Congratulations to The Cars

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Judge Smails, Dec 7, 2017.

1. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

:dude

Judge Smails likes this.
  2. Michigan guitar

Michigan guitar Member

Well deserved, whenever they get in. First saw them around the time of their first album ('78?). My friends and I drove from the suburbs of Detroit to Toledo to see Cheap Trick at the old Toledo Sports Arena. The Cars opened and I had not heard of them at that time. But, I was a big fan by the time their set ended. Every song was catchy as hell, and I mean EVERY song! And... they looked cool as hell! I think their first LP came out shortly after that and I bought it right away. Been a fan ever since. They were just the right mix of new wave and rock.

SnidelyWhiplash and Judge Smails like this.
  3. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

:rotflmao

4. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Supporting Member

Solo and smooth. Benjamin Orr had a voice you could pour on a waffle.

5. Mighty Melvin

Mighty Melvin Member

I saw them a couple of times along the first few albums and the biggest thing was that they were just a bunch of guys in a band. No show biz, no stars, they were just guys in a band.

6. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

yeesh, i guess he wasn't a songwriter in the cars? that was terrible.

(yeah, delicious maple syrup voice though)

7. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

Terrible? Disagree..

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    freedom's door likes this.
  8. Don Vito

Don Vito Member

Ben Orr was the poster child for a rock star. Good looks and swag. He was a much better singer than Ric and it was too bad the moved away from him on the later albums.

His solo record was pretty good and some of the unreleased material you can hear on YouTube is very good. Hopefully someone can put it all together and release it some day.

SnidelyWhiplash likes this.
  9. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

Didn’t Ben write “Drive?”

I’ll never forget the first time I heard. Up late with band mates, smoking weed, eating pizza, making mix tapes. Between each tune for the tape, we’d switch it over to FM and the local “Real Rocker.” 2 AM, dim light, high as hell, when I switch over to the tuner and they’re playing the first notes of “Good Times Roll.” Absolutely electrifying... it felt like none of us took a breath until the end. We’d never heard anything like it. They couldn’t have named themselves better, because that sound was like polished chrome.

10. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

One of the greatest bands of all time IMO, at least on record. I recently bought the entire discography again, and was listening to it continuously for a couple of months.
    Live, I think they were very hit or miss.
    Ben is one of my favorite singers, and he was the epitome of rock star coolness.
    Elliot's solos? Masterpieces, every last one of them. I dig how his solos are all over the map stylistically, yet whatever he played was absolutely perfect for the song.

boo radley and Paleolith54 like this.
  11. boo radley

boo radley Member

I agree -- I'm always struck by how...surgical, his solos were. Just clinically precise. I like The Cars - some of the lyrics were a bit weak, IMO, but super catchy songs, with enough of a rock edge, they transcended a trite 'New Wave' characterization.

freedom's door likes this.
  12. Nobtwiddler

Nobtwiddler Member

"Ric says that it came right down to telling the others what to play, and the other members don't remember it that way. Who knows?"

Believe Ric !