Considering a new R6...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by No Code 5, Jul 6, 2005.

1. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

Well,

I returned the 335 due to the neck profile... much more slim than I remembered...

anyways, I am thinking an R6 will be a good fit.

I haven't been able to play an R6, but I have played several R7s and really like the feel of the neck carve and the custom shop build quality.

I am leaning R6 because I have always been a P-90 fan (Townshend SG was an old favorite), and feel they fit my rhythm first style a bit better. It is more of a comfort thing.

I have also considered an ES-137 Custom... this has a rounded neck carve (unlike the slim taper 335) and '57 classics. As well as the '54 Oxblood.

Any thoughts, experience, suggestions are appreciated.

thanks.

amp will be a Fender Bassman LTD or Super most likely.

2. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I owned an R7 and really liked it, but if I get another historic, I want the R6. I love P-90s too.

3. mainsale

mainsale Member

I've got an R6, an R4 and an R4 Custom. I prefer the R4 because of it's tone. I attribute the bridge as the difference. All are excellent guitars so you are on a win/win track.

4. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

I also liked the R4... I have a good price on an R6 though. I think I will take the plunge.

If I like it, I can get an R4... or if I want a different flavor try the R4.

I think I might have a new guitar by next week. :dude

5. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I have an r9 which I am selling as I just realized I am not a "gibson guy" when I was checking them out I played an r6. Cool guitar, nice rootsy vibe.

6. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

I have a 2002 R6, which is a remarkable guitar.

I just love the way it sounds, plays and feels.

After owning tons of guitars with thin necks, the R6 was my first with a fat neck. My R6 neck does not feel as big as some other R6, R7 or R8 necks I have played.

I recently picked up a new R8 and the neck profile is very comfortable to me now.

Good luck in your R6 search. An R6 Goldtop is one of the best guitars from the Historic Collection, IMHO.

7. CAFeathers

CAFeathers Member

I have a Left-Handed R6 on order. Looks like it will be a great guitar.

8. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

The FedEx Man Cometh!

The guitar should be here today.

Great customer service and a great price. If anyone is thinking about a CS Gibson, let me know. I worked with the Music 123 Custom Shop and they were great to deal with...

The price was about 15% below the MAP price and they gave very thorough reviews of their stock with pictures, weights, comparisons, etc.

Review to follow in a few days...

9. Marty Horne

Marty Horne Guest

Congrats on your new axe. Goldtops with P-90s are awesome sounding guitars (I've owned 2). Like you I prefer the rounder, fatter necks. Every thin shaped neck guitar I've owned I wound up selling cause I couldn't get comfortable on it. You're gonna love your new axe.

10. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

The R6 is one of Gibson's best offerings.

Beware! The taper on the post El Suckos!

But the good news is that RS sells a great upgrade kit that really opens the instrument up and makes the V&T pots a whole bunch more versatile.

Other than that....a good set up may be in order.

Great guitars! So much vibe! Best of luck!

11. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I have an R4 Black Beauty. Sweet guitar..with the alnico neck pup and the bridge p90.
    Great neck and look.
    I've played an R6, and dig those too.
    S.
    j

12. No Code 5

No Code 5 Member

I have heard about some options...

I will give the guitar a good run through, then likely look into a new nut, Grovers, and an RS kit... they seem to yield good results for people.