Consolidating guitars into a vintage instrument

Mr Fingers

To be blunt, a "player" grade guitar is great if you, too, are a player! I would never, ever buy a guitar I didn't love playing and intended to play. I've sold many guitars at a good profit, but that's not why I bought them,. ever. It's just that good guitars are always worth more as time passes. I would definitely ditch breadth for quality. I'm an anomaly on this forum, but I think it's idiotic (and bad) to amass a so-called collection of guitars you don't play, unless you are genuinely investing. I've had many giuitars over many years and am happy to say that the numbers have steadily gone down and the quality of the smaller number I retain is really wonderful. That's what I'd shoot for.

Valveampguy

To be blunt, a "player" grade guitar is great if you, too, are a player! I would never, ever buy a guitar I didn't love playing and intended to play. I've sold many guitars at a good profit, but that's not why I bought them,. ever. It's just that good guitars are always worth more as time passes. I would definitely ditch breadth for quality. I'm an anomaly on this forum, but I think it's idiotic (and bad) to amass a so-called collection of guitars you don't play, unless you are genuinely investing. I've had many giuitars over many years and am happy to say that the numbers have steadily gone down and the quality of the smaller number I retain is really wonderful. That's what I'd shoot for.

I’m absolutely with you on that. What’s the point of having any instrument, old or new, if you don’t play it.
I really enjoy all of my guitars and still play all of them on a regular basis, some more than others, but that’s normal and comes in phases.

So reducing the herd a little to consolidate into fewer guitars you play more seems like a good idea. I’ll start my selling process this weekend with a Martin and a Strat.

Nonvintage

Let's say you have $25K in trade value and you want a vintage Strat. You don't put on the whammy bar on your Strat generally. If you could negotiate reasonably with the dealer, would you go for a 60 hardtail or a really clean 64, both all original/original owner guitars? The 60 is $2500 more than the 64.

Last edited:

59Jazzmaster

Let's say you have $25K in trade value and you want a vintage Strat. You don't put on whammy bar on your Strat generally. If you could negotiate reasonably with a dealer, would you go for a 60 hardtail or a really clean 64, both all original? The 60 is $2500 more but the dealer is amenable and the 64 has a dealer that won't negotiate because it's so clean.

From strictly a player's perspective, I'd prefer the '64. I like the pickups and board. My main guitar is a '64.

If I lay down that kinda money for a vintage instrument, even a player's grade one, I look for one which has been refinished but is otherwise original except for small things like the frets, nut, switch, or purely cosmetic things like the knobs. Maybe the tuners, that's about it. Maybe one pot I can replace with a period correct one. If the pickups or bridge have been changed, I move on.

test123455676

Let's say you have $25K in trade value and you want a vintage Strat. You don't put on the whammy bar on your Strat generally. If you could negotiate reasonably with the dealer, would you go for a 60 hardtail or a really clean 64, both all original/original owner guitars? The 60 is $2500 more than the 64.
I think I know exactly what store you're buying from, and I've been looking at the exact same two strats. The 64 is a specific month/year I've been hoping to get.

Want to split the cost and share it?

Sampler

Gold Supporting Member
@Nonvintage..You really have to play them to decide…but If the tremolo was never going to get used I would gravitate more towards the ‘60. The necks of that era are very unique and have a great, extreme taper that I like. If it’s the guitar I’m thinking of it’s also extremely light and looks to be very clean and complete….with a great finish that’s faded a bit.

Last edited:

charliechitlins

Silver Supporting Member
SG Specials and non-reverse Firebirds are similar guitars and have escaped hype by not being iconic/heavily associated with a big star.

I traded a minty killer red pre CBS Mustang and a Page Dano in coffin case for a 1960 Strat, and I still miss the other two guitars. Mistake.

Krieger SG standard is fairly famous, but he did play a Special.

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 7.34.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 7.34.38 PM.png

Iomni's Monkey SG, although often seen playing humbuckers and maybe even Filtertrons?

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 7.31.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 7.35.08 PM.png

Trending Topics

Top Bottom