Confusion over the use of delay pedals, straighten me out please

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by blackie59, Feb 7, 2012.

1. blackie59

blackie59 Member

I play a lot of blues/classic rock at home after my wife and I put the kids to bed. I'm building a small pedal board and after reading lots of posts on this site decided I'd try using a delay pedal (never used one before). So, I ordered an MXR Carbon Copy and got it yesterday but I'm not feeling a great deal of excitement over it. I followed advice from searches to use the mix on a low setting, up the regen, and play around with the delay knob. Here's my confusion, after working with it and experimenting I seem to have the pedal set to sound like a reverb effect that fattens the sound without sounding like U2 or Pink Floyd. Is that what the effect is supposed to do or would a simple reverb pedal work if all I want to do is get a little fatter wet sound as opposed to the dry guitar signal. I thought I'd just try the pedal and if I didn't like it I'd return it so that's why I'm asking. If it makes any difference, my pedals board so far goes, guitar>dirt>chorus>delay>amp. Thanks in advance.

2. Blix

Blix Member

What are you after is the question. Personally I set delays to around 350ms with a couple repeats and keep the volume balanced for a nice sound, not high enough to be cluttering, but far from bone dry. The CC is fairy dark sounding as far as I can recall, maybe you're after something brighter, or a reverb?... :)

3. surlypants

surlypants Member

If you want to get a U2 / Pink Floyd sound, then you're going about it the wrong way. That sound is exactly the opposite of what you've dialed-in. Start with about 40% wet mix and adjust your delay time and feedback to taste.

4. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

it really does depend on how you want to use it... if you're doing blues stuff, then you're settings are perfect (i use my delay like this to fatten up the tone, but it's different than a reverb pedal... just a different overall character) but if you want a U2/Pink Floyd sound, something with a dotted 8th type of tone would be better. The Carbon Copy is better for ambient stuff, but if you want something to cover bluesy stuff and Floyd stuff, something with a tap-tempo would be great- I'd personally recommend either a Visual Sound Dual Tap Delay or Tap Delay (should be in stores this summer)

5. blackie59

blackie59 Member

6. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

7. Daniel-San

Daniel-San Member

Indeed...if you like this sound, then you got it right ;-)
    You could also try a light slap-back echo. Dial in a fairly short delay time, 3 to 5 repeats and get the mix up a little, just so you hear the first repeat better. Sounds good on some blues tracks

8. blackie59

blackie59 Member

Thanks guys I'll play around with it this afternoon before the kids show up and see if I like it before flipping it back to the dealer.

9. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

for fatting up chords, that is basically how you do it and a lot of people prefer it to a reverb because delay seems to hold together better than reverb and not wash over itself or get as noisy if dialed in correctly (I know this is general, but...). You might also try using the delay for leads. Still use a modest delay time maybe add a repeat or two and bring the mix up a touch. You can still keep the delay as a background effect, but having it on leads really can fatten things up and make runs sing and flow together really well. That's why I have gotten into the need for 2 delays or delay's with at least a second preset, 1 for chords and rhythm and 1 setting for leads, and if I want longer I can always reach down and tweak, but I like 2 settings at least ready to go.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It's funny, modern "reverb" pedals are actually very short delays with multiple feedback effects, often based on the same PT2399 chips that are used for inexpensive (and some very expensive, think Deep Blue Delay) pedals. So, you're on the right track. My favorite pedal for introducing some ambience to a dry guitar signal is the EQD Ghost Disaster which combines their Ghost Reverb (4 PT2399s!) with their Delay. I set it for just audible effects of both and turn them on and it sounds great without washing out the clean tone or dropping me in the mix...

11. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

This sums things up for me.

I have a reverb with my 2 delays, but if I had to pick one, it would be a slap back delay. Best of bot worlds IMO.

12. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Delay is a very useful and adaptable effect.

The way you have it setup gives your tone some of the depth and space that reverb provides but without muddying up the tone the way reverb can. I tend to prefer this kind of subtle delay to reverb - ESPECIALLY with distortion and especially with distorted solos.

Just turn up the mix and lengthen the delay time for more of an ambient sound.

Another great sound is a very short slap back delay: a single fairly loud repeat that comes almost (but not quite) instantly after the initial note. Anywhere from 50-250ms qualifies.

13. blackie59

blackie59 Member

Played around with the delay pedal tonight and I'm going to keep it. I found the best results with the Regen set at 11:00, the mix at about 8:00, and the delay at 2:00. Sounded good with my chorus pedal as well. I'll work with my overdrive pedal and the delay tomorrow and see how it goes but I'm glad I got the pedal now. Thanks again for all your advice. This is really a great forum.

14. SteveO

SteveO Member

You won't regret keeping it. Delay is probably the most versatile effect you can have, as it can do SO MUCH once you've taken the time to experiment with it.

15. bshields

bshields Member

I use a carbon copy for the fattening of time you describe, OP. I was a bit underwhelmed at first too, but live with it for a while and you might fall in love with that sound. PS, turn off the modulation if using it on short delay times

16. jcarpenter

jcarpenter Supporting Member

+1 It's a great live pedal and turn off the modulation for better repeats and volume on the mix knob.

It also depends on your signal and what you are running before it. If you have adjustment level controls on your effects loop, you may want to try working with that. Push up the send level a bit past unity gain if you can. You may want to place a buffer few pedals before if you run a lot true bypass pedals.

17. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

Another vote for the CC. It does what it does very well. I suggest watching some videos to get an idea of the various settings. The modulation CAN be fun too. With one almost-instant repeat it will act as a chorus pedal. I prefer less than 50% speed and more than 50% depth for modulated repeats. There are internal trim pots for this that are easy to adjust. Also, the modulation sounds better on longer delay times than short (unless you're trying to use it as a chorus. Anyway, enjoy. Delay takes a lot of getting to know the effect and the pedal. They are all so different. Much more than OD's or chorus pedals.

18. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

I play a similar type of music and this is how I set my delay up. I used to also use my amps reverb also, but find my tone is clearer just using the delay.

19. BoiceBox

BoiceBox Member

Try a short delay time, low mix, and only one repeat for my favourite kind of slapback sound.

20. sahertian

sahertian Member

A cc is not so pronounced as an ex. Tc flashback because of his darkness.