Connecting Macbook Pro to projector

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Crowder, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I'm giving a presentation on Monday, and the slides are on my MBP. I haven't used a projector in a while, never with this computer. What is the state of projector connectivity these days?

Do I need to take a Thunderbolt adapter?
    Are projectors connected via USB these days? WiFi?

2. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

should be HDMI available

3. karmadave

karmadave Member

Find out beforehand what type of interface the projector has. If it's VGA, you'll need a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter. If it's DVI, you'll need a Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adaptor. If it's HDMI, the MacBook Pro with Retina Display has built-in HDMI...

4. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

unfortunately not possible

5. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

Does your MBP have a HDMI out?

Otherwise, you should have an hdmi cable, a vga cable, a mini display to VGA adaptor, and a mini display to HDMI cable in your bag. I keep all four of those things, plus an 8 foot headphone extender with my MBP at all times, just in case.

Most projectors are either VGA or HDMI at this point, although high end places may be running DVI or SDI. most business grade stuff is VGA or HDMI.

6. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I do presentations all the time all over the world. Usually in either hotels or corporate offices.

The most common connection is still VGA in my experience. Next is HDMI. The places I've been that supported HDMI also had VGA ports because everyone expected VGA. :)

The coolest place is one in California where I teach. Each room has an AppleTV, so I can just link up to those with ease.

Anyway, I just carry an Apple Lightning-VGA dongle and I've never had a problem.