Considering replacing all Capacitors in 65 Deluxe

AllmanFan

Silver Supporting Member
i have read multiple times the importance in replacing the blue molded caps in vintage Fenders. I am considering making the replacement in exchange for Jupiter capacitors but I don’t want to ruin the value of the amp. At the same time, the tone is always the end goal. So the question lies in whether it’s worth it to change the caps when I have not identified any problems with the current capacitors.

zenas

The importance of replacing the blue Ajax caps in a blackface Fender ?
Sure it wasn't electrolytic caps ?

Last edited:

pdf64

i have read multiple times the importance in replacing the blue molded caps in vintage Fenders
I think you may have misunderstood, or have read bad advice; got a link to it?

So the question lies in whether it’s worth it to change the caps when I have not identified any problems with the current capacitors
The blue 'molded' caps are a 'replace only on failure' part; the exception being the death cap, which is obsolete and should be removed (and saved for sale/other use) when a grounded mains cable is fitted.

Last edited:

Pete Cage

The blue molded "Ajax" tubular caps rarely fail, in my experience. Very rarely, as in, almost never. I think I've changed maybe 3 in 40 years.

The snot-yellow Astrons, OTOH, are a much different story, especially for the larger values...

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
'A cap job' is almost exclusively about refreshing the electrolytics. If your tech is suggesting wholesale replacement of original caps in a vintage amp, get a new tech. As pete said above, they rarely go bad.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
i have read multiple times the importance in replacing the blue molded caps in vintage Fenders.

Coincidentally, are these the same sites that offer free, post-paid disposal of your blue molded caps?

Seriously, if there are sites out there urging folks to rip out the blue molded caps in old Fenders, please link them so we can stage some kind of intervention...

That's akin to somebody posting "I have read multiple times the importance of replacing those rotten old PAF pickups in vintage Gibsons."

Axis29

Everything i've read says exactly the opposite. The blue molded caps should be kept. It's the brown turd ones folks have less interest in. I think if you replaced all of the blue caps, you'd probably lower the value of your amp.

As other have said, filter caps are one thing. replacing filter caps are a standard maintenance item. Tone and coupling caps are usually only replaced when they fail.

JJman

I removed all the Brown couplers in my '71 since the internet said I should. I kept them and years later tested them. They are all in spec and do not leak dc. I'll test them for ESR when I get such a meter one day. I'll put them back in when the internet tells me they are cool since they have than "brown" tone. :D

HotBluePlates

i have read multiple times the importance in replacing the blue molded caps in vintage Fenders. I am considering making the replacement in exchange for Jupiter capacitors but I don’t want to ruin the value of the amp. ...

I bought a '64 DR not terribly long ago. I made sure to check first that it still had all the blue Ajax caps in it. If your 65 was offered for sale & had all Jupiter caps in place of the blue molded Ajax caps, I'd pass on it regardless of the price (unless the same as a used DRRI).

smolder

Gold Supporting Member
Everything i've read says exactly the opposite. The blue molded caps should be kept. It's the brown turd ones folks have less interest in. I think if you replaced all of the blue caps, you'd probably lower the value of your amp.

As other have said, filter caps are one thing. replacing filter caps are a standard maintenance item. Tone and coupling caps are usually only replaced when they fail.

Blue and brown blob caps sound fine... not as good as the blue molded... but way better than 715/716 orange drops people replace them with. The internet is full of random opinions...

gldtp99

You may be the victim of bad information------ Leave the Ajax/Blue Molded coupling caps in your amp (replace these caps only if they actually fail----which is very rare).
A "Cap Job" in most vintage Fender amps means replacing the Electrolytic Capacitors in the Power Supply and also the Electrolytic Capacitor(s) that filters the Bias Supply circuit.
Replacing the Electrolytic Cathode Bypass Caps in the preamp is often considered optional----- some believe in replacement and some believe in leaving them alone.

Usually the original Blue molded/Ajax coupling caps are considered an important piece of the puzzle in the original parts one expects to find still present in a Vintage Fender amp---- as important as having the original transformers still present.

Last edited:

AllmanFan

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for all the info, fellas. Always great to get many (even if they are the same) opinions.

Jr Deluxe

Are you sure what you read wasnt sarcasm? Like: warning . Blue caps in fender deluxes can cause injury and death. Remove immediatly and send to me for proper disposal.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom