Considering a treble booster for leads - Good options?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Deville2Rocket, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Hi everyone.

I've got an OCD and a CMATMODs Brownie (BSIAB 2) as overdrives. I love the tone of these pedals for rhythm parts, and have no doubt that these would also excel for lead tones. But I'm finding it difficult to cut through the mix as well as I'd like.

I'm considering a treble booster, but was wondering if just placing a BBE Boosta Grande in front of, or after them, would be sufficient.

Thoughts? If a treble booster sounds like a good option, please give me your suggestions.
    Thanks,
    D2R

2. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

I'm looking at the same thing, leaning towards the Keeley Java boost personally. Its a classic old-school treble booster. definitely worth checking out.

3. hipfan

hipfan Member

What guitar and amp? That info will help get you some more useful responses.

4. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

G&L Legacy (strat) with a Duncan JB Jr. at the bridge, and a Tele.

Ampeg Reverberocket 2x12 (basically a better sounding Blues Deville).

5. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I like my Java Boost as well. It's really versatile with the 3-way boost switch and the tone knob. I can tailor the tone to every amp I own.

6. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I like the Analogman Beano Boost mostly because you have the options of mid and low boost if you desire. Java Boost is also a good choice. Don't know much about them except they're made by Robert Keeley so I'd expect it's great!

7. musicman13

musicman13 Supporting Member

Any of the Treble Boosters from Diceworks are great. I really like the Dice Works Dice-O-Matic. Great with single Pup's, or Hums. Check his stuff out on Ebay.

8. erksin

erksin Member

It's pretty hard to screw up a treble booster from a build standpoint, so I guess you need to decide if options are important to you. If they are, the Java is pretty hard to beat. If they aren't there's no reason to spend more than $100-$125 on one IMO.

I have a Scott's Crispy Cream and it kicks ass.

9. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

That would kick ass! Is the "Scott" part of the logo very visible? My name is Scott, so.... yeah! :dude

10. erksin

erksin Member

It is, but they've been out of production for quite a few years now.

If I was looking for one - I'd get a Beano.

11. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

You're going to come down to Keeley Java, Analogman Beano, and D*A*M, any of which would be a good choice. The DAM is a good bit more expensive and quite hard to get (he just did a run, and his lists are full for the next year at least by the looks of things). it is awesome though :)
    Doesn't Throbak also do a rangemaster clone?

12. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Thanks. This is what was getting at with this thread. I can be a bit long winded, but yeah... a list of good treble boosters.

Thanks u guys

13. faizz

faizz Member

I recently bought a TrebleTool by Paul Lenders and it's a damn serious piece of gear.

doei! ®
    Faizz

14. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

whoa. damn serious is right. would love to hit that stomp switch, but i think i'd go cornish if i was gonna spend that much on a TB ;)

15. faizz

faizz Member

Well, owning a few Cornish pedals and being a huge fan of Pete's work myself, the TB83 was in the wanted list as well, but at the end i decided to go with the TrebleTool as it has more sonic options: still, Paul Lenders is one of the finest european builders (check it out his rig archive), build quality is top notch, the pedal features RFI suppression, impedance matching circuit, heavy duty switch, etc etc.

Just my opinion btw, i don't endorse anything! Quality-wise you can't go wrong either way!

doei! ®
    Faizz

16. spence

spence Member

17. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Thanks Spence. I'll consider it.

Are treble boosters good for country style clean solos?

I put my BBE boosta grande in front of my 2 OD's, and I'm liking the sound of it so far. When I want dirty, I hit the OD's, when I want a lead tone, I can either cascade one OD into another, or goose one of them with the Boosta Grande. Sometimes it can get a little too gainy that way, though.

Where in the chain do you guys put your treble boosters?

18. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

+1 on the Beano Boost.

19. charmboy

charmboy Member

Big +1 on Beano Boost...

BYOC tribooster might be worth checking out too... I plan to build one myself soon.