• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Constant rises in amp prices?

Aromero19

Hello all

I’m new here so here’s to a hopefully decent first post.

I’ve been searching around for a new amp with my eye particular focused on a deluxe reverb. However, every time I look up the price on one it seems to increase constantly in such little time!

I could have sworn deluxes were going for $1200 not too long ago, rising to $1399 just this year and now I see they’re going for $1499?! Should I just buy one soon or should I risk having to spend upwards of 2k in the near future for what used to be a fairly affordable amp

My question: am I going crazy or are price hikes actually happening so often? Are other amps rising this frequently in price?

Thanks in advance for sticking around for my rant

Wyatt Martin

Hello all

I’m new here so here’s to a hopefully decent first post.

I’ve been searching around for a new amp with my eye particular focused on a deluxe reverb. However, every time I look up the price on one it seems to increase constantly in such little time!

I could have sworn deluxes were going for $1200 not too long ago, rising to $1399 just this year and now I see they’re going for $1499?! Should I just buy one soon or should I risk having to spend upwards of 2k in the near future for what used to be a fairly affordable amp

My question: am I going crazy or are price hikes actually happening so often? Are other amps rising this frequently in price?

Thanks in advance for sticking around for my rant
I can remember packing one around a store one time contemplating buying it. I eventually sat it back down because I thought the $799 price tag was a little steep. Yes that's been a while ago but not all that long ago, 2006.

Somewhere around 2010 I started noticing when Fender increased prices it was by an automatic $100, not 25 not 50 and it seemed to be about every 2 years or less they did that.

I'd look for a used one before spending that kind of money on a new one. Maybe you have no use for a Twin Reverb Reissue right now but you don't have to look very hard to find one of those in the 5-$600 range. Crazy cheap in my opinion and even cheaper than a used Deluxe Reverb but heavy as heck.

t1r12003

Do a Google search for Global Supply Chain and that will explain a lot. Even American made products rely on parts from overseas which have become harder to get and more expensive to ship. That’s also pushed up prices on good used amps as well

Covid, in many cases has caused price increases, and in many cases is also a convenient excuse for companies to raise prices.

I do agree though, Deluxe Reverb prices are freaking crazy. Vox is building a *handwired* AC-15 for the same price. Used PCB wired DR Reissues are selling for $1,000 now. It's just crazy. I bought a nice example 1967 BFDR for cheaper than what a new '64 Custom DR goes for. I also have a 1965 non-reverb Deluxe that I got for less than the PCB Reissues sell for. Who wants a reissue when you can buy the real vintage deal for less money?!

IMO, you have 2 options:
1) Get in now if you're buying new, because the price isn't ever coming down.
2) Wait for the used market to tank, because it will at some point. Though it may be a while.

56Tweed

Ge Fuzz-o-holic
Gold Supporting Member
Record demand and record supply/component prices = higher prices. This could be the new normal....

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Please don’t buy new, especially a Deluxe Reverb. Spend some time doing very detailed research (best speakers, tubes, etc) then go find it here, on used GC, Reverb, etc. I mean, used Allen, Wonderdawg, Fargen, etc. Like guys who REALLY know how to build a DR for $1500.

Aromero19

Please don’t buy new, especially a Deluxe Reverb. Spend some time doing very detailed research (best speakers, tubes, etc) then go find it here, on used GC, Reverb, etc. I mean, used Allen, Wonderdawg, Fargen, etc. Like guys who REALLY know how to build a DR for $1500.
Thanks for the tips, will definitely look into those guys!

Aromero19

Covid, in many cases has caused price increases, and in many cases is also a convenient excuse for companies to raise prices.

I do agree though, Deluxe Reverb prices are freaking crazy. Vox is building a *handwired* AC-15 for the same price. Used PCB wired DR Reissues are selling for $1,000 now. It's just crazy. I bought a nice example 1967 BFDR for cheaper than what a new '64 Custom DR goes for. I also have a 1965 non-reverb Deluxe that I got for less than the PCB Reissues sell for. Who wants a reissue when you can buy the real vintage deal for less money?!

IMO, you have 2 options:
1) Get in now if you're buying new, because the price isn't ever coming down.
2) Wait for the used market to tank, because it will at some point. Though it may be a while.
I’ve equally looked into the vox amps for that exact reason, just need to try them out in person for final convince. I think we can all agree these price increases are really beginning to get out of hand! Appreciate the advice

spankplank

pcb vs. hand-wired, quality wood cabinet construction, parts & components & speakers....amps are almost as important as the guitar and you generally get what you pay for. I've been buying amps for close to 20 years (new and used) and have never paid less than $1000 for a head or combo. "Invest" in your amp just as you would a great guitar. They will hold/rise in value just as a good guitar will. Go hand-wired for durability and ease of repair. I'd recommend the OP buy an Allen Amps Sweet Spot for $1800 new.

(brands I've bought: Allen amps, Fender hand-wired, Clark amps, 65 amps)

Last edited:

fazzer

Man, this is really a bummer. I pulled the trigger on a blonde TMDR and it's not working out for me, so I was going to return it to grab a tube amp. Over the last few weeks it looks like prices on, e.g., Sweetwater jumped about 20-30% on a number of tube amps. Yikes.

abby_normal

Yeah, but used if you can, although watch the prices. There is a guy selling a 1992 DRRI and asking $1200 on our local craigslist. He calls it "vintage" and from the "first year of production" LOL, as if it's got more mojo.

I bought mine, a floor model, a while back from a local music store for $800 with warranty. They were $1099 new at the time. I thought I did pretty good.

ShortyK

Last year they were $1199.00 and the 68 Custom was $1099. I bought the custom..(Guitar Center) So yep, up $200 in a year..

Liko

Welcome to the pandemic supply chain.

Beginning late 2019 in China, and clear through 2020, entire cities around the world went into lockdown. That means Chinese factories weren't producing the small components that everyone else in the world uses to make their "domestically-produced" products. It means ships' crews were being quarantined for two weeks offshore before being allowed to put in to port. It means longshoremen and crane operators were home instead of manning port facilities.

Meanwhile, in the US at least, you have all these people stuck at home, bored out of their minds, half of them getting a break on their rent with the eviction moratorium and the other half still doing their jobs from home, nearly all of them getting COVID stimulus checks from Uncle Sam. That's a lot of cash that can't be spent on traditional going-out entertainment, that was instead being spent on home improvement projects (might as well make your home office, and the rest of your home, a nice place to be cooped up), on beefier computers, new TVs and other "domestic" forms of entertainment... including musical instruments and recording equipment.

For a while in 2020, the costs of most of your common gear was kept in check by the fact that professional gigging musicians, now out of work and hanging by their fingernails, were selling off whatever they could to stay afloat. As of Spring 2021, with most of the US opening back up for business, that trend has reversed, and now everyone wants gear; the hobbyists want to keep building their rigs, and the pros want to replace what they had to sell or hock. Even with infection rates back up in a huge way, few if any in government are seriously talking about another lockdown.

There were other, smaller impacts to the market as well. One of the bigger smaller ones was Snowmageddon, in mid-February. Among other things, it brought the forestry business in the Pacific Northwest (where luthiers get most of their spruce and maple) to a halt, and the grid issues in Texas caused by the cold weather shut down one of the US's largest microchip plants, impacting not only car manufacturers who didn't have the chips needed for various onboard computer systems, but also pedal and amp manufacturers who could no longer get various op-amps and other IC-based processors (like bucket brigade and Belton Brick chips). And let's not forget the Ever Given, the container ship that became a floating roadblock on the Suez Canal, through which about 10% of all international shipping travels.

This all played havoc with the "Just-In-Time" supply chain model most US companies have adopted to minimize warehouse requirements. Used to be, you could order practically any quantity of anything you planned to use or sell with a two- to three-week lead time, from anywhere in the world, shipped to anywhere in the world, for about $4,000 per cargo container. Now, lead times are as long as three months, and a cargo container is costing in excess of $15,000 to ship across the Pacific.

So, let's recap: you have shortages of key components like pots, resistors and ICs, you have logistics slowdowns and stoppages, with what is getting through costing about three times what it used to, and you have a nation of people who don't really care, they're flush with newly-minted cash and ready to get back to the "old normal". Demand is high, supply is low, and you have too many dollars chasing too few goods. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the shorthand definition of inflation, which has increased every price across the board by 10% just from this time last year. Durable goods prices (stuff built to last at least 3 years, including most music gear) has increased by even more.

So yeah, I see absolutely nothing out of place with a Deluxe Reverb increasing $100 year-over-year for a few years in a row now. That's honestly nothing; vintage gear has skyrocketed, as most of us know. The Klon Centaur's just the spearhead, take a look at current prices of TS10s and vintage RATs and prepare to either laugh at the absurdity, or feel ill that a pedal like the TS-10, regarded as complete trash as recently as 2005, are now changing hands for prices approaching four figures. This is all Market Economics 101, which most of the world's politicians seem never to have taken, and are now pointedly pretending none of this is happening because it was all caused by the only things they actually had control over; the ability to implement mass quarantines and the ability to create money out of thin air to compensate people for not working.

Last edited:

fazzer

It's just jarring to see. Over a few weeks, for example: AC15C1 up from $699 to $899, DRRI Wine Red edition up from $1,299 to $1,499.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom