Confirming pedal order

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pinelake, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Pinelake

Pinelake Member

I've switched back to guitar from keys and playing in an R&B-Funk group. Need to dial in much of the Nile Rodgers - 80's funk sound. I've picked up an MXR Dyna Comp to put on the board. Never used compression other than overdrive.

Here's what I have in current order. Would you reorganize?

Guitar>Tuner>Wah>Compression>Noise Gate>Overdrive>EHX delay>amp.

I run one delay through the effects loop and use the EHX mainly for a more pronounced clean signal

Thanks

2. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

That looks fine to me. I might put the noise gate after the OD, but that's prob trial and error.
    Another way to cop the sound may be to roll back the guitar volume significantly enough to get a softer attack / faster decay. When I think funk, that's what I think (along with a very loose right hand)

DCMC Worship, BMX and Pinelake like this.
  3. Pinelake

Pinelake Member

Thank you

4. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

agreed, typically the gate would be more effective after the gain pedal but if it sounds good like that its right.

5. Andynorth14

Andynorth14 Member

Hey forgive my ignorance on this - I have roughly the same order on my board but no noise gate - am I missing something critical? Appreciate any advice (and apologize if I'm hijacking the thread).

6. Pinelake

Pinelake Member

I don't always engage the noise gate. Depends on where I'm playing and whether I'm getting signal interference.

7. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

"Noisy" power (poor grounding, or bad ground loops, or lots of interference from lights, etc.) can give a buzz to the sound coming out of the amp. If you don't experience it, I wouldn't worry about it. If you do experience it, you'll know.

8. Lestercollector

Lestercollector Supporting Member

I don't always drink beer, but when I do I drink it with the noise gate after the dirt.... stay noise free my friends...... lol sorry, couldn't resist.

9. MattLeFevers

MattLeFevers Member

I have roughly the same order but I actually have the noise gate before the compressor. There are two schools of thought on those - if the noise is coming from your guitar pickups, put it first so that the compressor and dirts and everything are receiving a cleaned up signal, or - if the noise is coming from your dirt pedals, put the noise gate almost last in chain.

I've found that having the gate first removes most of the noise I was hearing and is more subtle than hearing it gate my dirt pedals but I think the second way might be arguably more common.

Overall I think that order is good!

Pinelake likes this.
  10. Phase45child

Phase45child Member

This pedal order post looks sure to follow the others in proving that the best way to determine the correct order is to get off the internet and experiment with the pedals yourself.

11. Pinelake

Pinelake Member

True, everyone hears things in their own fashion. Never hurts to check with the many already having experience and opinion. The only rule is truly no rule. Rather than busting my entire board apart, I hoped to be able to fine tune with a potential switch here and there.

12. Pinelake

Pinelake Member

Hmmm... I use three guitars, one with Humbuckers, one with Single Coil and one with P90's. They each have their own noise or lack thereof issues.