Considering an Agile LP, but questions

ratbastid

I've lately had the GAS real hard for a gold-top LP, and I don't want to spend a ton of money. I've been hearing good things about Agile's AL series, and what they're selling right now that has my eye is an AL-3010SE, which is the low-end of the 3 series, the cheapest one with an ebony fretboard.

I think I want it with P-90s, though I've been a humbucker guy my whole life so far. They sound bad ass, and fit the retro/classic vibe of the goldtop nicely. I'm excited to try something new. The only question is if I can live with the inevitable noise. I'm thinking about replacing them with P-rails if it's too much to live with.

So question 1: Any caveats about Agile or the AL-3010SE?

Question 2: What does it take to put P-rails in a guitar that's set up for soap bar P-90s?

amstrtatnut

I have a AL 2000. Its fantastic. Even the ceramic pups are good.

My only caveat is the rounded horn shape.

I dunno about #2

bgmacaw

The main complaint about Agiles since Rondo started selling them about 12 years ago is their weight. Some examples can be on the heavy side but some are just right. Other than that, the build quality on them is usually excellent. A few bad apples have slipped through from time to time and you'll run across a few YouTube videos complaining about them. However, Rondo is quite good about accepting returns so if there is a problem they'll take care of it.

As for pickups, you can get noiseless P90's if you want. I don't think you'll need them though. The Agile P90's are pretty good.

bigben55

I had ano AL3100CFMT with humbuckers. I swapped them out for P-rails with triple shot rings. Lots of great tones.

It was heavy, at least 10lbs. Probably more. That never bothered me. Honestly, I don't have a bad thing to say about it. I'm just not a Les Paul guy.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
I used to have one of those goldtop ebony board Agiles from approximately 2008-2010. The frets and fit/finish were excellent, but it was fairly heavy. I recall being pleasantly surprised by the stock pickups, and though they had a bit of hum, it wasn't worse than a strat or tele.

Buy it from Guitar Center, they have goldtop Agiles frequently. You save a bunch of money and if anythings up with it, you hand it back to the guy in store and get a refund.

OHSOFUZZY

I was on a quest to find a decent used LP locally. Gibson.
Spent hours trying out each LP at each location.
Ended up finding something not right will all of them.
QC, hump in neck, finish flaws I couldn't justify, or just didn't jive with it.

Frustrated I went on ebay and came across a Agile AL-3100SE wine red spalted.
http://www.rondomusic.com/al3010sewineredspaltedwide.htm

After all of the frustration........the price was right and I took a chance.
It was a fraction of the cost, even with shipping.

Once it arrived I was thoroughly surprised.
It was pretty much perfect in all respects.
finish, fit, setup, tone, feel....everything.

It is heavy (compared to a strat or tele), but it doesn't bother me much.......wide strap after 3 hours is fine.
After playing heavy basses for so many years....this thing is nothing.
To me, it has THE tone I was looking for. Doesn't matter if it has the weight of an asteroid. :)

It feels more like a Gibson LP to me than a real Gibson LP.

Last edited:

Da Geezer

3010SE-P90 owner (refinned top, custom pickguard, reflector knobs)

Mine is a comfortable 8.5 lb
The stock p90s are very good, are RWRP, and so they are hum free when both pickups are activated.
Scratches the P90 LP itch for me, and is an excellent guitar.
Paid $250 shipped from the emporium.
Did the top refin myself (reranch....was originally a cherryburst, not my favorite finish)
index.php

agiehler

Another positive experience with Agile here. Bought what I believe was the 3100 about 6 years ago. Back then it was the cheapest with Ebony and MOP inlays instead of the abalone. Fit, finish and feel was great. Far greater than any Epiphone I've picked up, sans the Elitist models. Weight was hefty, but not unmanageable. Thought the humbuckers were a bit dark and muddy though.

HTSMetal

My two AL-3010se are fabulously made, and nearly flawless in every respect. Everytime I pick one of them up, it amazes me that guitars of this quality are so easy on the wallet. Both of mine weigh around 9 lbs., and honestly they do get rather fatiguing during long gigs (3 hrs+).

Another thing I've been pleasantly surprised about are the stock Alnico V humbuckers -- Agile makes a very nice sounding lower output PAF copy. Still have the stock pickups in both of mine after 4 years.

As for their P90's, I had a set in an Agile AD-2300 and they were also very nice sounding, well made pickups with lower output and a vintage-style braided ground wire. On my YouTube channel there's a demo of the AD-2300 if you want to hear some sound samples of the Agile P90 pickups.

ratbastid

As for their P90's, I had a set in an Agile AD-2300 and they were also very nice sounding, well made pickups with lower output and a vintage-style braided ground wire. On my YouTube channel there's a demo of the AD-2300 if you want to hear some sound samples of the Agile P90 pickups.

Thanks! I think Google had already gotten me to your review of the 3010SE.

Here's the 2300 review with stock P9s, for future finders of this thread:

Very nice. Those P90s are an interesting combination of clarity and bite. Such a different thing from the buckers I've always played.

Rumors of War

I have a gold top with p90s, AL3000 I think. You will not be disappointed. Hands down the best bang for buck out there. Rivals my '91 Standard in every way.

bricel24

Silver Supporting Member
Funny this thread came up. I have been GAS'ing for an LP gold top but can't justify spending so much as well and have been looking at Rondo website as of late. My problem is they only make the goldtop HH in the 2500 series, which has different appointments than the 3010 (http://www.rondomusic.com/alspec.html). I'm not a fan of P90s :(

Trending Topics

Top Bottom