considering Marshall JVM410h ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SloeGin, Jun 12, 2019.

1. SloeGin

SloeGin Member

Hey guys,

I mainly play rock and metal, think AC/DC, Sabbath, Slash to Metallica, Children of Bodom.
    I'm considering a Marshall JVM410h cause i think this one covers most of these tones, it's an affordable amp and sounds good on low volume too apparently. (yes, i am volume restricted, i live in an apartment)

Would you recommend this amp for the tones i'm after and being volume restricted?

Thanks for the help/ suggestions!

2. chance0

chance0 Member

Bland bland bland bland bland sounding amp! Laiho only uses the Ch 3 of the amp, which is the liveliest on the amp, but you can get that tone easily elsewhere. Skip it. Go with a DSL if you want a Marshall: it has far greater punch and gnarl that you'll hear like with Slash. Or try Orange or Splawn or Bogner or Mesa Triple Crown. Anything but the JVM...

strike3 and NortheastHick like this.
  3. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

I own one and love it. It’s kind of a Swiss Army knife Marshall. It gets noisy if the first thing you do is crank the gain knobs to the max, but with gain around noon mine is dead quiet and plenty gainful. Mine is a 2007 model with no mods. It’s very good sounding at low volumes, and attenuates well if you chose to. I’ve used my Rockcrusher and Hotplates with it. I also have a TC100 That’s my main amp, but I have no plans to unload my JVM.

4. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

This is pretty much what I would say.

5. goddot

goddot Supporting Member

I recommend you try one out at a music store like guitar center ..... this is all a matter of personal taste, so there is no authoritative right and wrong despite what you read on forums.

Holzar88 likes this.
  6. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

I had one for a month when they first came out....it does do low volumes really well and covers a lot of bases. If you can afford one then try it first. I didnt like channel 4 it was too noisy and too scooped. Maybe try the satriani model too and a DSL.

7. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

One of the best sounding amps I ever owned. Capable of just about any tone you'll need.

Crunch Orange mode = Sabbath
    Crunch Red Mode = AC/DC
    OD1 Green = Slash
    OD1 Orange = Metallica
    OD2 Red = Children of Bodom

The programable footswitch is fantastic too. It was also the best 100w at bedroom volumes I ever played.

If they released a 20w version, I'd be all over it.

8. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Loads of guys hate on the JVM. The one I tested sounded killer. Compressed yes but it nailed those 80's-90's high gain tones I wanted it too. So it's not a classic Plexi. It was easy to play, full, smooth and had plenty of gain without feeding back or making a racket. For that stuff it was killer. I want a JVM410C personally as that is a lot of amp for the money second hand.

Compared to a DSL it's better made, it's got birch ply rather than MDF, better speakers etc etc

Man with Gas and BigBadOrange like this.
  9. JCantrell

JCantrell Member

You’d get better tone from a Mark V, EVH 5153, JCM800KK etc

Mike Lenning, chance0 and Baconjerky like this.
  10. Evil Z06

Evil Z06 Member

The Satch version is dead quiet with the built in noise gate

evildik, Holzar88 and BigBadOrange like this.
  11. Coopster

Coopster Member

Had the 210H for a while, it'll do lower volume fine but shines with some juice behind it. Like Axe-Man said, it's not classic Marshall, definitely it's own thing. There's some sort of cold solder joint issue with, at the very least, older models, mine would drop volume randomly but not frequently. I sold it for a Vintage Modern which released the same year. That one is a great classic style Marshall. If you're a blues rock guy check one of those out, they can be had for around $8-900.

chance0 likes this.
  12. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

If the Red Mode has more gain than the Orange Mode, why do you think the Red is better for AC/DC? Angus used less gain than Iommi.

Baconjerky likes this.
  13. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

JVM410H.. apartment.. doesn't really make sense. I mean you could, but that is one big amp to have in an apartment. I'd probably go for a smaller lunchbox amp head or a solid state. The newer Marshall Studio line or even the DSL would be more than you need and be a lot less weight and size.

BigBadOrange likes this.
  14. jlinde

jlinde Member

Dsl isnt even in the same league as the Jvm. Don't listen to these silly posts that the Dsl is better. Absolute insanity. I've owned them both and owned them at the same time. I can tell you with complete certainty that the Jvm is far superior in every way. Go for it you won't be disappointed.

15. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

I have owned a JVM and a DSL. I prefer the DSL.

Jabby92 likes this.
  16. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

I really enjoyed the Satch version

Holzar88 likes this.
  17. BigBadOrange

BigBadOrange Member

Jvm410 Bland???w...t...f.. I have covered the bands you list for decades. I quit looking for a better tone the month the JVM410h came out. It's perfect for what your looking for ...except, way overkill for an apartment. To be honest if that is all your doing I would go atomic amp or fractal modlers.

MESA/BUDDA likes this.
  18. Bentayuk

Bentayuk Supporting Member

The other way round then!

19. Steviecaster

Steviecaster Member

For that money, I would get the Peavey Invective. It has all the tones, qnd tons of bells and whistles. Amazing cleans, pushed cleans, all the way to 5150 tones.
    And yes, it does Djent.

De Batz likes this.
  20. Holzar88

Holzar88 Silver Supporting Member

They are really polarizing amps. People either tend to love them or hate them. And it's pretty evenly split. So let your ears be your guide.

FWIW, I've got a Match JVM and a 1-watt JVM head. They're both excellent.