Confused on something Strat-related

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MORE BARN, Jan 27, 2012.

1. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

Been trying to get some info on Strats (never owned one), and have read many of the recent threads here, etc. Basically what it boils down to is I like that "rubbery" tone they seem to have, maybe not as "in your face" or aggressive as certain Tele sounds. Now, is this a function of less mass, springs, a combination, etc.?

If the trem is blocked, isn't that like having a "hardtail"? Would you still get that rubbery (I've heard it called 'sproing-y') tone? Or would using 5 springs give a similar result? I want to get one, but I don't use/need the trem.

Finally, I was reading somewhere that if you really bend a string while playing another, you can throw the tuning off (it has something to do with the trem or something along those lines)?

So basically, I like the sound, but want to minimize tuning issues and do not need to use the trem-what would be the best way to proceed with that in mind?

Thanks

M/B

2. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

In my experience, the springs & inertia block make much of the tone of a strat - added to the out-of-phase inbetween tones on the selector - and the positioning of the neck pickup that pulls on the strings at the point of a natural harmonic.

A hardtail won't have the springiness at all, but will definitely have the other characteristics.

3. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

4. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

+1 on this. If the strat is set up well with decent parts staying in tune won't be an issue.

5. MORE BARN

MORE BARN Member

Right, this is what I was getting at...it's that "springiness" sound I'm after, so I did hear a hardtail and didn't hear that as much...more "Tele-like" I guess. So what I want is to have that springy tone, yet I don't have any need for the whammy bar use (I just don't use it in my playing).

6. Drewski

Drewski Silver Supporting Member

Just keep the bar in the case! Thats where most guys keep them!

7. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Just leave the bar in the case. They're a great guitar. You'll probably take to it like a duck to water. [​IMG]