Considering trading my CC15 for a Collings

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lespaulnmarshall, Feb 26, 2015.

1. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Hi everyone,

So, I recently got a Collings OM2HA, which is an amazing guitar and I am just really impressed with Collings. I also tried an I 35 deluxe (non LC) on the day I bought my acoustic. I only played the I35 acoustically and it really impressed me (so did my OM2HA, of course that is why I bought it)
    So, i have a Gibson Greg Martin CC15 which i bought for its great tone, looks and playability, but I ended up just not playing it a lot, it just doesn't suit my in a way I guess....
    I have the chance to trade my CC15 for a Collings SoCo LC.
    I live in europe where collings prices are a bit different than the US. I heared last year the SoCo LC was about 4400€, but at the moment they are around 5000€ in the UK. My CC15 was 5500€. So the collings is a bit cheaper. The resale value on the collings is probably lower than on a gibson CC, but the Collings is currently what I am GASing for at might very well become my favorite HB equiped guitar. Something I could see keeping for a lifetime, but you never know till you actually own the guitar for a while of course...
    I am just wondering what does everyone think about this situation?
    Thanks,
    Maurice

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

3. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I have found that if I own a guitar, regardless of it's cost, but don't like it, keeping it means I am missing out on another guitar that I would play and enjoy, which is the reason I bought it in the first place.

The difference in price is 500 euros retail. Ask what a used version of the Collings would be, say for example, if you traded your Gibson for it and later wanted to trade the Collings for something else. Then you will find out what you would get later if you traded away the Collings
    If the difference is a lot, then see about selling your Greg Martin and just buying the Collings, so that you don't lose that much more later, if you decide to trade the Collings.

That is the only way to avoid a bigger loss, if that means something to you. It never stopped me from trading for what I wanted, but everyone thinks differently, ya know.

Good luck in whatever you decide. :)
    Your only other alternatives, as I see it, are to either do the trade you are asking about, or keep the Gibson and just try to sell it for as much as you can.

4. The bear

The bear Member

Do it!
    The soco lc is a fantastic guitar and a different vibe than your I-35 deluxe(also great).

5. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Sell the CC dont trade it. They wont do a straight trade in my opinion because they are going to want a higher margin of return. Sell the CC and buy a collings used. I'd bet with the right deal you will pocket some cash.

6. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Oh I see I used the words 'picked up'. I meant played on it in a store, not buy it. I willl edit that out of the OP

7. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Thanks everyone, I think selling first would indeed be the smart move. The collings is indeed worth less used than my CC. The cash price for the used collings I would say is pretty fair for europe, so I would do better buying it and selling the CC first. The only problem is that I am afraid if I sell my CC, the used Collings will be gone by that time.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  8. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

9. xrleroyx

xrleroyx Member

Does it have to be that specific guitar? If so, trade it. If you just want that model, wait and do yourself a favor.

I'm assuming that you have some type of business acumen being able to spend over 5,000 euros on a guitar.

10. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

It doesn't have to be this particular one, I haven't even tried it yet actually.
    but, over here it isn't likely to find another used collings any time soon, and if I sell the CC and this used collings is gone, I won't be able to afford a brand new collings with the money i get from the CC.

The problem is, GAS can just have much power over you...
    Also it is kind of a dilemma as I explained above. I know a straight trade for the collings is not beneficial for me, but it could be a good move to avoid missing out on one.

11. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Member

You'll have to change your user name to collingsnmarshall and that just doesn't have the same ring....

But seriously, if one speaks to you over another then so be it....but make sure its not just GAS. Spend 2 hours a day for a week playing that Les Paul CC15 and make very sure the other one will CRUSH it...otherwise keep it.

Reality is you will sound yourself with the one you have or the next one. The new guitar doesn't come with new licks, songs, or chops. Not trying to preach but just speaking from experience and mistakes I've made in the in and out game.

12. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Thanks, that is very true!

13. jlb32

jlb32 Member

I would not get to excited or even consider selling/trading your Gibson CC until you at least try the Collins you are thinking of getting for a period of time.

If the Collins are anything like Gibsons each guitar is individual. Just because you loved the other Collins you played does not mean you will love this one.

14. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Collings guitars are very consistent, but the LC is indeed another model than the solid I-35 I tried. Knowing collings I expect the guitar to be of amazing quality though.

15. Spoonful

Spoonful Member

I gotta tell you, GAS makes us do things that just seem crazy to other people. Only really regret letting go a very fine Les Paul Traditional for something else along the way. But even though it was a great guitar, it was also way too heavy for these old busted up shoulders.

Collings are indeed wonderful guitars. I'm guessing the CC Les Paul is too. I'm a Collings owner and I still have a Les Paul that I think is very special too. I wouldn't have given up this Les Paul for the Collings though. Gave up a few other very nice guitar instead.

One interesting thing I've discovered about Collings electrics is the 290 is one amazing guitar and probably my favorite. It's their entry level model, but I really think its a very fun guitar to play. They sound amazing too. If I had started my guitar journey there I might not have purchased so many other guitars along the way. I highly recommend you play one before you make up your mind.

16. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

thanks for that!
    A shop in my area happens to have a 290 with bigsby. I'm not really an LP special type of guy but I must admit, that 290 seems so sweet!!!