Connecting tone control to bridge pickup on Strat?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by rwe333, Feb 18, 2006.

1. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

OK, I realize this is a simple fix..
    I have a vintage Strat-style guitar: volume and tone controls for neck and middle, not bridge.
    Would prefer tone control works for bridge whether shared w/ middle or bridge only (i.e., tone knobs work for neck and bridge).
    Any instructions/pics?
    Sorry, I know this is a pretty dumb question...

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

Here is a diagram for the Jimmy Vaughan Strat wiring -- http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdfs/JVAUGHANSTRAT/SD0139202APg2.pdf. The middle control is a tone control for the neck and neck+middle positions. The outside control is a tone control for the bridge and bridge+middle positions. No tone control for the middle only position. The Eric Johnson is also wired this way.

3. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Thank you, Jim.

4. atomheartmother

atomheartmother Senior Member

I wouldn't do that mod. It's easier to just wire it so the middle and bridge share the middle tone pot. Look on the switch for the terminal that is connected to the middle tone pot. It's on the side opposite of the side that has the pickup leads connected. It should be the second terminal to the right. Once you find this terminal just simple jump a little 1/4" wire (or however long it needs to be) from that terminal (the one that connects to the tone pot for the middle pickup) to the empty terminal next to it (there are 4 terminals on each side of the switch, one should be empty on the pot side). It should be the one third from the right.

5. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

The way my Suhr Classics are wired is the best tone control setup I've had on a Strat but you have to use one of the "superswitch" 5 ways to do it. It makes the first tone work on all positions except the bridge by itself, and the second tone control is dedicated to the bridge alone. I usually keep the tone rolled back to 7 or 8 all the time on the bridge pickup to warm it up a bit without effecting the tone of the other 4 positions which are naturally warmer.

6. atomheartmother

Couldn't you just wire the middle pickup to the neck tone control pot and the bridge pickup to the middle tone pot? Why do you need a superswitch?

7. fjs1962

If you wire it that way the bridge tone control would effect the bridge/middle combination too. The superswitch has a separate pole for each pickup setting (not just three that get combines in the middle positions) so it allows more options.

8. atomheartmother

Oh. I see. That would be useful.

9. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

My fave strat/tone knob set-up is to have roll-off on the neck and bridge p'ups and no tone control for the middle. I never use this pickup by itself so I don't miss the fact that I can't roll the highs down - and the fact that it's not connected gives the #2 & 4 quack positions just a little more presence and edge. Warming up the neck or bridge in conjunction with the (now) slightly more present middle p'up is a nice combo. There's never only one way and all of these different methods work for some of us; fun to share ideas.

10. fjs1962

Another way of wiring a Strat's tones I've thought of trying is the way Scott Henderson has his done. First tone works on the neck and middle, second tone works on the bridge, and neither tone is connected when in the combo positions. Again, this wiring requires a superswitch.