Connecting to binding posts on speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by OrganicTimbre, Jan 29, 2012.

1. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

What method is best in terms of mechanical lifetime reliability and electrical conduction to connect wire to the speaker's binding post?

I guess there is the bare wire method and then the terminal lug method. Bananas are not an option. What do you prefer?

[​IMG]

2. Patrick620

Patrick620 Member

I prefer soldering but thats not really and option with binding posts as shown in your pic. When soldering just be careful not to drip solder onto the cone or over heat things and burn the voice coil up.

3. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

Bananas will fit into some posts, but likely not the ones pictured methinks.

4. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

Soldering is best. No vibration will ever disconnect it. It can be a bit tedious to connect and disconnect for tech work.

5. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

These look like car stereo speakers to me.

6. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Soldering is best, but you could also use pins and crimp on collars instead of bananas. Monster Cable and others make them.
    Me too...

7. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

They are 12" Eminence proaudio speakers I'm using for my 4x12. There is also an EVM12L in there. Bananas are not an option because the EVM12L binding post does not have bananas. Soldering is a bad idea because well, you basically screw up can't use the binding post again, unless you feel like soldering again. The lugs don't seem to make enough contact, so I went with just bare wire.

8. Patrick620

Patrick620 Member

I am quite sure no one was suggesting that you solder to those binding posts. Soldering is not really an option on those like I mentioned in my first response. You may be limited to what you already have. "It is what it is" sort of thing.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  9. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

+1

If a cab is sounding great when I get it, I won't bother with this, but if there's any issues at all, I will open it up. Strip the wire ends and solder them all directly the the speaker terminals.(or whatever the techy name is for them.)

I've had issues before with the slide on clips coming loose and loosing connection.

10. TimSt.L

TimSt.L Member

+1

If a cab is sounding great when I get it, I won't bother with this, but if there's any issues at all, I will open it up. Strip the wire ends and solder them all directly to the speaker terminals.(or whatever the techy name is for them.)

I've had issues before with the slide on clips coming loose and losing connection.

11. Tele Wacker

Tele Wacker Member

I'm not sure if this is what you need to do or if it is what someone means by "soldering"
    I'd simply "tin" the bare wire, stick it in the terminal and tighten it up. This should give you a good connections.

12. Patrick620

Patrick620 Member

hmm, not sure why one would need to "tin" a wire for a mechanical connection. I do tin the tips in some situations so they dont fray but have you ever tried to shove a group of tinned stranded wires through a small hole(looking at the pic)? There is no practical way to solder to a binding post. In fact it's a contradiction of terms the way I see it. No one in their right mind would even try it Now I must try it! where my lead smelter and bottle of HCl or an old car battery with some H2SO4. This is going off course. I only posted cuz it showed up in my email :rolleyes: Ya, dude tin them up and bring friends to shove all of those back in.

P.S. No offense intended:) Tomorrow is my last day of overtime.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  13. phsyconoodler

phsyconoodler Member

Quote:"hmm, not sure why one would need to "tin" a wire for a mechanical connection"

It makes the wire stiff and therefor a better connection that just shoving the bare wire into the clamps.

14. Patrick620

Patrick620 Member

Thats what she said......can you prove it with an oh meter? :sarcasm Seriously, I hear ya, man. Just havin fun with this. I really dont know what else to say at this point. Thats probably why car battery strands are tinned...or are they? (dont get technical, you know what I mean)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  15. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

So did you get that Honda Civic rockin', QinQong? ;)

16. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

Haha, I kind of forgot about this thread and I actually did end up tinning some of the wires on the end and using lugs on the others. I was visiting a lab and saw they had perfectly sized lugs for what I needed.

BTW, for those who keep insisting on the car stereo thing, these are for a 4x12 Marshall and some home made 1x12 cabs, not a car. They do sometimes go in my car though.

17. Structo

Structo Member

Yes those pin connectors are what I would suggest.

18. OrganicTimbre

OrganicTimbre Member

How exactly do those pin connectors help to connect wire to a binding post?

Those would work for spring clip terminals, not binding post.

19. TubeLuvr

TubeLuvr Member

pin connectors work with spring clip or binding post
    put the pin where you would put the bare wire
    if space is tight, there are angled pins that may work better