Considering a Conversion Neck for my Strat, Thoughts???

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by timc, Mar 13, 2020.

1. timc

timc Silver Supporting Member

Getting older, with hands on the smaller side, and the reach is starting to hurt a bit more, so I am considering buying a Warmoth conversion neck for my 1987 62 AVRI just to ease the overall playing. Couple of questions/thoughts.

1) Guitar has a rosewood board, but due to the shorter scale introducing more of a darker sound, I am considering going to a Roasted Flame Maple to cancel some of the darker sounds. Thoughts?
    2) Is the quality of the Warmoth comparable to the OEM Fender neck that came on the AVRI?
    3) Current neck has vintage frets, what would the difference in feel be if I go to 6105 fretwork?
    4) Going from 7.25 to a 9 straight radius.
    5) Going to try their "wizard" profile, as the 62 AVRI has a very thin neck which I like.
    6) Any other suggestions?

tim

2. RLD

RLD Member

I have 5 Warmoth necks...4 roasted unfinished maple and one standard finished maple. All are Strat replacements
    All have SS frets.
    One is 7.25 radius, one is 9.5, the rest are 10-16 compound and one is a Gibson conversion.
    Personally I don't notice much difference in tone from my Warmoth to my Fender necks..I have 10 Strats and all but one is one piece maple.
    Quality from Warmoth is excellent. Shorter scale neck is a bit easier to play..strings feel more loose than full scale.
    I can't really make suggestions as neck feel is so personal...I love all the Warmoth products I've bought and I've put together 3 full guitars from their parts.

derekd and stratadp like this.
  3. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Regarding fret-size, you may need to adjust your touch a little to avoid going sharp with bigger frets.

The radius: chording may be a little more difficult, but bending will probably be cleaner, with less fretting out.

Not really sure about your other questions. Some of them are about preferences, and that's for you to decide.

4. cheezit

cheezit Member

if you put a capo at the first fret, and tune down half a step, you'll get a feel for what you'll be getting. Not exactly, because that distance is about 1.5", so it's more like a 24" scale (like I think Brian May's Red Special is?). But worth a try to see if it gives you more of what you want. I tune down to Eb on some of my strats, which is the same looser feel and a bit richer (IMO) tone.

5. stratamania

stratamania Member

This might answer some of your questions.

You might want to consider a standard thin neck profile. A wizard profile is closer to an Ibanez Jem or RG than a Fender.

Tommyd8, Average Joe, derekd and 2 others like this.
  6. Borealis

Borealis Supporting Member

I have a partscaster strat with a 25" conversion neck. Alder body, roasted maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. It's a bright a "stratty" sounding guitar.
    If you normally prefer a rosewood fretboard, I wouldn't worry too much about the effect that has on tone. Personally I think a roasted maple neck looks fabulous and would go for that either way.

All those changes you've mentioned combined might take a little time getting used to, but it may very well be worth it. Good luck!

7. timc

Thanks for the replies. My other strat, (that I've bought back twice now, and going to finally sell for good as I just don't play it due to the neck)) is a light relic 56 custom shop with a 10/56 boatneck, which has a 9.5 radius. I actually like that radius, as well as the 7.25, so i thought the 9.0 would be a nice compromise. I can go with either Rosewood or Maple on the fretboard, sometimes I actually like the feel of the maple. But, the change to 6105 frets I am not sure about, but did not know what/if any advantages would be over the vintage.

8. handtrix

handtrix Member

Great option or alternative for PRS and Gibson scale guys.

9. zerolight

zerolight Member

I find the thing that makes a guitar play easier is less about scale length and more about fret size. I find the jumbo stainless frets on my Suhr PT are as easy to play with 10s, if not easier, than the smaller frets used on my Fender CS60 strung with 9s. You might get what you want with just a re-fret.

10. timc

I was a bit concerned about that, but my 62 neck, IIRC is around 7.5 at nut, and the Standard Thin is 8.0. The 62 is kind of a flat round on the back, and looks similar to the Wizard, and from looking at both, oddly enough the wizard seemed closer to the 62....

11. Dale

Dale Member

The last Warmoth I bought was not too hot but it was several years ago. I otherwise have used 2-3 over the years. I liked them.

12. aussie_owner

aussie_owner Member

Might be worth buying a pair of inexpensive calipers and measuring your neck.

Markdude likes this.
  13. agiehler

agiehler Supporting Member

The wizard is the thinnest profile Warmoth offers. I think the standard thin is closest to your Strat at .8” for 1st fret, but as a previous poster suggested it might be worth it to get accurate measurements.

I also wouldn’t change the fretboard wood or fret size unless it’s something you know you prefer. With all the changes you’re describing it’s going to feel and sound like a completely different guitar.

If that’s what you’re going for then great, but if you just want to make it easier to play then stick as close as you can to the formula that already works for you and pray that it still doesn’t change the tone too much. Even the same ingredients can produce different results when it comes to natural materials.

14. muzishun

muzishun Member

3,4,5 are the questions you really need to research and try on other guitars.

Jumbo frets will be a huge difference in feel. The radius to 9.5(I assume not 9) won't be a big thing, but you might not like it (9.5 isn't at all flat btw).

But wizard profile is something you really need to try. I would guess that it won't do your hand any favors, but again, try for yourself since TGP is HEAVILY anti wizard. You might love it :dunno

15. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Some will disagree, but I find quite a difference in sound with the different construction methods. I’m not sure what Warmoth offers in a conversion neck these days, but my personal favorite for sound is vintage construction (single, one way rod). Next would be vintage-modern, which is a lot like regular US production Fender such as the American Professional (not vintage series). My least favorite is modern construction. Many like it, and I think for modern styles it’s probably fine, but most of them don’t sound as good to my ears as the other two types of construction. Whether it matters only you can decide, but if you go for something other than vintage construction, expect a significant difference. Of course any change will likely be different, but if I had a vintage reissue I loved, I’d want to keep it in that direction. Warmoth has a video demoing the differences.

16. jvin248

jvin248 Member

I found that skinny necks make my hand cramp up, so be cautious with that 'wizard' thing as Ibanez is known for it on their shredder monkey models.

Ignore all the worries about the wood tones. If needed you can push the tone by getting a higher/lower pot within their wide 20% spec range, or a cap swap, so $5 max risk if you know how to sling solder. I would save the rain forest and get the roasted maple though, all-maple is more stable of a neck anyway so you get benefits by being good.

17. timc

As I previously stated, ok with a maple board and 9.5. As that’s what’s on the CS 56. But considering their 9.0 option as a better compromise with my other 7.25 strat. My concern are the frets and neck profile. I’ll measure my 62 to see exactly where it is then revisit the profile. Still researching the frets.

18. Crunchtime

Crunchtime Supporting Member

I bought a used Warmoth guitar with conversion neck and did not really care for it.

It did not have the snappy attack I usually associate with strat type guitars. Of course it could have been the pickups, bridge, or body. I don't know because I never tried another neck, pickups, or bridge on that guitar to really confirm anything. I also prefer the tension of a 25.5 but, that is of course self preference.

19. stratamania

stratamania Member

It seems you may be confusing two measurements. The 7.5" of your 62 style Fender is the radius which is related to the curvature of the fingerboard.

See this page for an explanation of radius.
    https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/Radius.aspx

A Warmoth Standard thin is 0.8" in depth at the 1st fret. This is the depth from the front to the back of the neck and measures its thickness.

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/BackContours.aspx

The 0.75" thickness of the Wizard profile is an entirely different measurement than 7.5" which on the Fender refers to the radius, not the depth. They are different measurements and refer to entirely different things.

The other thing to think about is the width of the neck at the nut.

https://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/NutWidth.aspx

Hope that helps.

derekd likes this.
  20. timc

Sorry, I think my numbers were a bit confusing.
    1) When I stated 7.5, I mean't .750 for the neck profile, thickness at 1st Fret, front-back. I thought I read somewhere regarding Fender 60's neck, they were .750, but did a search and they are .810, per the diagrams. Regardless, I just measured the 62 AVRI with a nice caliper, and it's actually .805, (could be .810 with user error) so I'll definitely drop the Wizard and go with the Standard.
    2) My Radius on the 62 AVRI is 7.25 with Rosewood.
    3) Radius on the 56 CS is 9.5 with Maple.
    4) I am ok with maple or rosewood, and actually like the 9.5, as well as the 7.25, so I think I'd be fine with Warmth's straight 9.0 on a Maple.

I hope this add's clarity to my previous posts.

I'm still researching, reading, and thinking. I appreciate all the insight.

stratamania likes this.