Consistant distortion pedal regardless of amp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gonkboy, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

What distortion pedals sound the same regardless of the amp you play through?
    I play a lot of shows at different venues. One week I might be playing through a Marshall stack, the next I might be playing through a cheap solid state.
    So what distortion pedals give a consistent tone regardless of the amp being used?

2. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Pedals sound radically different thru different rigs. I don't think there's really a one size fits all. I would get a pedal that has a three band EQ so you can tailor it to whatever amp you're using.

3. valvestate

valvestate Member

This.

Though, my Digitech Bad Monkey works in most of the amps I'm using. You might want to look for an Overdrive instead so that you can just use the Amp's own OD section and just boost it with your own OD Pedal.

4. lostpoet2

lostpoet2 Supporting Member

5. NakedInTheRain

NakedInTheRain Member

:rotflmao

6. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

While it won't sound the "same" through every rig (not really possible, imo), I think the MXR Super Badass Distortion might be a good choice for you, as it can be dialed in to work with just about any amp due to the 3-band active EQ option.

Might also consider getting something like a Voodoo Lab Giggity to compensate for rig changes - allows you to quickly adjust the tone/eq of your rig to match a backline amp.

7. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

indefinitely a consistent sound...:crazy

8. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Member

Try something with an extensive EQ section like the Wampler Triple Wreck.

9. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Ideally I'm looking for a pedal that I can set and forget. So all I have to do is get a clean tone from the amp and the pedal does the rest. The less tweaking with the pedal eq the better. A pedal that totally takes over the amp as much as possible.

Am I looking for the impossible?

10. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

Wampler Sovereign sounds GREAT through the following:

Two Rock Studio Pro 22 combo
    Mesa Boogie Electra dyne combo
    BadCat Cougar 15
    Hot Rod Deluxe
    Yahamah THR10
    Orange Solid State Combo
    Marshall Solid State Combo
    TC Electronics bass amp
    And just about every single frickin thing else I've played it through

Honestly - Brian hit it out of the park with this pedal....love it.

11. popvulture

popvulture Member

If you want simplicity and character, just get a RAT. It's the classic distortion for a reason.

12. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

I keep a Rat in my cable bag at all times just in case. I've yet to play a (good) Rat through any amp and not think, "Man, that sounds pretty darn good."

13. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Yes, in a way. When you are putting distortion pedals in front of other preamps, its the preamp whose character will dominate and the role of the distortion pedal is to tweak its tone to match what you want to hear. You won't be able to just sit a distortion pedal in front of any amp and get what you want without tweaking. If you can get each amp to sound close to identical first, then it would work, but only in theory since getting two very different amps to sound identical is also an impossible task.

You might want to look at using a preamp instead and run it into the fx loop of the amps at your gigs. Your tone will still need tweaking to compensate for differences in the power amp and speakers, but it is less tweaking than when you run in front of another preamp.

Check out the AMT Legend II pedals, as these can be used as either a distortion pedal or a preamp allowing you to make the choice based on the gear you have available. They sound good and are quite versatile. The trick is picking the one (or two) that suit you best.

What I'd start doing though, with any pedal or preamp, is start taking notes at each gig you play. What amp is there and how you dialed in your pedal rig. Makes it easy returning to that gig later and gives you a baseline for other gigs when similar backline equipment is available.

14. david henman

david henman Member

radial bones london...the most under-recognized, under-rated distortion pedal in the world

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Sorry... but the answer is none. All amps are simply amplifying what is plugged into them. But that includes, of course, the circuit eq, filtering and over all sonic footprint. Simply take a good overdrive (Eternity, Honey Bee, Direct Drive) and plug it into a Vox, a non-master Marshall and then a Twin. Completly different results in each instance.

BUT, a great pedal can sound good through most amps. A Barber Dirty Bomb fits this bill. There are others that work great too, like the Suhr Riot...

16. thecornman

thecornman Member

17. gollumsluvslave

gollumsluvslave Member

This is great advice! As someone recently changed to run an AMT V-1 at teh end of my chain out into the amps FX Return, all my pedals are so much more consistent from amp to amp. :aok

18. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

Yeah, your pedalboard is the perfect solution for pluging into backline gear, or even a mixer if you must. I played a gig Saturday night using an AC-30 with the 4 AMT preamps situated behind the amp (V1, O2, C2 & P2). Since all my preamp/pedal gear is behind the amps and I only have switchers out front, there were some curious people at the side of the stage taking pictures of my gear while the set was being struck (no doubt guitar players who understand that a single AC-30 was not responsible for all the tones they were hearing).

19. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Before I got a Quilter and a Carvin V3M (built in attenuator) this was a real issue for me. I was wanting to bring an amp of a size to match the venue size.

The distortion pedal I found did the best at staying the same on any amp was a VFE Dark Horse. It has two things that really make this, 1. a really good EQ section and 2. a 'compression' knob that balanced out the amount of compression the amp naturally had.

20. Gonkboy

Gonkboy Member

This thread is quite an education. Thanks to everyone for their advice. And major props to Rockdebris.