Consensus re: modern Les Paul Standard?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jtwang, May 14, 2008.

1. jtwang

jtwang Member

Regarding Les Paul Standards from the eighties up until the present: Are there any particular years that are generally good / bad? Or are the last 25 years of Les Pauls a matter of some dogs, some good ones?

2. aeronius

aeronius Member

That's always the case. Everyone on this board will tell you to try one until you find one you like. People generally cite the Norlin era (70s) as particularly bad, but I've played several 70s Pauls that were killer. Land a Les Paul Artisan and you'll be set.

General quality seemed to pick up in the late 80s, slipped slightly in the early 2000s, and has picked up recently. That being said, what might be nitpicky QC issues to some could be a deal breaker to others. Go try some out and see what there is to see! Nothing beats the Les Paul that's right for YOU.

3. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

There are gems and clunkers in EVERY period. Play a bunch. As many as you can get your hands on.

4. jtwang

jtwang Member

Thanks for the swift replies, guys.

I've owned a '91 LP Standard since the mid-nineties and I like it a lot. It's certainly not lightweight (+9 lbs) and it's got some serious wear but it plays and sounds great. My question was mostly out of curiosity because I don't have the opportunity to try out several different LPs. Ok, I might be in the market for another one. :)

5. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

As saud all years vary but in '02 when changes were made there was a good level of QC.

6. hazmat33

hazmat33 Supporting Member

I have an '02 standard that I love. I've had some of the local "experts" play it and agree that the quality, feel, and tone are above what they expected from a newer LP.

7. tomkatzz

tomkatzz Member

8. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

Hey, I have a '91 LP Standard too! It's a really nice playing guitar and the plain top w/Cherry Sunburst finish looks great. I bought it brand new with the proceeds from my first job.

9. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Are any of these solid body or are they all swiss cheesed...?

10. hazmat33

hazmat33 Supporting Member

I know the '02's were still solid. Mine is heavy. I played an '07 a few weeks ago and I actually didn't like the lighter weight.

11. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I had a 99 LP custom that was a dog. I also had a 99 LP custom that was out of this world good. I really think it's luck of the draw. There might be a magic formula once you get a guitar that's built in the Historic shop...but rolling off the production line you'd do well to take the advice above, and play as many as you can to find a good one...and yes, you will be able to tell the difference once you get a good one in your hands. It's like the sky opens up...even for a guy like me who had only been playing for 6 months at the time. :)

12. KennethC

KennethC Member

if you can afford to fork out the extra dough for a Custom Shop model(Historic/VOS) LP, I'd say go for that, over the std production model LPS. In my experience, the custom shop models are notches above the production ones.

13. XKnight

XKnight Member

There will be no consensus. It's not possible. Look, touch, listen and decide for yourself.