Consistent Tweed Tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by drift_boat, Nov 9, 2005.

1. drift_boat

drift_boat Member

I am totally enamoured with tweed amps (a recent discovery for me!). The size that seems most usable to me, seems to be the Victoria Deluxe or the Clark Beaufort.

Those of you that have taken more than a couple for a test drive during your search, how consistent is their tone from amp to amp?

2. myles111

myles111 Member

www.pierson-amps.com has a number of tweed amps and also does custom work. These are worth strong consideration.

3. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i have a vic deluxe.
    i'd swap out the jensen for a weber alnico, tho'.
    as far as consistency goes...
    i think they are OK. i've played thru several vics and kendricks over the years. generally speaking, the vic amps are a bit more mellow sounding than the kendricks. as much as these amps are supposed to be replica amps, i still think that there is a vic sound, a kendrick sound, a clark sound etc.. then U have to factor in the aging process. seriously, i think that there is a much bigger difference in tubes than there will be between individual amps of the same type.

4. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    He asked about Victoria and Clark.:rolleyes:

Anyways I have owned a couple of Beauforts and both were great. They seemed very similar and the tone was all tweed. I just don't care much for tweed. But I have never tried Vics.

Chuck

5. lv

lv Supporting Member

I've owned a couple Victorias and 5 Clarks. Both are consistent, but I prefer the tone and build quality of the Clarks, as well as resale value.

6. lv

lv Supporting Member

Another unknown builder who charges too much. $2,795 for his bassman made from off the shelf parts - some of his parts are not even period correct - Solen caps in a bassman repro?

Clark's Bassman is $2,175 with custom transformers and resistors. Better resale. I compared my Clark bassman to 4 different real ones, the Victoria, and the Fender reissue and everyone in the shop thought the Clark sounded closer to the originals, actually better than 2 of the originals.

7. MVrider

MVrider Member

If you are asking is build quality (and therefore consistent sound/tone) consistent between one Victoria clone and another Victoria clone of a particular model of tweed amp or between one Clark clone and another Clark clone of a particular model of tweed amp I'd say...

I've not heard a complaint regarding inconsistencies in manufacture of either of these brands, therefore, sound/tone should be consistent between one example and another.

If you're asking if a given brand of tweed clone will sound exactly like a particular old tweed you've heard, I'd say...

I wouldn't bet on it. There were several versions of (different circuits used in) a lot of those old tweed amps especially the Deluxe. The clones are great clones of specific circuits but not necessarily the circuit you heard or like.

Even if the clone you're considering is a clone of the circuit you like, aging, condition, speaker type, speaker condition, brand of tubes, mileage on the tubes all make a difference both in the originals and in the clones...

8. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

5 clickable links to businesses, and you don't even bother to answer the guys question. Sad, sad little man you've become Myles...:(

9. drift_boat

drift_boat Member

I was asking the former.

Sounds like buying one unseen or unplayed is probably ok.

I am looking for a Beaufort or VicDeluxe now and probably won't be able to play or hear it before I pull the trigger. You guys are saying to stay with a known quality builder and that should equate to more consistent tone and resale (assuming no mods, or issues).

Thanks for all the replies so far.

10. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

If I wanted a tweed amp, I'd confine my search to Victoria and Clark. Great amps (I've had two Victorias), and I have yet to hear a complaint about the quality of either company's amps. They may not be exactly what you want, but they will be well made. Plus, I think that these guys will be in business long after most of the other boutique tweed builders.

Those Pierson prices are out of hand! I remember when his champ was a cheap alternative. If you are going to go with a newer builder, there are much better deals out there.

11. lv

lv Supporting Member

If you know you like tweed tones, then between Victoria and Clark, I think you'll be ok buying sight unseen.

12. drift_boat

drift_boat Member

I know that I like tweed tones. Was over at a friend's where we played a VicDeluxe and a Fender 57 Twin RI. Made me want to sell my other amps and just get tweed!

The Deluxe size really did it to me. Sweet, rich, sparkly cleans nicely blending into warm overdrive at such useable volume....I could go on and on. We couldn't think of a better tele tone, plus a strat was real nice, and a les paul just killed.

The Fender 57 Twin had nice tones also. Never got into breakup territory as that would have shaken his roof off.

13. tacorivers

tacorivers Silver Supporting Member

Fat Sound Guitars has a used Vicky Deluxe for $1000. I'd jump on that now if I were you (and if I had the money, I would have already called!). :D

14. drift_boat

drift_boat Member

Thanks TacoRivers....I'm gonna check that out rightaway.

15. James Knox

James Knox Member

I have a Beaufort Special, a Beaufort and a Custom made Beaufort due in on Friday. The Beaufort Special is in a larger cab for better bass response and has a Weber P12N type speaker and the regular Beaufort has a Blue Dog. The custom on the way has a Celestion Blue. If I had to pick between them I honestly could not do it! They are BOTH awesome sounding - but slightly different.

I LOVE Clark Amplification built tweed amplifiers! Even with the different cab sizes and speakers they have a similar sonic signature. You can NOT go wrong with Clark amps.

My first tweed Deluxe was a Victoria 20112 (Deluxe). It had a reissue Jensen and Orange drop caps - no comparison to the Clark. I sold it soon after buying it - at a loss. It might have sounded better with a different speaker.

Good luck,

James

16. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

the vic tweed deluxe really comes alive w/ the weber alnico. for the life of me i can't understand why he doesn't have these speakers as standard. the jensen is a little bit underwhelming.

17. lv

lv Supporting Member

Years ago Mark told me his relationship with Weber wasn't very good and that is why he doesn't use Weber's for his stock speaker.

Another reason to go with Clark.

18. alainguitars

alainguitars Silver Supporting Member

I've owned Vics and Clarks. All I can say is Swart!

19. lv

lv Supporting Member

I hadn't even thought about it but yep, I'd get a Swart before I'd get a deluxe clone.

20. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

It's win/win with Clark & Victoria. I personally have played more Vicky's and have never been dissapointed. Love the Bassman, 1x15 and 3x10's A LOT! an owned a Vick Tweed Deluxe 1x12 for years. Excellent amp, super reliable and full of tweed-a-tude. One of the best sounding amps with a Strat. Good times!