Considering a tweed Deluxe

sean32767

Gold Supporting Member
I am seriously considering purchasing this tweed Deluxe from a local shop. I have more experience with blackface Fenders and this would be my first foray into tweed territory. Given the cost involved I was wanting a few other sets of eyes on the internals to see if there are any red flags here.

The serial number puts it around 1960 (D09xxxx). I've just attached internal shots only. Cabinet itself is in decent-ish condition with a replaced handle, but nothing out of the ordinary otherwise. I am mainly just wondering if anyone has any concerns with the internals.

Thanks!

IMG_7318.jpg IMG_7317.jpg IMG_7323.jpg

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
Had basic maintenance, filter caps, yellow Astrons are gone (sad necessity these days, they just about all leak DC now).

Output transformer is changed. It's from a '63 Virolux or Pro. Not correct for the amp, wrong size and primary impedance.

sean32767

Gold Supporting Member
Had basic maintenance, filter caps, yellow Astrons are gone (sad necessity these days, they just about all leak DC now).

Output transformer is changed. It's from a '63 Virolux or Pro. Not correct for the amp, wrong size and primary impedance.
Nice spot on that, thanks. Glad I posted it here. The price is a bit lower than what I have been seeing them listed for but not enough to make me want to get involved knowing that.

Brion

Silver Supporting Member
With the OT being changed I would just buy a different vintage one or a more recent handwired clone unless they are asking for the same kind of money as a clone would cost. I built my own and am happy with it. I know this is the Vintage section and vintage is cool, but at some point with enough changed parts how vintage is it really? For me the transformers have to be original to the amp for me to consider buying it.

sean32767

Gold Supporting Member
With the OT being changed I would just buy a different vintage one or a more recent handwired clone unless they are asking for the same kind of money as a clone would cost. I built my own and am happy with it. I know this is the Vintage section and vintage is cool, but at some point with enough changed parts how vintage is it really? For me the transformers have to be original to the amp for me to consider buying it.
Totally agree. I was actually considering a Victoria 20112 when this popped up locally on a consignment with a decent price. But given the incorrect OT, I am going to stay away.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Holy cow, the Ginginheimer is ghosting at 5000! Could be 15-18 melofortz. Yeah, looks like a new transformer. Did you get a chance to listen to it? You still should for the, "ear" experience. And if it has, the sound and if you know the sound, negotiate a price if it is awesome. You could spend the coin for an original and a tranny could toast. The original probably should have been rebuilt for originality. I have a good idea of what a 5e3 sounds like in my head. And it should have an almost 3d effect.

paulg

It’s like buying a Gibson with the PAFs missing. Not so good, unless the price is right. Plenty of good replacement transformers out there.

straightblues

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, only buy that if it is really cheap and it actually sounds good. If it was both, I would buy it. I actually own a bunch of vintage stuff that has been heavily modified. Most of them sound great.

sean32767

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, only buy that if it is really cheap and it actually sounds good. If it was both, I would buy it. I actually own a bunch of vintage stuff that has been heavily modified. Most of them sound great.
Judging by current Reverb sales, it's a decent price if it was all-original, having a slightly more beat up cabinet. Given the changed out OT, I think it's probably overpriced. I didn't have a chance to play it but given how it's priced currently, I doubt there would be a lot of room on it.

AlbertaGriff

Yeah no original caps and a replaced OT. Unless it was a screaming deal I'd stay away.

I'm more particular to that stuff than any external issues. I have a '57 Tremolux. Only the chassis and guts are original, the cab and speaker was a replacement. But the yellow Astrons and the transformers are all original so I picked it up - sounds great in the replacement cab and the price was good.

OVG

Gold Supporting Member
Always a bummer when that happens. The first thing I noticed was the metal enclosure around the OT bobbin. You'll never see that on a tweed Deluxe. They didn't even start using date stamped transformers until around 1960.

Maybe consider a brown 6G3 Deluxe? It's not the same amp but you will probably enjoy the overdriven tone and playing experience just as much for a fraction of the price.

Laurent Brondel

Silver Supporting Member
I have a late '50s Gibson GA-6, while not exactly the same as a 5E3, it is almost similar.
Mine came with a broken baffle, so I had to make a new one, but with a Celestion Blue that thing is just spectacular, less woofy than a 5E3 can be -signal caps values are smaller-, and maybe a bit warmer, but what a sound dimed, solid and tight.
They can be found at very reasonable prices, and IMHO they're a hidden gem, probably not for long.

Spider-Man

Silver Supporting Member
Maybe consider a brown 6G3 Deluxe? It's not the same amp but you will probably enjoy the overdriven tone and playing experience just as much for a fraction of the price.

Those have gone up quite a bit over the last year or two - you are now looking at about $5k or more for a clean 6G3.

Reactions: OVG

Chris Scott

My opinion is get the price adjusted to reflect that the amp is lacking what's essentially it's heart, then get yourself a Heyboer replacement ot. These are the most "accurate" sounding ime.

I'm out of the loop with prices these days, but I'd shoot for 30-40% off what they're asking

Caps are your choice, there's good ones available that are close enough ime.

The Heyboer units are also available from Mojo Music.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom