Connecting two heads ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by knn123, Mar 3, 2008.

1. knn123

knn123 Member

How would you go about connecting a guitar to two heads, then to one speaker cab?
    Also if both heads are 8 ohms out, what ohm does the speaker cab have to be? thanks

2. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Morley A/B box will let you connect one guitar to two heads. . .A---B--- or A&B. I've got one. . .works like a champ. Great to have one amp with dirt and the other clean. . .Makes for a HUGE sound!

I think the thing that connects two amps to one speaker cab is called a radial tonebone. I don't have one and haven't tried one. You might try a search on the tonebone.

Good luck!

3. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Also do a search for the Palmer Tri-Line & e-Frog. Pricey, but this or something like it is what you need to run two heads into a single cab, and to the best of my knowledge, head and cab ohm-age has to match; two 8-ohm heads mean an 8-ohm cab.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but you cannot run two heads into a single mono cab simultaneously without blowing stuff up. You can use a simple A/B/Y switch to send a guitar signal to two amps/heads, but never use an A/B/Y switch to route the signal from amps to cab(s) unless you want to fry your gear.

4. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

What about cabs that have two jacks wired together. Can two heads just plug into each jack. This is in reference to my 2x12 avatar cab with two jacks.

5. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Again, I may be wrong, but it's my understanding the purpose for having two jacks wired together on the back of a cabinet is to connect a second cabinet by daisy-chaining to the second cab from the first. Wiring the jacks together means the output signal from a single head is present at both jacks, regardless of which jack you plug into. Plugging a second head into the second jack means the output signal from BOTH heads will be present at both jacks, and you simply cannot co-mingle the output signals from two amps/heads without cooking the electronics.

The only exception would be if you have a multi-speaker or stereo cabinet with the speakers and jacks wired independently. Say you have a 4x12 stereo cab with two jacks on the back. In this case the jacks are not wired together or connected in any way; one jack is wired to two of the speakers and the other jack to the other two speakers. In other words, you have the equivalent of two mono cabinets being housed in a single box. Now you can plug separate heads into both jacks because the output signals are not co-mingling but totally isolated from one another.

6. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Radial Engineering makes a box that allows you to do that. Just check any of the guitar mags.

7. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

Put this idea to bed until you've done lots of research.....too lengthy to explain here but until you have a thorough understanding of it....Don't!!! :BEER

8. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

This would be any one of the Radial Headbone products. Axess Electronics had the HS-2; it works real well, but was discontinued, although a new product is supposed to be in the works.

9. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I use the headbone and love it. It allows me to use my BadCat Lil'15 and my budda superdrive both through the speaker in the superdrive 1x12.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

10. knn123

knn123 Member

Jack that is correct, this is from the Avatar web site on wiring.
    There are two jacks on the back of the guitar cab. Which do I plug into? On standard mono cabs, the two jacks are tied together in parallel so you can plug into either one and the other would be used as an 'out' to go out and daisy chain to another speaker cab. On a custom stereo cab, the two jacks would be wired both as 'ins' but the majority of cabs are mono.

Thanks Jack, that clears it up for me. Each head well have its own separate cab. I like that ideal too, as I get to shopping for another cab.. Yea!!

11. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Supporting Member

The Radial Headbone is a great way to do 2 heads into one cab, but both heads have to match the rating on the cab, e.g. an 8 ohm cab requires 2 separate 8 ohm heads.

12. knn123

knn123 Member

Totally passive, and ultra-transparent with zero bleed-over when in "A" or "B" mode. This particular design uses the "X" pattern wiring for grounding out each unused signal while also providing you with the option of combining both "A" and "B". Run your guitar into two amps at the same time or A/B between them. The ultimate A/B box!!! http://www.loop-master.com/index.php I remmeber when this guy was just starting out. He has quite a selection of quality loop pedals now any way you want it. His prices are excellent too.

[​IMG]

13. knn123

knn123 Member

This is a nice one two, I'm going to order.. Like for 58 dollars or less.. Deff the way to go. Plus, give him a ideal what you want.. He well make it if he hasn't already. Not trying to push the guy, he is just a little guy making quality stuff at a good price.

Use one amp for clean (A) one for rhythm (B) and one for lead (C). Or plug three guitars into A, B, and C, run the in/out to your amp and you can switch between three guitars without having to unplug them. Or use as an A/B box with "C" for use as a line out to a tuner. Or, use your imagination. Unit operates as A or B or C and NOT any two of the three.
    [​IMG]

14. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

Just to clarify.... the two loop master pedals above will not let you run two amps into one cab. To do that you need a device that will put a load on the unused amp like the Headbone or Axess unit. Otherwise you will end up damaging your amps.

15. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Supporting Member

custom audio amp switcher will do it for 1500 bucks:eek:

16. knn123

knn123 Member

Yes thanks, I'm going with two heads into two separate cabs, each head having there own cab and using the pedal above to use the two heads together or separate.. Great I'm all set..

17. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

So now I'm curious...which heads?

18. musicman_1300

musicman_1300 Member

As some others have already stated.. you would have to buy a HS-2 or the Headbone those are the only two out right now that will keep a load on both heads. You will have to match the ohms with the cab.. so a 8 ohm cab requires two heads each at 8 ohm.

I would personally go with the HS-2.... I bought one but never got to use it because I never raised enough money for the second head I wanted (splawn) so it on ebay now (im leaving for college soon). Anyhow I can't tell you how good it is personally, but I had a friend that gig'd on tour with one an it never broke. Hope this helps.