Connecting Multiple MIDI Devices

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by epluribus, Dec 31, 2005.

1. epluribus

epluribus Member

Happy Holidays!

I have a CyberTwin and a Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro, both of which are MIDI-controllable devices, and my PC soundcard has a single MIDI I/O pair of jacks.

Can both devices be hooked up and controlled at the same time without a hub of some sort? I gather MIDI components can be daisy-chained something like FireWire or USB peripherals.

BTW, the CT has MIDI-In, Out, and Thru jacks, and the Behri has MIDI-In and an Out/Thru jack.

I'm interested in knowing how to physically connect them, ie, which cord goes where, and also how to assign channels so they don't react to each other's commands.

Thanks in advance, and Happy New Year to all!

--Ray

2. covert

covert Member

You should be able to run from your card to the CT midi in, and then from the thru to the V-amp's in. Set each to recieve on a specific, and different channel, and you should be good to go. As to how to make those settings, RTFM.

3. epluribus

epluribus Member

Hi Covert.

On the RTFM, since I'm a rookie at MIDI, Fender's FM made sense to me but Behri's didn't. The GUI Help file also wasn't much Help, so R'ing TFHF wasn't very informative either. Still diggin' on that one.

As for using the CT's Thru jack to go to In to the V-Amp: How does the PC get return data from the CT? The manual says the Thru jack is more or less a bypass. Or do I misunderstand the general Thru idea? (Entirely possible.)

As an alternative, using the V-Amp's Thru/Out jack as a Thru disables the Out function, and the manual says specifically that no processed data is sent back to the PC that way, BTW.

Unfortunately, both devices require a return data stream to function with the respectives GUIs.

Anyhoo, mostly curious for my own understanding of things MIDI. This Thru jack thing has me puzzled, as does the general practice of daisy chaining devices. In any event, I'll try as you suggest (once again) since I could simply have overlooked something.

Ain't new learning curves grand?

--Ray

4. covert

covert Member

Yeah, some manuals suck. Roland is/was famous for how bad their's were/are.

Okay, we weren't quite clear as to what you wanted to accomplish. The thru jack will pass anything sent to the in jack, without alteration. I was, for no particular reason, thinking only in terms of program changes and the like. I now assume that you want to be able to edit stuff in both pieces of gear.

You should still be able to go from your comp to the in on the CT, and from the thru on the CT to the Behr. What you will need to do to get both talking back to the comp is add a midi merge box, to which you will connect the outs from both units, and then connect to your comp from there.

A lot of what is done with midi isn't two way communication all the time. I can have a sequencer telling a whole bunch of modules what to do. It's much easier to daisy chain them, then to have each one run back to the sequencer. In real fact, I have a variety of units that may be sending or recieving, or both, at any given time, so I have several boxes that do routing. You shouldn't need that yet.

5. epluribus

epluribus Member

Hi Covert, 'preciate the info.

"...Okay, we weren't quite clear as to what you wanted to accomplish..."

<Snip>

Not clear? Me? :p!

"...You should still be able to go from your comp to the in on the CT, and from the thru on the CT to the Behr. What you will need to do to get both talking back to the comp is add a midi merge box, to which you will connect the outs from both units, and then connect to your comp from there..."

MIDI merge box...sorta figured that. Couldn't quite break the code on the return stream.

All this said, I gather that simply telling the various parts of the rig to change patches or settings can be done send-only with a controller like a Behr FCB1010.

However, if I'm starting to catch on here, the problem for both the Fender and Behr V-Amp GUIs is that they need the equipment to respond to having been "seen" by the PC and the software before they'll send commands. Both programs are designed to respond to commands by changing the GUI display as the peripherals change. Without feedback, the programs couldn't do that--hence, I suspect, the reason why this won't work without a MIDI-merge return path--or two sets of MIDI jacks.

"...In real fact, I have a variety of units that may be sending or recieving, or both, at any given time, so I have several boxes that do routing. You shouldn't need that yet..."

Exactly...yet. :)

Thanks again, the pic is becoming somewhat clearer. BTW, does anybody publish GUI For Dummies that explains these sorts of things? Or is a lot of it OJT?

--Ray

Oh yeah--how do you get the quotes to come out blue? I just used the Quote button here.

6. covert

covert Member

You're welcome.

That should be the case.

What probably goes on, is that the editing software you are using wants to hear from the unit what its current status is, and that it has indeed made any changes ordered.

Most of the editors I have seen sold with specific units are stripped down versions of more general editors. One of my roland boxes came with something like soundiver, but limited to that particular box. What does OJT mean?

If you're breaking up the quoted section, you need to insert begin and end quote markers. That's quote contained in box parentheses [] to begin a section, and /quote similarly contained to end a section.

7. epluribus

epluribus Member

Hi Covert.

On the Job Training. Tricks of the trade, generally poorly documented if at all, usually acquired either by working with someone or the school of hard knocks. I've spent several semesters at the latter. :)

It works it works!

Thx.

--Ray