Considering swapping Line 6 rig for?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by GazzaBloom, May 5, 2015.

1. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Member

I have a Line 6 PODHD500X and Line 6 DT25 and long story short, there are great tones here but the PODHD is complex and there is a lot of tweaking needed and consideration for inputs settings, mixer, cab DSP and I have to add EQ to just about all amps to get a reasonable sound, and the EQ operation is baffling! I much prefer the Dt25 on it's own with no POD connected but still find a good drive tone hard to get at reasonable volume.

i want something simpler with less tweaking needed, but I like modelling gear and want a rig that will connect to my Mac for studio play/recording but also have ability to have the ’amp in the room’ sound.

Considering swapping for Atomic Amplifire and CLR 1x12 active wedge.

Thoughts?

Gazza

2. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

Amplifire + CLR would be a very nice rig. The Amplifire comes up short compared the POD when it comes to effects though. Depending on your needs you may end up wanting a multi-fx unit or some pedals.

3. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Member

my needs are quite effects lite, reverb, delay and occasional modulation that's about it. i have some external overdrive pedals that I use occasionally, and the POd screamer model gets some use to smooth out the drive on some of the amp models.

4. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like you'd be all set then. The Amplifire has a screamer now too.

5. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

I thought the Amplifire didn't have an integrated interface? Has that changed with FW updates? Not trying to sway your choice, but just be aware that you may need to use an external interface with an Amplifire.

6. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Have you tried S-Gear? For your home setup it would be a good fit, and use your amp with a few pedals for gigs.

7. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

What about using your DT25 with a few regular pedals? Or a different mfx unit?

8. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Member

To be honest, I like the DT25's clean topology but not really getting there with the drive topologies, the DT25 needs cranking up significnatly to get a good srive tone.

I think a FRFR monitor should help get a good drive tone at an adjustable volume.

9. Chris O

Chris O Member

???

Have you upgraded to the 2.0 firmware? There is NO problem getting a good drive tones (and plenty of them!), especially if you bump the front with an OD or something, and the DT25 takes pedals VERY well.

10. Jdstrat

Jdstrat Supporting Member

An EHX SoulFood before the HD or in the FX loop works wonders for a nice smooth overdrive without having to dial out any harsh frequencies.

11. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Member

I have a Focusrite Pro 14 interface, again, another thing about the PODHD that just complicates things....

12. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

If you've spent the time with the stuff you have and know it, I'd stick.

Once you know and understand the HD 500, I don't think it's that hard to use.

If you just want a change of pace that's something else.

13. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Member

I didn't say it was hard to use, I've had this set up for over a year now, just want something a little simpler and easier to dial in good tones without the detailed tweaking. I can get good tones from the HD but yearn for a simpler plug and play life so I can focus on playing rather than tweaking

14. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Wow, in my experience, you can just pick an amp and dial up your tone with the HD 500 and be done with it.

If you're looking for something really really simple... don't shoot me... but... a regular old tube amp is where it's at.

15. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Member

I'm no newbie, been playing for 35 years and had more tube amps than I care to remember, I want a great drive tone at controllable volume plus I have the itch for a new rig, plus I have these disposable income the days. i play in the house more than I play out these days so that's why I like modelling technology, but I like the look of the simpler vibe of the Amplifire.

16. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Here's your problem. Just send these funds to me for my new PRS & then you can re-focus on tweaking yer L6 rig.... problem solved. :drink

17. rsm

rsm Member

Boss GT-100. Worth a look IMO.

18. GazzaBloom

GazzaBloom Member

Actually, I've just bought a PRS Custom 22, a real sweet guitar, this one in fact:

http://worldguitars.co.uk/faded-whale-blue-pattern-57-08-207136

enjoy yours when you get it.

19. AminorZmajor

AminorZmajor Supporting Member

I have the HD500 and was an early adopter of the Amplifire and there is no comparison as far as I am concerned regarding amp tones. The Amplifire is on a completely different level. I just returned the new HD500 amp pack. Effects, as mentioned earlier could be an issue if you use a bunch but the Amplifire is more than sufficient for my use.