Considering a Germino: Help Needed to Choose Some Big Iron

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cpa2guitar, Oct 26, 2014.

1. donbarzini

donbarzini Supporting Member

No problem Kirk, here is the set-up I play through….

[​IMG]

2. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

The Club 40 is an outstanding amp. I have one with Greg's Master and really love it. I lost myself in that amp for about an hour last night... beautifully thick cleans, awesome grind, its all there. The master works incredibly well... better than my Rivera Rockcrusher attenuator to be honest (which is a good attenuator). However, I will say the Club 40 didn't have as much clean headroom as I expected it to with humbuckers. At about 10-oclock on the volume its starts to slightly break up when I really dig in. Killer amp though. I can't imagine ever parting with mine!

oh, and since this thread is worthless without pics, here she is in classy 'British Racing Stripe Green' tolex.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  3. m1911

m1911 Member

If I were you.....I'd go with a Monterey....or two....
    Remember.....the Monterey...(JTM-45/100) with 4-KT-66's is around 70 Watts.
    You can set it at noon and do everything you described except for that "distortion" thing you mentioned....crank a bit more for that.

These produce a HUGE sound and you can really tell what guitar is being played.
    Many folks seem to think that Marshall over-saturated-everything-on-10-sound-doom is the ultimate.....not us....we think it sucks.

Enough clarity between notes yet very thick......
    Able to get that Dickey Betts Syrupy-Neck-Les Paul tone.....as well as a nice dry Strat tone like Jimi.

[​IMG]

4. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

I'd go Club40. Then you could halve the wattage if needed by substituting 6V6s for the stock EL34 configuration.

5. 71strat

71strat Member

Germino makes some of the best Marshall clones around and you cant go wrong with 1.

But Id go for the Metropoulos GMP45/100 with the Tone Stack Mod and Master Volume.

My Dream Amp.