Congrats to Pete Thorn

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by ColorBlindJames, Jun 19, 2019.

1. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

There are many more bad immigration lawyers than good ones. The form instructions are usually self-explanatory, but lawyers need to sell their services. Truthfully, in so many instances their services just aren't necessary. It's just worth it to many to pay for the piece of mind, but you end up providing all the documentation the lawyers need in the end so you end up doing the legwork. They often just slap on a form letter and make photocopies.

The entire process can be overwhelming, but mostly it just consumes a lot of time (and money if you go the lawyer route). There are so many green card options available, however, and I think natural born citizens would actually be surprised at how permissive the system is, bureaucracy aside. If you have a degree and a job offer, you're in, provided you have lots of time to wait if you are from certain countries with a backlog (Canada is not among those with a backlog). Even if you have zero skills and a job offer, you can get a green card. In the case of Pete, he likely went the green card equivalent of his O visa, which should've been a no brainer given his employment history. But yeah, it can require a lot of documentation in order to demonstrate that you are a bigwig compared to others.

2. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I think it probably varies as to what the two countries are. Certainly being a citizen of an EU country would be a big help within Europe.

But I had a friend in my company's London office who was from Kenya. Even before the EU. Living in England, the job required a lot of world travel. He was constantly having to get visas as a Kenyan, once he got UK citizenship that eased up a lot because they had more agreements with more countries.

Don't know, might not make a lot of difference for a dual Canada/US citizen.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    frankencat likes this.
  3. BuddyGuit

BuddyGuit Silver Supporting Member

Congratulations Pete!

4. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I was just thinking when I got to this post, I hope the mods decide to delete offending posts and not just close the thread, because the thread itself is so worth keeping.

Glass Onion likes this.
  5. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

If people report instead of arguing for 10 pages before reporting, it's usually saveable.

6. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

2 suspensions

What part of no politics isn’t clear?

NorCal_Val, Glass Onion and gennation like this.
  7. jujube

jujube Member

This is why I left the U.S. in 1997 for a better life in Canada. My green card process got reset because my employer missed a paperwork submission deadline by a few days. I could not afford to hire a lawyer to navigate through this process and left it to the somewhat inexperienced staff at my employer.

Not willing to start all over again after three years, I applied to immigrate to Canada. The process was so transparent and needed no lawyer or outside help. They approved my permanent residency in four weeks based on the score I got and my qualifications!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Washburnmemphis and hubberjub like this.
  8. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

You should have brought your Suhr guitar and amp to the swearing in and busted out a nice Star Spangled Banner for the crowd.

Congrats and welcome to the tribe :)

FiestaRed, frdagaa and fetchmybeer like this.
  9. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

10. unoguitar

unoguitar Member

I don't remember getting the swell diploma and certificate w/case when I was borned? :confused:

11. sertshark

sertshark Member

Very cool!!!!!! And well-dressed, I must add.

12. superdave2001

superdave2001 Member

NOW America is Great Again!

:)

R3deemed and Electric I like this.
  13. Electric I

Electric I Member

14. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

Hmm I disagree in general. It’s imperative to have a good lawyer if applying for an O1 or a green card. For a simple P2 (say if you book a short tour in the US), that might be something you can handle on your own.

The O1 is tough, it’s a visa for “an alien of extraordinary ability“ and Sm essentially they want to see that you have big big credits, lots of press and international acclaim- early in my career, they flat out told me I just wouldn’t qualify for that yet. Hence why I needed seven consecutive P2 visas, and time to put together press, build my career etc. My green card case- which is an even higher burden of proof that an O1- when I saw the amount of preparation involved- it looked like an encyclopedia of my entire professional life. Essentially the goal of your lawyer would be to make it seem like you are Clapton. Any awards, letters of reference- press- You need to put it all together. There is no way I could’ve prepared that by myself. And if you don’t cross the T‘s and dot the Is, you risk being denied having to start over from scratch

It’s also just not as easy as you make it sound, it’s a real tough burden of proof- an O1 or a green card, If you have an employer based case and you have to go through the whole labor certification process- that can take so so long as well.

lexreverb, fetchmybeer, J-PPP and 2 others like this.
  15. M29

M29 Supporting Member

Congratulations!!!

16. Rico Alan

Rico Alan Silver Supporting Member

Congratulations, Pete. Thanks for all the great videos.

But .....hold on a second ....who is that guy? This is the real Pete Thorn...

[​IMG]

Or, in the words of two guys with a vast knowledge of music history : "Where's Eddie?" "They can't fire Van Halen from Van Halen!"

17. jujube

jujube Member

:rotflmao

18. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

We aren't really disagreeing on much, I don't think. The process is certainly intimidating. Your experience is personal to you and not uncommon for people going the route you did. Your case is legitimate, and it certainly helps to have guidance when pursuing the O1/E11 route. And presumably, you had a good lawyer recommended to you by somebody who went a similar route. It sounds like you did, as they looked long term rather than short and provided you with some sound advice.

When I say more are bad than good, that is my personal experience as well, albeit one that is (without getting into details) well informed. There are too many attorneys that pursue the types of visa you did for their clients with the intent to just take the money and run. Most visas are fairly straightforward (such as those involving labor certifications-- a process which has been much shortened in the last 15 years or so), but the ones which involve some degree of subjective determination (E11, E12, or the national interest waiver visa) tend to attract a number of sketchy lawyer types who talk their often desperate clients into throwing out a ton of money for something they know full well they don't qualify for.

In the end, I'm glad it all worked out for you, as it should have. Your case-- properly documented-- would be among the easier approvals for that classification, particularly among the musicians pursuing the same visa.

19. jcmusic

jcmusic Member

Glad to have you Pete! Congratulations!!

20. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

It does sound like you know your stuff, you must be an attorney! :)

I agree, many horror stories I’ve heard could be the result of incompetent attorneys selling their clients a pipe dream...

Anyway I’m glad it’s all said and done! :)

Thanks again you guys. Overall really nice thread and I appreciate your sentiments! I was at Sweetwater Gearfest yesterday and it was so nice that many folks I met made a point to congratulate me on citizenship.