Considering my first "real" acoustic....

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by echale3, May 21, 2008.

1. echale3

echale3 Member

I've got an old Yamaha FG75, it's basically a bargain basement guitar, about 30 years old. It needs to be re-fretted at the very least, and I'm not that keen on paying for a re-fret for a cheap guitar. It probably also needs to have the fretboard sanded, as it's got a little tiny bit of a wind in it that makes it very difficult to barre chords. It also sounds nothing like what I'd like for it to sound like.

I had the opportunity to play a rather expensive Tacoma with a Spruce top/mahogany sides and back that had a very impressive bottom end on it--powerful and piano-like. The mids were strong, and the top end clean and clear, but not shrill. I can't remember the model designation, but it's apparently one from before Fender bought them. I also play my father in laws '60s Gibson Hummingbird and another Gibson flattop (IIRC, it's an older J45).

With acoustic guitars, I play some Gospel, Old-time, and a little Bluegrass.

Tonally speaking, I like the smoothness of the Tacoma and the two Gibsons I've played sound really good to me. I like a solid but not boomy bottom end, with that smooth quality to the notes. I don't like a brassy, shrill top end on acoustics, I just want clean and clear highs and a strong midrange.

If at all possible, I'd like to keep the neck widths and scale lengths at Gibson specs, since I'm used to playing Gibson electrics and acoustics...

I really don't want to spend more than a grand, less if I can get away with it.

I'm in Roanoke, and was planning on auditioning a couple well-recommended Blueridge models (they have a new BR-60 and BR-140, as well as a used BR-160CE and Martin DM) at the Fret Mill downtown, and Kelleys over on Brambleton Ave has Guild, Taylor, and Epiphone acoustics on the wall. Before I start taking stuff off the wall and trying it out, are there any particular models I should look specifically for, to narrow down my search? Does anybody have any recommendations on other makers that have models that would fill the bill? I'm definitely a "try before you buy" type, so I'd rather not get one sight unseen... Also, I don't need any electronics at all, I just want a plain acoustic guitar...

2. jbryant3

jbryant3 Member

3. jbryant3

jbryant3 Member

4. wingtip4

wingtip4 Member

The Epiphone Advanced Jumbo Masterbilts are great, they sound better than most of their expensive Gibson counterparts. Blueridge makes a very good Martin style dreadnaught, the D-160, and Recording King makes a nice fancy Martin dreadnaught the RD?-227. The Guild GAD series also has its proponents.

5. WeaserP

WeaserP Member

I would second the Epi Masterbilts (great guitar for the cash) as well as some of the Takamine's. For a grand (or less) there are a number of nice git's out there to choose from.

6. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

"With acoustic guitars, I play some Gospel, Old-time, and a little Bluegrass.

Tonally speaking, I like the smoothness of the Tacoma and the two Gibsons I've played sound really good to me. I like a solid but not boomy bottom end, with that smooth quality to the notes. I don't like a brassy, shrill top end on acoustics, I just want clean and clear highs and a strong midrange."

Given your description, sounds like a slope shoulder dread would fit your needs nicely. Fro me, they've become the do all acoustic.

J45's can be great but you have to find a good one. I haven't had a chance to play a Masterbuilt acoustic but I have an Elitist electric and the build quality is top shelf. Unfortunately, acoustic prices have gone up a lot over the years and $4K for upper end guitars seems to be pretty accepted. Good luck with the hunt.

7. echale3

echale3 Member

Cool, thanks for the advice... Looks like I'll have some decent items locally to choose from.

8. jeffrey827

jeffrey827 Member

9. jhammons01

jhammons01 Member

^^I just went through this, Not that this would be the best choice.....but....I wound up with a Dread Seagull. Mine was 93 vintage all solid. It sounds really nice. But you can't find "used" on the shelves.

The reason I wanted to post on this topic was....I looked at a lot of Laguna's. I have a GC Credit card and I could get 15 months free of interest on any Laguna I wanted, I played all of them and I am sorry, none of them had any real lower range to speak of. They had the same sound as my old Charvel Acoustic with the laminate top.

I liked the Laguna, they were very ornate......they just didn't have the sound I was looking for.

I was trying out a used ~$600 Takamine and considering it as it came with a hard shell case....then the guys at GC steered me to the Seagull 25th anny edition. THAT guitar sounded great, but while I was in "Consideration mode" I found the current Seagull that I bought. It was ~$300 with a dual output. one for regular acoustic pup and one for the internal mounted Microphone and a Hardshell case.....

Am I bragging about my find?? yes....OK back to the topic

I just wanted to weigh in on the Laguna thing, sorry to fall off the wagon

10. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

I think any of the godin brands (seagull, Simon and Patrick ect.) would work well for you. In my opinion they have the best bang for your buck right now. I own one guitar, a Simon and Patrick pro maple and it is defanitly a keeper. Make sure you check em' out.