• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Confusion ... Gibson Mini Humbucker specs

RouseTheBoroughs

Silver Supporting Member
Was checking this on the Firebird ...

Gibson High-Output, Ceramic Mini Humbuckers

The introduction of the mini humbucker in the late-1960s served a growing need—the demand for a P-90-sized pickup with no hum. Gibson's world-class engineers set about creating a smaller, more compact humbucker to fit into the slot of a P-90. With its smaller size, narrow magnetic field, and unique design combination, the mini humbucker produces a bright and focused output, while still retaining Gibson's famous humbucker performance. The mini humbucker was first made available in several Gibson-made Epiphone models of the late 1960s, and the Les Paul Deluxe in the early 1970s. Today, it is best known as the pickup in the Gibson Firebird, and is a vintage replica of the original mini humbucker with bar Alnico II magnets. The Gibson mini humbucker is authentic in every detail, from its cream-colored plastic mounting and coated enamel wire, to its maple spacers and vintage braided lead wire. The tone is unmistakable Gibson. And,

Rumblefish

:agreeI had my new Firebird VII for several weeks waiting for some Antiquities to replace the crappy,unbelievably awful ear bleed inducing factory pickups.I don't get into the trendy Gibson bashing but, really, to say their mini's sound like the vintage pickups is ridiculous.Would it cost more for them to make good sounding pickups?I just don't get it.Lollar or S.D. mini hums are now my all time favorite pickups.Nothing else sounds like good mini hums.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
The people writing those descriptions are probably pretty ignorant of guitars or Gibson history and just trying to put together a few decent paragraphs- not professional guitarists or Gibson gearheads/historians. Hence the contradictions and confabulations in that writing. In general however, few things are as potentially confusing as the varieties and differences in mini-humbucker pickups.

mark norwine

Who writes this crap?

Gibson High-Output, Ceramic Mini Humbuckers

The introduction of the mini humbucker in the late-1960s served a growing need—the demand for a P-90-sized pickup with no hum. Gibson's world-class engineers set about creating a smaller, more compact humbucker to fit into the slot of a P-90. With its smaller size, narrow magnetic field, and unique design combination, the mini humbucker produces a bright and focused output, while still retaining Gibson's famous humbucker performance.
Ok....I guess I agree with that.

The mini humbucker was first made available in several Gibson-made Epiphone models of the late 1960s, and the Les Paul Deluxe in the early 1970s.
Well, yes. The (Les Paul type) mini did have it's origins in the Epiphone line (although earlier than "the late 60's"), but even those were different from each other.

Today, it is best known as the pickup in the Gibson Firebird,
Nope. Wrong. The Firebird was, is & always has been a totally different animal. Different design & construction altogether.

....and is a vintage replica of the original mini humbucker with bar Alnico II magnets.
Hey Gibson...are you reading this? The Bird is a different animal. NEVER had an A2 magnet. Never had a single bar magnet at all! 'Bird pickups had A5 magnets (2 of them), one in the middle of each winding. Today, they're ceramic........but they're totally different from a Les Paul style.

The Gibson mini humbucker is authentic in every detail, from its cream-colored plastic mounting and coated enamel wire, to its maple spacers and vintage braided lead wire.
....and THAT's a description of the Les Paul type.

The tone is unmistakable Gibson. And,
Which tone? The Bird pickup's tone or the LP's tone?

Who writes this crap?

XBic

I must not be searching for a vintage firebird tone, because I love the ceramics in my FBV! :D

That is a horribly, horribly written paragraph, however. :agree
(I know next to nothing about the history of Gibbo minihums and I could still spot the inconsistencies there.)

It is kind of like the marketing group that we have at the IT Dept where I work. They write up all these technical docs to be published on the web or in print that have to be run past us first because they are usually completely wrong.

Waxhead

Ok you mini humbucker experts.
Can anyone give me an exact ID or history of these mini hummies in my 1997 SG Deluxe. They were stock fitted in the Gibson SG Deluxe models only made in the 70's and then in 97/98.

I don't know anything about em other than they're mini's and sound great. They still deliver very classic SG distortion/OD tones but are better clean IMHO than standard SG's.

Last edited:

sleepingtiger

Gold Supporting Member
They are probably the current issue ceramics, but hook up an ohm meter & if they measure between 6-7k, you got lucky! If they measure about 3 times that, they're the new ones.

Tony

RouseTheBoroughs

Silver Supporting Member
K, well true enough the standard ceramics sound like Mega Super Alpha Crap

So I AB'd it with a lollar mini I had from a SG build a while back and the difference is ... like ... I went from fingernail chalkboard grind to ... well ... lollar

The bridge is even worst although the guitar feels unbelievable, the neck is incredible and the guitar balances pretty well.

I'm at work right now and wondered what actually can fit in that pickup cavity ? would a P-90 fit ? buckers ? what can I shove in there ?

amc

Better yet, get a pair of Lollar's Firebird minis. They are very articulate while having a sweetness that the originals didn't have (IMHO).

Cheers,
+1
The Lollar Firebird minis are some of my favorite pickups
(the 4-conductor wired Lollars also split very well)

sleepingtiger

Gold Supporting Member
Put some standard issue Duncan vintage minis & change the covers(that ugly logo!) & you'llbe good to go! Cool guitar BTW!

Tony

robinsnd

I had a '64 Firebird VII and now own a copper 2003 VII and i like the sound of the(newer) ceramics much better. The vintage PUs were clanky and too bright at high volumes - just like the old Epiphone PUs - had a 65 Riviera and the same problem - neck pu was great for jazz though...
Trying a Seymour Duncan SM-2 in the bridge - They're a cool company.

mark norwine

old thread.....in which I said I liked the ceramic FB pickup.

Time has changed that opinion, and mine have been yanked in favor of a more-traditional AlNiCo FB pickup design.

If any of you guys who like these ceramic pickups want one, I still have the bridge pickup (The neck got sold). PM me if you want to romance it out of my junkdrawer...

Trending Topics