Considering an envelope filter. Help me choose!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dattoboy1, Apr 20, 2016.

1. dattoboy1

dattoboy1 Member

Ok so here are the ones I'm considering and have no way of testing them out (nobody near me carries them)

EQD Spatial Delivery. $195 Pro's - Everything about it sounds good. Con's - Dearest.
    Mr. Black Fwonkbeta.$179.95 Pro's - Sounds good from the demos. Con's - no down switch, still quite expensive.
    DOD 440 (2014). $99 Pro's - cheapest, does up and down. Con's - no frequency knob.
    Solidgold FX Funk Lite. $175.00 Pro's - Everything about it sounds good. Can run up to 18v. Con's - Expensive.

Are there any others (similar) that I should be looking at?

Would love to hear from anyone that has experience with any of the above. My only experience with envelope filters was an old DOD FX25 so that's my reference point.

Thanks in advance.

2. rosslevans

rosslevans Member

3. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Maxon AF9 is awesome.

4. Sociophile

Sociophile "Ignore" Button Aficionado Silver Supporting Member

Robotalk 2 is my fave!

eddyrox and Steven like this.
  5. blowery

blowery Member

Source audio stingray filter. Tons of options great sounds.

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

VFE Mini Mu. One of last ones he'll make. On special, he had bunch different colors last weekend but only one left now. Killer envelope, check out Mike Hermans demo.

http://vfepedals.com/specials.html

7. dcbc

dcbc Member

I have one of the early ones and it's fantastic. For more of a MuTron vibe, the Trutron 3x is fantastic as well.

I have both, and these are two different pedals for sure. The only downside to the Trutron is size and complexity (lots of control settings). The Analogman, on the other hand, is small and fairly simple.

So, with all that said, if you want something cheaper, small, and simple, don't discount the old 80s Boss T-Wah. I only sold mine after I got the Trutron. And I considered going back for size and simplicity before the A-man MXRish pedal came out.

8. weaksauce

weaksauce Member

Also consider the 3leaf Proton v3. I have one and I enjoy it very much...mutron iii inspired I think.

hank57 likes this.
  9. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

The older, silver Q-Tron is my absolute favorite. I have tried other options but I won't take this off of my board at this point.

If you are using a humbucker equipped guitar (only!!), the Keeley Neutrino is an outstanding option as well.

10. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

It's basically a Mutron 3 :aok

IMO you want a HP/LP and if you can get it a BP switch. It lets you shift the voice a bit. Two knobbers like the MXR I imagine would get very boring.
    Also, if you're not beyond buying used I think the old Boss FT-2 Dynamic Filter was pretty good, and you can plug an expression pedal in it for a wah-like experience if you want.

11. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Another vote for the AM block logo EF based off the old vintage MXR, which I sold once I got the AM. Simple and always sounds great.

eddyrox likes this.
  12. Satorizen

Satorizen Member

Spatial delivery is real nice, straight forward. Easy to use and does exactly that with a little pop
    The stingray is rad, not much real estate is lost and considering all it does it's a great bang for buck
    Not sure but anyone know about pigtronix envelope filter?
    The talking machine by EHX is phat. Does all them sounds, more of a format tho.
    I'd go with spatial or the analogman. Haven't heard it but they make great stuff. If you want more options go with the stingray

13. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

You might like to include Mad Professor Snow White Auto Wah into your list. It has a less accentuated, more delicate tone that I like much. Pretty much unique. It will set you back a bit more pricewise ($195 new), but it worth it imho.

I also have a VFE Mini Mu. It has more pronounced, Mu-tron style sound. It's also very good. Pick one while it's still available.

14. Steven

Steven Member

I got the Xotic Robotalk 2 and its very good. Two different sides that also can be used together. Its a bit expensive and takes up more pedal board real estate but I love it.

15. stringman340

stringman340 Member

TruTron 3X = DONE. I've looked for a good good while.

Very close 2nd would be the Wonderlove.

3rd place goes to the VFE Mini Mu.

Honorable mention to the Line6 FM4. I still can't let the thing go even though it sits. It has a ton of features.

Good luck ;)

16. bobbradley

bobbradley Supporting Member

Wonderlove or analogman or tru-tron if you dare, the price has skyrocketed. :|

17. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

i have one in the mail right now. bought it through that special after doing a ton of homework. can't wait to get my hands on it.

18. Sparkfriction

Sparkfriction Member

EP-2 by Pigtronix if you like the more chewy thick envelope. it is one of the best!

the one by Analogman is also a great!

eddyrox likes this.
  19. shack

shack Member

Keeley Neutrino?

20. jeffgoobs

jeffgoobs Member