Considering giving less than 5 stars on Reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hawkmoon269, Jul 11, 2019 at 6:18 PM.

1. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Member

So help me with this...

I bought a used Boss CE-3 on Reverb in late June. First thing is that the guy messages me right away and says that he can’t mail the pedal until after the 4th of July since he’s out of town. So it takes him 2 weeks to even put the pedal in the mail. Which kind of ticks me off because there are dozens of CE-3s for sale at any one given time with sellers who can presumably ship right away.

Next the pedal comes and it’s clearly been modified. The LED is blue FFS. Nothing in the description mentioned any mods and the picture he used blocked the LED. I open it up and the R1 and D1 components have been removed to change the power from ACA to PSA. OK, I wish I’d have known that before running it at 12 volts. Also one of the capacitors has been replaced.

The description on Reverb didn’t claim that the pedal was stock, but I feel like the blue LED should have been an indication to the seller. It’s only a $60 pedal. I could return it but I lose shipping both ways. And I like the tone of the pedal (although it seems rather noisy, is that common with CE-3’s?).

So my thinking now is to keep the pedal and give a lowly 4 star feedback. I’ve never given less than 5 stars on Reverb. Is this too harsh? Should I relax about this? Is a 4 star feedback a death sentence for a seller?

ChampReverb likes this.
  2. mikekim

mikekim Supporting Member

It's not as described, so yeah... I'd give a lower rating... or message the seller first expressing your concerns... you'll probably find they'll give you a refund rather than get negative feedback..

3. Select12

Select12 Member

I would give a 1 star. Item not as described and wait to ship? It's not hard to be honest about a listing.

4. ToneIsKing55

ToneIsKing55 Supporting Member

Personally I think the whole rating system is a joke on reverb. When everybody is a five star then nobody is a five star. If there is a bad transaction where Reverb is involved they eliminate the ability to give feedback or remove it afterwards. I think 5 star status should be reserved for sellers that go above and beyond.

With that being said I play the game and have always given 5 stars even though there are times I felt it should have been lower

5. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

1 star.
    Slow shipping and product description was inaccurate and misleading.

I've never given less than five stars. I assume most people are the same way.
    That's only because I've never had a bad transaction. if I had a transaction like yours I would definitely give them less than 5.

InAbsentia, ifallalot and meowtorhead like this.
  6. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

I'd probably give it 2-3 stars. Not as described, took weeks to ship out rather than put their account on vacation (I believe you can do that on Reverb, unless they changed it or I am mistaken)...

MLaVache, spiral and monty like this.
  7. misa

misa Supporting Member

I'd think you can get the seller to eat the cost and pay for the return shipping based on the pedal not being as described. If you feel agitated by it, request the refund and get Reverb involved. If the seller is easy to work with on a return, take that into account. Otherwise, negative feedback helps the rest of us know to look closely.

Bonus of returning the pedal for a refund: not having a pedal in your stash that conjures up bad feelings.

8. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

I think 1 star is a bit harsh. He got a pedal, and it does work.

That said, the options are to keep it and give low feedback (I’d probably go with 3 stars) or return it. Trouble is, in the eyes of Reverb, the sale never happened if there’s a return; you can’t leave feedback.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 9:43 PM
    MLaVache, lefort_1 and monty like this.
  9. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Member

I could get a refund, but then I’m out $20 for shipping both ways. Doesn’t seem worth it for a $60 pedal. Also it wasn’t technically “not as described” since the description wasn’t very verbose.

10. Hawkmoon269

Hawkmoon269 Member

Yeah, this is pretty much where I’m at. But I do kinda dig the pedal. If I returned it I’d have to go buy another CE-3 and if it didn’t sound as good I’d be kicking myself for letting my ego drive my decision making yet again.

:bonk

11. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Buyer beware. As for the transaction, I would deduct two stars for the lack of proper description and shipping. I would also communicate that to the seller.

12. Joshua Bernstein

Joshua Bernstein Supporting Member

I don't think you'd have to eat the shipping cost here. I would send reverb a message, and explain that the pedals has been obviously modified and is not as described. I'm positive they'll take your side on this.

Lt Dak, lendryesky, triviani and 2 others like this.
  13. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Then keep the damn thing, give him 5 stars, and move on!

Jabberwocky, Hawkmoon269 and 4b454e like this.
  14. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

if it's modified or repaired and the seller didn't disclose - then it's not as described. These have to be disclosed. I'd contact the seller - maybe they didn't know and they'll try to make it right.

If you don't fix it now you'll have to disclose the mods/repairs if you sell it.

Jabberwocky and coltonius like this.
  15. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

OK...thinking rationally here...
    If the dude WAS out of town when you bought it, and it had been up for awhile...
    I can't hold anyone too responsible for taking a vacation on the 4th.
    He had no way of knowing someone was going to buy his pedal when he was OOT.

So, turn that around and say the situation was reversed.
    Would YOU really pull your ads down because you were on vacation?
    I probably wouldn't.

To the 2nd point, its a hard call.
    Maybe he knew, and maybe he had absolutely no f-ing clue at all.
    Lots of people are not Nearly as well-heeled as we are here on TGP about all things pedals.
    To them, its a pedal, they buy it, they plug it in, they use it, they sell it.
    They don't know jackson brown about pedals and parts and LED's.

So, my initial reaction is to nail him a few and give him a 3.
    But, when I give it 5 minutes of serious consideration, enough doubt enters my mind to probably just let it pass.
    Especially that its a $60.00 pedal.
    My take.

16. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

If you can put your account on vacation or whatever it is called, which I think you can, then the seller is responsible for putting his account on vacation while he or she is away. So, yeah.

MaxTwang likes this.
  17. blacknoizemachine

blacknoizemachine Supporting Member

I wouldn't leave lesser feedback for the delay in shipping or the condition of the item without first giving the seller a chance to offer a solution.

The shipping delay is a tough one. It's on him for not mentioning that in the listing, but it could be nothing more than an honest mistake, and as you said he messaged your right away. That doesn't sound like someone trying to get one past you. Were you agreeable to the shipping delay, or did you tell him to forget it?

In terms of the mods, if the item isn't as described then bring it to his attention.

**** happens. Give them the chance to make things right, and use that for the basis for your feedback.

18. monty

monty Member

3 stars tops. Seller should know to mention mods and the slow shipping is weak also.

19. cobrakaiusa

cobrakaiusa Member

I’ve had issues with sellers before and have always been able to work something out.

I believe in karma and treating others like I’d like to be treated.

I also know that not everyone practices this philosophy, and people do make mistakes so I try to never take it personal.

I’d suggest letting seller know your concerns and your issues.
    Then go from there.

Jabberwocky, coltonius and Simon like this.
  20. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

Give the seller a chance to make it right. If s/he doesn't, unleash honest feedback.

Abram4235 and Drak like this.