Congratulations to Greg Germino with this month's Tone Quest Feature!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Yossi, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Yossi

Yossi Member

Awesome article and interview with the Tone Quest this month.
    Am I ever glad I got my Lead 55LV already.

Check it out!

2. cg

cg Silver Supporting Member

Is it online anywhere??

3. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

4. archtopjazz

archtopjazz Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

5. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

What model is the LV55 based on? I've got one and love it. Mine only has the tube rect. is the upgrade to the ss switchable worth it? I've been thinking about sending it to Greg for a while now.

6. dewman

early 68-69 50 watt superlead, but with the lower plate voltages, so a softer amp. just an amazing amp, no overdrive pedal needed!

7. Yossi

Yossi Member

I looked and came up empty. I just signed up for Tonequest last month and so far I have really enjoyed the feature on David Grissom and this month's article on Greg Germino. It is several pages long and goes through each one of his amps and which Marshall they are based on. A very informative and interesting read.

Here are some quotes from the article: (They reviewed the 55LV and said), " The Germino 55LV is the end of the road in Marshall town-game over, everybody wins." and "We'll attempt to describe how the 55 so beautifully captures the essence of such a historic amp (Late '60s vintage JMP-50) and outguns the majority of vintage and boutique amps we have reviewed in these pages in the past nine years. You might want to place your order now." and "In all respects, Germino's work impresses us as 'better than vintage' in terms of value, build quality, versatility and tone. Having come this far, we all deserve a Germino"

8. rockindog

rockindog Member

Why did it take so long to get the news out? I've had a Club 40 for 3 years and came to that conclusion back in 2005.

9. dewman

I've been saying it for years too...Once you understand these amps and know how to control any volume issues, they are fantastic. A lot of amazing tones inside...

10. frisco

frisco Supporting Member

Thats why I jumped on a Club 40 after last years NY amp show. I knew this was going to happen eventually. Congrats Greg! Love my amp.

11. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

Greg is a great guy and builder. Congrats Greg!

12. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

The LV55 is a very, very great amp. Greg also has amazing support and is more knowledgable about amps and speakers than anyone I've spoken to.

Do you guys have the solid-state rectifier version? Mine is just tube but was thinking of upgrading but didn't know if it was worth it.

I imagine Greg will be even busier after that report. Congrats.

13. HHB

HHB Member

congrats to a great guy!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  14. Yossi

Yossi Member

My 55LV ( it's new) has a switch inside the back of the amp that takes the amp from a tube to a solid state rectifier. That is a very versatile feature of the amp.

15. samtheman

samtheman Member

You can use solid-state rectifier plug also, but it needs to re-bias.

/sam

16. dewman

Also versatile is the way the Club 40 can be EQed (mids full up, presence full up, treble off, bass to taste) and it alters the gain structure and sends it into Lead 55LV territory. Fantastic range out of these amps...

17. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Yup, Greg and his amps are amazing. Dewman, I'll have to try that trick.

18. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

Been using the LV55 with a 4x12 vintage 30 cab. I can't stop playing Led Zep riffs. Got 2 scumback m75's to go in a 2x12 closed-back Avatar bluesbreaker cab. Should be sweet. I swear the amp gets better everyday. Instant Good Times/Bad Times and Communication Breakdown.

19. dewman

Works on a Classic 45 too- that's howya get Billy Gibbons crunch on it. PLus you turn it up to 8 and hit it with a Les Paul. Nice midrange snarl and way different gain structure...very cool for cutting through live AND adding gain.

20. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

Yeah, I often do the "crank the mids" thang, but haven't tried cranking the presence and killing the treble. I'll give it a try. I love how usable Germino's tone controls are, as opposed to a vintage Marshall which don't have much range....Tonequest touches on that point in their review.