Considering getting aDr.Z Maz jr. 1x12 w/reverb

Denny

Having never played one - can someone tell me what kind of gain is on tap with out using a pedal. Thanks

jcarpenter

If you dig on low to mid gain country/blues/classic rock tones they are nice. But if you need play some hard rock stuff I would look elsewhere not enough in my opinion. Maybe with the right pedals it's possible but I think it's too much of a rabbit hole if you play covers and like to go high gain on occasion.

They are great sounding amps though.

Sean French

Silver Supporting Member
The OD you need is there. Not much more.
I would advise playing one , or any Dr. Z , before buying if possible.
We all have our own taste and preferences. I can only give my experience and opinion.
Years ago I picked up a Maz 18 rev. 112 combo.
I could not get rid of it fast enough. I found the eq curves on the controls weird. Always had strange unpleasant/harsh mids regardless of settings.
I basically found the reverb unusable. It was horrid.
Just one guys opinion. Many seem to dig them.

bigben55

I played one live a couple months ago, just strat, cord, amp. Plenty of volume, cleaned up well, decent low-mid overdrive. I just like 6V6 amps over EL84s, any day, all day. I wouldn't trade my Z28 for one.

DR.Z

Platinum Supporting Member
The OD you need is there. Not much more.
I would advise playing one , or any Dr. Z , before buying if possible.
We all have our own taste and preferences. I can only give my experience and opinion.
Years ago I picked up a Maz 18 rev. 112 combo.
I could not get rid of it fast enough. I found the eq curves on the controls weird. Always had strange unpleasant/harsh mids regardless of settings.
I basically found the reverb unusable. It was horrid.
Just one guys opinion. Many seem to dig them.

Yes Sean , I believe this the fourth time you posted about your awful experience appox. ten years ago with a used MAZ 18 that you purchased with out playing.
The correct advice you offer the OP is to try before you buy.

The MAZ 18 has a very standard tone stack , so I'm at a lost as to what may have caused the weird EQ curves to your ear, this is a complaint I have never heard in the 20 some year production of the MAZ 18. Possibly it was modified , not sure.
I do appreciate that you bought one, sorry it didn't work for you, but as I'm sure you're aware this does happen with Musical equipment.
All I can suggest is that you try a currant production new MAZ 18 , as many of it's worts have been removed, it is now a very stunning reverb combo amplifier.

DR.Z

Blues Wail

I have one that is 15 years old and is the best sounding amp that I have ever played. The reverb could be better but, that is it.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
It is a modern day classic for several reasons (long list). I’ll leave it at tone, breadth of available tones - including its own, and rugged construction.

I love my NR. If I were buying a reverb unit used I would budget for sending it into the Dr. for modification to the current version. Without personally trying it, the new reverb sounds like a big improvement on paper. If you’re not doing this I would buy a NR and put a buffer and the Flint in the loop.

I would reconsider pedals too. It loves them.

mr zurkon

The Maz 18 has plenty of gain for all kinds of rock, depending on the guitar's pickups of course. I generally like a little more edge, so I run a "high gain" 12AX7 in the V1 slot. From Tube Depot, you can choose the "high gain" option: https://tubedepot.com/products/jj-ecc83s-12ax7-preamp-vacuum-tube

I have also cleaned it up for a 60s style soul/R&B project with a lower gain tube in V1 (like a 12AT7 or 12AY7, see: http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Guitar-Amp-Info/Gain-Factor)

I have a 2001 (L serial number) Maz 18 reverb 1x12, bought used around 2002, and it's been my main amp since. I've used it for a lot of different types of gigs. It's very versatile.

sdE4Irh.jpg

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
IMHO, there is nothing a Maz 18 can do that a Mesa Lone Star Special cannot do and there's a lot that the Mesa can do that the Maz cannot.

Owned both the Mesa (still own) and a Maz 38 (sold) and a good friend had the 18 which I played quite a bit.

It would be nice if you could try them both.

I would always buy the 38 over the 18.

communarchy

Silver Supporting Member
looks like I better try one.

I would suggest trying to find one that is to date with current specs and the variable boost footswitch, as Dr. Z recommended above. This amp has had many revisions over the years, and with the modifications post ~2015 (serial numbers Z, AA, BB, CC) you will find the MAZ 18 to be the most versatile it has ever been, from clean to hard rock sounds and everything in between.

Sean French

Silver Supporting Member
Yes Sean , I believe this the fourth time you posted about your awful experience appox. ten years ago with a used MAZ 18 that you purchased with out playing.
The correct advice you offer the OP is to try before you buy.

The MAZ 18 has a very standard tone stack , so I'm at a lost as to what may have caused the weird EQ curves to your ear, this is a complaint I have never heard in the 20 some year production of the MAZ 18. Possibly it was modified , not sure.
I do appreciate that you bought one, sorry it didn't work for you, but as I'm sure you're aware this does happen with Musical equipment.
All I can suggest is that you try a currant production new MAZ 18 , as many of it's worts have been removed, it is now a very stunning reverb combo amplifier.

DR.Z

Hi Z.
You have a good memory. I did buy one used in '08. I have posted about my opinion of it in only 3 threads though. Never started my own review thread back then.:D
After re-reading my previous post , I wasn't very clear. I blame the Bourbon. ;)
What I meant about the EQ curve was that I was not able to dial out the high mid harshness I was hearing.
That's all.
Amp was stock I was told. I did some pre amp tube rolling without success.
I didn't find the reverb usable. In my previous post I stated it was horrid.
Not the amp. The reverb.
Cool to know the reverb is different now.
Next time I see one I'll certainly give it a go.
Cheers. :beer

Fishyfishfish

I use mine primarily in cover bands since I bought it.
Mine is a NR 1x12 combo with a green back and with the right pedal it can do just about anything except for maybe Death Metal. Think of it as a mini plexi with vox chime that you can stand in front of without loosing your hearing.
Good luck!

Z Boogieman

Anyone who complains about a used Dr. Z Maz amp not sounding right either has no clue on how to work those simple controls, or it needs power tubes. A little reading and research would cure that.

Most of all, the amp is used, and likely in need of new power tubes. Just because it seems loud, doesn’t mean the tubes are up to snuff. EL84 tubes don’t last forever. If you play the amp a lot, the best part of the tone the tube generates could be gone in 3 to 6 months. Good quality tubes last longer, perhaps a year. I have seen the difference new tubes can make. I suggest to keep a spare set on hand in case your ears are telling you something.

Sean French

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone who complains about a used Dr. Z Maz amp not sounding right either has no clue on how to work those simple controls, or it needs power tubes. A little reading and research would cure that.

Most of all, the amp is used, and likely in need of new power tubes. Just because it seems loud, doesn’t mean the tubes are up to snuff. EL84 tubes don’t last forever. If you play the amp a lot, the best part of the tone the tube generates could be gone in 3 to 6 months. Good quality tubes last longer, perhaps a year. I have seen the difference new tubes can make. I suggest to keep a spare set on hand in case your ears are telling you something.

:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao
Yeah , that's it. I haven't a clue how to work simple controls or know a thing about tubes.
Hey , thanks for playing. :p

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
Yep, they are nice amps. I don't see how you can go wrong. No EQ issues that I can hear.

Top Bottom