Considering a Reverend Pete Anderson PA1

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jklotz, Feb 15, 2012.

1. jklotz

jklotz Member

I've gotten myself involved in a project recently where I need an old school (semi) hollow body with a bigsby. After countless hours researching, the reviews seem pretty good with the Reverend Pete Anderson. Seems like most of the talk about these things are from a few years ago. Anybody got one of these? Any reason I should not buy one?

My 3 complaints are the satin finish, made in Korea and the price, but given everything else these seem to have going for them, I suppose I can overlook those. I looked at the Gretsch offerings, and the only ones that I liked were much more expensive.

Thoughts?

2. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

Play one. If you like it, you'll know in a second.
    Make sure you run that BCC knob through it's paces.

It's fully hollow with large bracing inside.

Great guitars. Get Korea out of your head...Reverend skimps on nothing with their Imports, hence a higher price than many, but well worth it.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  3. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Member

Your links aren't resolving for me. What are you referring to?

4. adamagain

adamagain Silver Supporting Member

Bump for the same curiosity

5. Calloway

Calloway Member

My buddy Nick has one and I messed with it the last time I was in Georgia. They are very cool guitars, the necks aren't too big on them, but comfortable. The P-90's sound great, nothing on the guitar made me feel compelled to change it, and Nick agrees. We are both tinkerers so leaving it stock should say something lol. I was pretty close to offering him my beloved les paul in a trade. I have since sold the Les Paul and really wished I had traded him.

As for the satin finish, I actually really like it, it makes the chrome on it pop much more. It doesn't feel the slightest bit cheap for being an import. It is a bummer that they no longer make american guitars, but it is what it is. Killer guitar and I would own one over what Gibson is charging for a lot of their semi hollows.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  6. pshahm

pshahm Member

It's a great guitar. I swapped my p90's for tv jones classics once but liked the stock pickups better. Later I dropped in lollars and it's pretty good too,

7. youngbill

youngbill Member

I haven't tried one (being left handed), but I've bought other Reverends - Buckshot (T style) & Jetstream 290 (2 p90s). You need not be concerned about their country of origin. Quality control is very good in my experience.

They are sensational straight out of the box. If my budget allowed I'd own at least one more.

8. dancehall

dancehall Member

Totally agreed. Love to try one of those Pete Andersons.

9. jklotz

jklotz Member

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered one yesterday. I managed to talk them down in price a little. Should be here early next week. First guitar I've bought online, without playing first. It's a bit of a leap of faith for me, so we shall see.

I'll report back when it shows up.

10. pshahm

pshahm Member

It'll play great right out of the box.

11. yerbluesrob

yerbluesrob Supporting Member

I've got a Buckshot and a Flatroc and the Pete Anderson is the next on my list. I was skeptical about them being made in Korea (I've bought some doozies that were made in Korea that looked great but the sound, feel, and quality were sub-par), but from the second I picked them up I knew these weren't in the same class as those cheap imports. I honestly don't ever see myself buying something other than a Reverend from here on out, that's how good they are.

12. Carabinerx

Carabinerx Member

reviving this thread, what did you guys think of them now that youve had them? Did you hang on to them? Ive got a line on one to trade an american special strat and a '76 vibro champ for one (plus some cash on his end)....but I love my VC to death, is it worth this guitar?? The reviews and vieos are pretty convincing, but id like to hear from folks not selling them

13. jklotz

jklotz Member

I still have mine. It's a great guitar. My project has moved in a different direction (country/americana), so I haven't been playing it much recently, but I see no need to sell it.

Since I got mine, they released one with filtertron style pickups. I'd be tempted to give one of those a listen if the opportunity arose.

mikebat likes this.
  14. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I think the green ones are dead sexy.

thebard42 likes this.
  15. bentonfalls

bentonfalls Member

I've had a Charger HB for a few years and dig it. It's a well crafted guitar and forgot it was made in Korea until I read this. I gassed for a bit for a charger 290 and or a PA, so, uh, thank you for this thread.
    This dude does a great demo on the PA:
    http://youtu.be/NNu3WuX9EZU
    His demos on the charger 290 may have you gassing for that guitar as well.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  16. MartinC

MartinC Member

Another 4 years on, how is the PA1 going?

I'm thinking I need a hollow or semi-hollow and I'm wondering about a PA1 ... other potential options being Ibanez's AS93FM or Eric Krasno signature (the Chinese built version)

17. zeoy

zeoy Member

I have the 2HB model since Dec 2017. I'm loving it and it's the only guitar I left 100% stock.
    [​IMG]

johnh and Stratofuzz like this.
  18. jklotz

jklotz Member

I still have mine. Of the options you mentioned, the pa1 would be at the top of that list by a mile.

19. MartinC

MartinC Member

I'd be very interested in why you would have the PA-1 streets ahead. The nearest Reverend dealer to me is 200 miles away, and they are only listing PA-1s as special order. So I have no chance of trying one before buying. The Ibanez options I could at least try ... local shop stocks the AS93 regularly, though they didn't have one in last weekend, and the Eric Krasno model they would stock on the basis of a refundable deposit. Also, my dad has a Chinese semi-hollow Ibanez that plays beautifully and is one of the most resonant, alive guitars I have ever played.

To be clear, I'm not doubting you or discounting your opinion ... just very interested in why you feel that way about the Reverend. I'm also a P90 fan and the Reverend comes pre-loaded.

Thanks

Martin

20. mikebat

mikebat Member

I am obsessed with a black PA-1. The reason, I bought a Club King 290 when a certain dealer was losing the line and was liquidating. I bought it on a whim, and it has become my #1 over guitars I have paid twice as much or more. Coming from a Fender, I was instantly at home on that neck, it was just plug in and go. I have a good selection of guitars, single coils, Tele, Strat, HB's Les Paul, HH Strat type, HH Tele type, and the P90 semi hollow, a full hollow with P90's and that magic BCC control could be a great addition

[​IMG]