considering Marshall JVM410h ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SloeGin, Jun 12, 2019.

1. twotone

twotone Member

I tried JVM heads on different occasions in a music shop.

First time, through a cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30s. It sounded like a Marshall. :)

Second time, through a cabinet with Celestion G12T75s. It did not sound like a Marshall. It sounded more like a Fender. :eek:

That confirmed my assumption that speakers matter. :D

Man with Gas likes this.
  2. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

I live in an apartment with a jvm210h and it does low-volume tones perfectly fine. It has an excellent master volume and you have to know how to dial in the channel volume vs the master volume levels which is a mistake that a lot of users end up making and then talk trash about the amp afterwards as a result of their ignorance.
    Laiho uses the 410 all over the new album as well as the last COB album. It's also all over all the newer Megadeth albums as Mustaine uses one too.
    The JVM destroys the fizzy, thin and harsh sounding DSL as well as the KK 800 which is very cold and sterile sounding. The beast mode on that amp is terrible IMO.

BigBadOrange likes this.
  3. Wee Jock

Wee Jock Member

Why a 100w JVM if you’re volume restricted and not a 50w?

4. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

Because 100w amps sound better at low volume than 50w amps, and the 50w version has less channels/modes.

forum_crawler likes this.
  5. Wee Jock

Wee Jock Member

You learn something everyday.

6. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Honestly this is such a subjective thing. Wattage does not guarentee that an amp will sound better lol. I've had 50W amps that sound amazing, 5W amps that sound amazing and 100W amps that sound amazing but also versions that sound like complete **** with the same respective wattage. Its not about the watts, its about the amp itself (and how you play) that makes it sound good.

7. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I've never personally had a low wattage amp that sounded truly/legitimately comparable to a high wattage amp. Small amps are great no doubt (I'm a fan) but it's not subjective in that the sound simply isn't as big or full or as nuanced or as punchy.

Steviecaster and C-4 like this.
  8. Wee Jock

Wee Jock Member

I agree this is usually true if you can turn it up. My original point is that if you’re buying an amp for an noise limited apartment, not sure 100w would be my starting point.

As a rule, an amp designed for 75dB use will sound better at 75dB than an amp designed for 110dB will (I know there are exceptions).

9. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Member

It’s a decent amp, I was surprised when I tried one. If you get it for a good price, why not. You may want some kind of attenuator if you’re going to play at low volume. Don’t skimp on the cab either, speakers are very important.

10. mikebat

mikebat Member

Lots of people don't like them, but ....it has a great feature set, is easy to use and when you don't pin the gain knob, and stay in green or orange in any channel, they sound great.

Lots of vintage tones in there, just dial down the gain. As for high gain, they sound good there too. Check out Rabbea Masaad.

The build quality...well...that is another question, but if it is working, it does a great job.

11. jlinde

jlinde Member

My Jvm100 sounded better at bedroom volumes than my Dsl40 for the record. Independent eq. Great reverb and effects loop. Programmable channel modes. Punchy classic Marshall midrange. Superb build quality. Fantastic amp for sure. Not much to hate here except the high price tag.

Man with Gas, Holzar88 and C-4 like this.
  12. kselbee

kselbee Supporting Member

JVM is a fantastic amp. LOTS of tones and great switching options. I highly recommend the 410 over the lesser models as a lot of the great Marshall tones are in that orange channel. Personally I think it blows the DSL away (yet I own a DSL and do love it). FYI, I don't believe they sell the Satriani model anymore. But as everyone has said, you really need to try it.

BigBadOrange and Man with Gas like this.
  13. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    While I totally understand why some players would prefer a low wattage amp for apartments, I still have and use my higher wattage amps and find no problem keeping the db's down at specific hours.

Everyone is different and likes different gear for their own personal reasons.

If the OP likes the JVM 410 Marshall, and feels he can handle the volume o.k., then get the amp you desire and not the ones you read about here, which other players may prefer to it.

It's not about who is right and who is wrong. No one is right and no one is wrong. It's their opinion, and if their opinions fit them, but not you, remember that you have to like the amp you are thinking of buying.

03hal and Monstercastle like this.
  14. goddot

goddot Supporting Member

At lower volumes you still need that bigger power transformer to get the proper chung chung- so its style dependent too

15. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Just your opinion. I have played amps at many wattages that have different characterisitics. Its too open ended. A recent example is the Mesa Fillmore amp.. they released a 100W version because the 50W somehow sounded thinner than the 25W version did.

16. Wee Jock

Wee Jock Member

I completely agree with this, but a post on a forum asking for opinions does tend to illicit opinions.

C-4, SweetClyde99 and goddot like this.
  17. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

No, it’s not my opinion. It’s my personal experience.

I’ve owned a shed load of gear and never ever experienced what you believe to be true.

18. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

Ok. All I'm saying is lots of amps can sound full at varying wattage levels and the amp itself is more important than the wattage. Some sound thin even at higher wattage ratings. It depends on the amp and circuit design.. the output transformers.. etc.

I have played a few 50W amps that don't sound as big as a 25W Mark amp for example:

Even Andy who is a pro was surprised to find out the amp was 25W with EL-84s. I also own a Quilter (200W solid state) that is as loud or louder than a 100W Marshall because of how the circuit is designed and how it delivers power to the speaker. This is all engineering stuff:

So bottom line is your experience is different than mine.. but ultimately to me the amp itself is more important than the wattage rating.

19. Sir Don

Sir Don Member

Just go for it man. This nonsense about 'sterile' 'bland' blah blah blah, it's crap. It's a great amp end of story. Maybe not a bedroom amp? But I've go two of them and have never had a problem with either.

They sound great. Rnfnroll

BigBadOrange and goddot like this.
  20. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

Well, informed opinions are based, in part, on nothing more than personal experience right?

Point is someone else’s personal experience can inform their completely opposite opinion...

Unless you are implying that anyone that disagrees with your opinion/experience doesn’t have personal experiences of their own.

goddot likes this.