Congratulations to The Cars

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Judge Smails, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

All of the Cars used to take the mickey out of the press
    at every chance. Elliott Easton grew up playing left handed.

Bob Pollock likes this.
  2. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I saw them in concert in 1980.

Great concert, one of the best shows I ever saw.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

Ocasek was the mastermind, tho - he wrote the tunes, produced the band, etc. Dude was a hit-making machine.

4. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Interesting...

Crowder and Floyd Eye like this.
  5. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

Panorama happens to be my favorite Cars record.
    Totally under appreciated and under rated! That record is an emotional roller coaster of a broken hearted lyricist. Just genius!

6. cram

cram Member

this band was a pleasant re-discovery for me. I played with someone a while back who started playing bye bye love. It sounded great immediately when we played it, so I started really learning the tune at home. That 1 album alone is solid from start to finish. I love all the tunes. In that one tune - bye bye love, there is swing provided by Orr's bass that's amazing.
    In passive listening, I'd never picked up on that part of this tune.

7. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

nomINated, but not in. (Yet)

A-Bone likes this.
  8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Yep. He said if he wanted the song to be sung well ( pretty) he had Ben sing it. Sometimes they would both sing it and pick who sounded better. Ocasek is very much a " Not wanting to be in the limelight" kinda genius. He also produced albums for other bands. Can't remember now but I think maybe Black Flag.

Judge Smails likes this.
  9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

Yeah, the interviewer figures out he's pulling her leg and they laugh and he tells her the real story. Right handed guitar, upside down.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

As an aside. Interviewer. Would :)

11. cram

cram Member

That is WCOZ's own, Lisa Karlin. Blast from past!

Floyd Eye likes this.
  12. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Hopefully, in the backseat of The Cars!

Floyd Eye likes this.
  13. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

I saw them in concert a few years later and it was probably the worst show I ever saw. They totally phoned it in and were upstaged by the opener, Wang Chung.

You're probably thinking of Bad Brains. He also produced Weezer.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  14. loudboy

loudboy Member

Orr's phrasing and delivery is very close to Ocasek's - he just had a better voice.

There's some controversy about a lot of The Cars' actual process, depending on who you listen to. Ric says that it came right down to telling the others what to play, and the other members don't remember it that way. Who knows?

Production credits:

During his time with the Cars, Ocasek developed a reputation as a successful producer, and took this role for many up-and-coming bands of differing genres including Bad Brains' Rock for Light and Guided by Voices' Do the Collapse. His other production credits include Weezer's Blue Album & Green Album (both multi-platinum), Suicide,[10] Romeo Void, Hole,[10] Bebe Buell,[11] No Doubt,[10] Nada Surf, Irish folk-punk band Black 47, Bad Religion, Johnny Bravo, D Generation, The Wannadies, Possum Dixon, Martin Rev, Jonathan Richman, and the 2006 album by The Pink Spiders titled Teenage Graffiti. He also produced a portion of the third Motion City Soundtrack album, Even If It Kills Me. In 2014, Ocasek produced Everything Will Be Alright in the End, the ninth studio album by Weezer and his third collaboration with the band, and For All My Sisters, the sixth album by The Cribs.

Washburnmemphis and Floyd Eye like this.
  15. RolandKorg

RolandKorg Member

I have a pretty vivid memory of being in 8th grade, and the kids in my school a grade above had just started talking about The Cars. For Christmas, i was exchanging gifts with my best friends, and we each bought music. He asked for Led Zeppelin, and i asked for The Cars, never actually having heard the music. I was given Panorama. Didn't actually like it at first. But, "Touch and Go" eventually got to me, and then I added a couple more albums (vinyl!). Then two years later, after i had moved out of state, i returned for a visit, and that same friend had gotten us tickets to see The Cars at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. My first 'real' concert. A new drivers license, his parents' Subaru, and some Mello Yello, and a summer night.

Judge Smails likes this.
  16. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Touch And Go is my favorite of all their songs. Elliot's guitar solo masterpiece. Incredible note choices/phrasing. Seriously.

17. Heinz W

Heinz W Genuine '66 Relic Gold Supporting Member

I saw them in Maryland in July of 1978, opening for Nantucket at a small venue. We were front row, right in front of Ben. Played the entire debut album and it was fantastic. They killed it that night. Nantucket was good too, but I remember really digging the Cars. I became less enamoured with them after Candy-O; that first album is still my favorite by far and the one that still gets played from time to time.

18. DSL74

DSL74 Member

Long overdue in my book.

19. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

The first 2 I dig. Nothing after that though. But the first one is just killer.

Heinz W likes this.
  20. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

First TGP member that is nominated for the hall of fame?

A-Bone and IGuitUpIGuitDown like this.