Confused about ohms -- school the noob

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by eicca, Apr 12, 2015.

1. eicca

eicca Member

So my amp has two speaker outputs and says no more than 4 ohms combined. It has no impedance switch so I can hook up anything and it handles it automatically. I understand the water pipe analogy for impedance, kind of, but I still don't understand what happens if I run a 16-ohm speaker in place of my stock 8-ohm. Or thrown a 16-ohm 4x12 cab in there. Or two 8-ohm cabs. Does higher impedance mean a louder speaker? Or a softer speaker? Why?

:dunno

2. FFTT

FFTT Member

Sounds like your amp is designed to run One 8 Ohm cab or Two 8 Ohm cabs for a combined load of 4 Ohms.

3. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

First of all, there are some great books about amps, speakers, and such. Even some of the user's manuals such as Mesa, and Jim Kelley, which are online are an excellent resource. Second....what kind of amp do you have?

4. eicca

eicca Member

It's a TubeWorks RT-2100. What I mainly want to know is what happens to the sound when impedance changes.

5. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Since that is a SS amp, my guess is that the amp wants to see a minimum 4 ohm load. Less and it will fry more and you lose some wattage.

6. eicca

eicca Member

So a 16-ohm cab would not be as loud as a 4-ohm then.