons and bc richs the wood used for the neck and bodycenter portions tend to dominate the overall tone.

ganzosrevenge

is old growth mahogany sold for premium pricing?
i ask cos i find that on neckthrus like jacksons and bc richs the wood used for the neck and bodycenter portions tend to dominate the overall tone.
yes... it's just at this point a composite... ie: a scaffold

rob2001

To me, a few things that say "Jackson would be Sharkfins, and the headstock....but that looks kinda shreddy. But thats what Jacksons are sort of known for. I think if you just take the "Jackson" part out of the equation and go with your plan, you'll have a great neckthru strat type guitar. What is it about the Soloist you want to translate? FWIW, I own a 91 Soloist.....my main guitar.

ganzosrevenge

To me, a few things that say "Jackson would be Sharkfins, and the headstock....but that looks kinda shreddy. But thats what Jacksons are sort of known for. I think if you just take the "Jackson" part out of the equation and go with your plan, you'll have a great neckthru strat type guitar. What is it about the Soloist you want to translate? FWIW, I own a 91 Soloist.....my main guitar.
i love the heelless feeling first and foremost... I also don't want it to look shreddy though, I want it to look like a sleeper that can go "ok, ya wanna see a jackson... HERES A F**KING JACKSON!"

if you guys leave parts suggestions that could help with the above mentality, that too could help!

Jason

Sounds like a plan to me - here's my unconventional un-Jackson Jackson SL2 neckthru:

More in a bit. This was a guitar from a limited edition of 250. I have black binding on the neck
and an ebony fingerboard with no inlays. Kent Armstrong humbuckers, Floyd, etc.

Neck joint:

Rear of the guitar:

Trad Jackson headstock:

Frontside again:

If you want to hear what it sounds like, check out the track 'eta carinae' at my aliensporebomb
myspace site or the new track 'espionage' which is more hard edged.

It can have a metal attitude or a jazz/rock fusion attitude. You might be surprised at what a
guitar like this can do.

Last edited:

ganzosrevenge

aliensporebomb

my attitude is from 60s rock to sabbath / king crimson / zappa to motorhead. As much as I love jacksons, I like things a bit off-kilter from the norm. My current strat is one of the guitar center mahogany editions that's gotten a bit less wiring, a bit hotter of a bridge, and machine bolts to name a few. I like things basically simple, stealthy, yet all around high-speed.

+1 for saying your SL2 is one of the most awesome soloists I've seen. I'm not a fan of flamey complex tops... give me simple and to the point, maybe a burst, and I'm happy! LOVING that soloist aliensporebomb!

Jason

Roodyrocker

I love Jacksons! One thing that may throw a wrench into your project is that the only current Jacksons produced with a Strat type headstock are the PC-1 and the soon to be released Adrian Smith signature Jackson. Both are bolt ons. As far as I know they won't put a Strat headstock on a Jackson for you other than these current two models. I'm not entirely sure about that as I prefer the Jackson pointy headstock to anything else. You will also have one joint which is up at the headstock area. Figured I'd mention that since you said no joints anywhere. Binding over the fret ends is available but a pretty expensive option. A few years ago I saw it was about a $400-600 upcharge! Anyway, I think Jackson makes the best custom guitars :)

Trending Topics