Conflicting Info on COT50 Gold's tone knob

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Craftmatic, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

I just bought a COT50 Gold (new silver tour pro smd version) in the Emporium and the tone knob works opposite of the the way it does in the ProGuitarShop video. In the video it rolls off the high end and increases bass going CCW. But on my pedal when you turn it all the way CCW, the pedal is louder, more strident - turn it CW and it quiets up and has less treble.

In March of '07 Sean posted that the "Cot50 gold has the powerscale tone control (no treble bleed to ground, just smoothes out the tone, dynamics stay PERFECTLY intact). However the one on ProGuitarShop's site has a "vintage tone stack" knob. Very confusing.

My COT50 Gold is the silver tour pro smd version - looks just like the one on ProGuitarShop but maybe Sean changed the tone knob function on this model at some point. Anyone know about this?

2. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Mines the white one with the " vintage tone stack " But in general it just smooths out the tone as well and is very subtle...also, it interacts very much with the other controls( I think I posted in anither thread you had going about the cot gold :) )

Let me ask you this - if you set your controls like they do on the PGS video durinf the " favorite setting " does it sound like yours ?? That how you'll tell if theres a difference.

I forget what direction my tone knob seems to smooth the highs a bit, but i can check if you want.....and as mentione the tone/volume knob interact.

Are you getting sounds you like ??

3. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Andre, could you please check it for me? I know all the knobs interact.

4. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Ok man, no prob.

Look for a post tonight or tomorrow ( from the " day Gig " )....

5. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Thanks, bro!

6. Andre357

Andre357 Member

Ok Craftmatic - I fooled with it last night -

Mine works just like the one shown in the Proguitarshop video....When my volume knob is at around 2 - 3 PM ( about where I usually keep it ). The lowest CCW setting seems to add a bit more low end and make it sound fuller.

BUT, when I have my volume around noon ( sometimes I keep it at this setting for weddings and such where I really need to keep my volume in check ).... I raise the tone to about 10 or 11 o clock CW and it seems to give me a fuller sound. So as I've mentioned the tone knob seems to have some sort of see/saw EQ thing going on dependant on the volume level ( sort of hard to articulate ). But in general, I think I have the same model as shown in the PGS video.

Owning both standard Blue COT 50 and COT gold, I've had the chance to A/b them and have found I can get the gold to sound virtually the same as the cot blue.

The gold perhaps a bit more of very subtle grainy quality that sounds fantastic with certain guitars ( My tele in particular )....

So what do you think of the Gold ?? It knocked by some and I never understood why.

7. Craftmatic

Craftmatic Member

Here's what Sean had to say:

"The power scale tone control is a vintage tone stack, so it would be the same thing. It's just a different way of rolling the tone off or softening the signal without bleeding anything to ground (like a normal guitar tone control does). You might experience something else than the PGS video concerning their rig set up, but its the exact same circuit."

He quickly responded to my email in which I asked if there was a difference between the Gold's "power scale tone control" and the "vintage tone stack." So the answer is no - that there is no difference between your Gold, the PGS Gold and mine. I just got it yesterday so I haven't had time to test it out at higher volumes (because the entire family is home for the holiday) to try your settings.

In answer to your question, I love the Gold. It's a different animal than the Blue (I have both too). They each are great in their own right. The Blue seems to have a more pronounced low end and the Gold has more sustain. I also really like being able to fiddle with the volume & tone knobs on th Gold. I don't understand why people knock it. I also don't understand why he stopped making them.

Anyway, Andre, thanks so much for going to the trouble to check this out for me. BTW, my name is Andy.