• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Connecting cab to tube amp question.

RJT

Stupid question. Never thought about this so.. I'll ask.

I have a few tube amps. In particular, I have a tube head with 2- 16 ohm outs, 2- 8 ohm outs, 1- 4 ohm out. Can I connect an 8 ohm cab to one of the 8 ohm outs and a separate 16 ohm cab to one of the 16 ohm outs or will it damage the head?

V-man

You need to check with the manufacturer. By my recollection Modern Marshalls (e.g., Marshall 2203KK) will allow you to plug a cab into a 16 ohm tap AND a cab into an 8 ohm tap simultaneously.

RJT

You need to check with the manufacturer. By my recollection Modern Marshalls (e.g., Marshall 2203KK) will allow you to plug a cab into a 16 ohm tap AND a cab into an 8 ohm tap simultaneously.
Thanks for the info. I have these 2 older cabs (handbuilt by someone who left Marshall back in the early 70's) that my uncle had given me some time ago.. I never really used them.. Decided to pull them out and open them up to see what was in them.. They each have a 1x12 and 2x8 in them.. Ported cabs. In the one 1x12 is an old late 70's EV.. The other is an oddball Celestion Rola G12-80 15 Ohm speaker.. The 2x8's are OLD 60's Utah/Pyles in both cabs. One tested at 16 ohms on the multimeter and the other at 8 ohms. There is some kind of oddball wizardry going on in the cab with the 15 Ohm 12" in it that is making it a 16 Ohm cab.

Any who.. I'd like to actually use the damn things. Lol. My uncle gave me 2 of them.. He has the other 2 yet. Told me that they're mine at some point down the road when he doesn't feel like carrying them around anymore, lol.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom