Confusion regarding Rectifier Tube on Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Telemach, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Telemach

Telemach Member

I have been puzzled over a few charts that differ in what the right rectifier on a DR should be.
    The amp's sticker inside the cab sys 5U4GB while other sources in the net, even w/o mentioning modifications, state that it was GZ34.
    I'm not intending to modify my DR. I want it just stock. Anybody knows why there are different recommendations?

2. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

3. wyatt

wyatt Member

Blackface and RI's use GZ34, most Silverface used 5U4. Fender probably made the switch to the 5U4 because of price, but the higher current draw and bigger voltage drop of the 5U4 probably meant a change in PT specs to use them.

4. Telemach

Telemach Member

Sorry for my ignorance what does this mean? PT? And what does current draw affect tonewise? Is it more a question of impact and wear on the tubes when higher voltage draw occurs?

5. Telemach

Telemach Member

Ouups, looks like pokey's link is going to shed some light on my question

6. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Right, Fender switched from GZ34 to 5U4 in the Silverface era. If the tube chart says 5U4 then that's the one for the amp in question.

7. SkippyD

SkippyD Member

8. Telemach

Telemach Member

Thanks guys, no experiment from my side. I'll get me a new 5U4 rather than a GZ.

9. zenas

zenas Member

With a 5u4 look into an NOS tube. That tubes not priced to high in NOS a NOS GZ34 on the other hand is around 200 bucks.

10. Telemach

Telemach Member

Well, I'm fortunate to have a friend who usually has a large stock of NOS tubes. Not sure if he can get me this one. I'll try to call him later nand see what>'s up. On the other hand I play music and do lead a local jam where we, the opener band let all the other musicians play over our gear. I only play about 10% of my gear's playing time. The rest of the time guest musicians play my gear (except most of the times, not my guitar) So I don't really opt. for really expensive NOS tubes unless I'll have any studio jobs.
    I'll see what I can get.

11. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Just a thought:

A buddy of mine has the best sounding BF deluxe reverb I've heard. Two things he's doing different, might be responsible. One is using a weber silver bell ceramic speaker. The other is using a Philco 5R4WGB rectifier, the odd-shaped "potato masher" tube. This same tube has proved to be the magic for me in a Sewell Wampus Cat. They're on the cheap side for NOS, might be worth checking out. Be sure to rebias if you do try one.
    MD

12. Telemach

Telemach Member

Philco eh, ...I'll ask for that one too. With the speaker I'll have to do more research. Every tip is much appreciated. Thanx for the pointers.

13. megatonic

megatonic Member

You should try out the Weber "Copper Cap".

http://www.webervst.com/ccap.html

14. zenas

zenas Member

I don't think an NOS rectifier will sound better than the same type of new one. Just that the NOS ones last longer. So if the price ain't much more for NOS that's what I'd get.
    And by all means try a few different types. Just keep an eye on bias and current draw. Good info on most of the tube venders sites.

15. Telemach

Telemach Member

Well, I've already built me a device that did exactly what the Copper Cap is doing long before I knew of its' existence. A friend of mine who knows things very well, once draw me circuit and made me a list of what resistors that should be involved. I took it a step further and had implemented a rotary switch that could choose between different grades of sag. All that went into my Hot Rod Deluxe which was my trunk amp at this time. It worked pretty well and with my custom made 2 X 10" panel w. Jensen speakers this brown tolex version of a HR Deluxe was very sweet and a lot more Fenderish in sound than w. its' orig trim. I ebayed the HR Deluxe to Finland which was a major hassle regarding wrapping it up BTW. The guy was lucky having stolen it from me at a very decent prize. Ouups, old men talk too much, anyway,.....aaahm yeah, 5the copper cap has a wire in cooperated to simulate tube heat which is absolutely nonesense and only good for the fuzzy warm feeling of the customer.
    Anyway, I thought that it was sounding O.K., but for some irational reason I prefer the orig. tube as long as I can use a tube. With the Hot Rod this wouldn√Ąt have been possible. Thanx for the pointer though.

16. megatonic

megatonic Member

Whew! You're way ahead of me on that curve.
    I tried the Copper Cap with my Lonestar Classic and ended up using it for the durability factor. Took a degree of tube failure worry out of the equation, and my amp still sounded good. I like your rotary switch feature,it's a great idea.

Anyway, good luck with the tube thing.

17. Custom Deluxe

Custom Deluxe Member

Not sure about this. I don't think any of the new production tubes are "true" GZ34's. There are some differences that may matter, just exactly sure what they are off hand.

18. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Over here the original 5U4s aren't too dear. I have a large recent and decent Russian one too. I think this is one [a shot from another TGP thread]...nice big glass appearance [half the fun, right?]
    [​IMG]

19. Telemach

Telemach Member

Looks like a Chinese built.

20. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Yes. I had been using a 5V4 in my DR, bringing the plate voltage down to about 425v-430v, but recently went with a GE blackplate 5R4GYB. This brings my plate voltage down to about 400v-405v. It's not only easier on the 6V6's but it sounds great too. The highs are smoother due to the extra sag and compression of the 5R4.