Constellation in the house!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GAT, Oct 13, 2005.

1. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Whoa baby, do I love this amp. Got it yesterday from Eddie's (thanks Nathan) and rehearsed tonight. What a great amp! Sounds great with humbuckers, P90s and strats and takes pedals like a champ. Very different than the K60s, probably fits my style more. Too much fun now! :D

2. mtndog

mtndog Gold Supporting Member

It is a fabulous amp that gets better as you become more familiar with how to coax out its magic. Congrats!

3. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

OK, now you can answer me! :) What cab/speakers are you using it with? And would it be usable at reasonable home levels with an attenuator?

4. GAT

i plugged it into my Marshall 4x12 metal handle cab with 30 watt Celestions, yikes it sound good.

However, it also sounds great through a 2x12 Germino with open back and a Celestion Heritage G12H and a Classic Lead 80 at 8 ohms. Amazing tone and with the Komet Airbrake 2 clicks down it is not loud but still sounds good. In rehearsal I ran it without the airbrake. This amp is great. In fact I'm going into my studio now to check it out with the Clay jones I got in the mail today, life is good. :D

5. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

6. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

The Constellation is a spectacular amp...I always feel that opened up, it's almost on the verge of being out of control...in the best sense.

I've put mine through v30s in a Rivera 4x12; sounded great, an emi GB12 in an avatar ported back 1x12; wonderful od, but some loss of note definition, absolutely screams through the matching custom made Bob Burt vert 2x12 with a Red Fang in the open top and Hellatone 30 in the closed, ported bottom (can only guess what it would sound like with a real blue), also really likes a spruce Jenkins 2x12 with weber blue and silver.

IMHO, this ain't no living room amp by any means. I've gigged mine using a Weber Mass in parallel and even then it sucked some tone. The few times I've used the attenuator in-line, it clipped the springy overtones off and cut some of the life out of the amp. Attenuated to conversational levels and there is little left of its inherent character. This thing was meant to be played loud and proud...definitely makes me play more aggressively than normal. This is the LOUDEST 35 watt amp I've EVER touched.

If you don't need the volume, try a London 65. Half the wattage, an absolutely amazing piece of work. I'm sure others will take issue, but I think it has a similar character but is vastly more flexible and almost as harmonically rich. For home, even rehearsal use, try a Fuchs Lucky 7. Great R&R amp, also very loud for its stated wattage, can take attenuators. A great amp at an even better price point. I'm using one with a moderately loud r&r band at rehearsals and I can't even dime it (soon to be supplanted by the aforementioned London ; D )

BTW, fwiw, Connie is also one hell of a looker, one of the classiest cosmetic packages ever built.

7. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Not what I wanted to hear. I have no interest in the 65s, either. :(

8. agentcooper2001

agentcooper2001 Member

is there something about the 65 amps that turn you off?

9. GAT

I can't speak for others, but I had a London head and thought it was okay, not loud enough for my band. I thought the highend was a bit buzzy. However, others love it. I traded for a Adam Stark Sex Amp and love that.

10. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

The clips I heard of the Connie at the NYC ampfest by Jackaroo were THE best of show, IMO.
    One day I will play (and possibly own) the Connie.
    The only issue for me, as always...volume.
    S.
    j

11. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I haven't played a 65 (in fact, I've never played a boutique amp in a store... nowhere near me carries ANY!), but from the clips, it's just not something I'm looking for. Sounds way too harsh for me (if I recall correctly - I haven't listened to the clips in months)...

12. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

That's interesting. The clips of the 65 don't nearly do it justice. It is actually not harsh at all, although I suppose you could set it to make it that way. Actually has a really full bodied, richly harmonic sound...again, alot like the Constellation. I was having a blast nursing sweet harmonics off clean chimey chords, crunchy power chords and screamy single note stuff. They are both el 84 amps and share the same characteristics. The Constellation seems more aggressive and if anything, is more harsh than what I heard out of the 65. All depends on your definition of "harsh". Both of these amps are way more harsh than my primary squeeze; a Fuchs ods 50 slx. But that is harsh in a good way; gritty, crunchy, edgy od, not creamy and smooth. I don't hear either of these as being harsh in the usual negative sense; Boogie od tends to be harsh to my ears; midrangey with a really hard edge.
    Actually its kinda cool, all three amps share a propensity for popping harmonics all over the place and offering controlable feedback almost at will but the base character of sound is lightyears apart between the Fuchs and the others. To my ears, the Constellation and the 65 share the same tonal base with some subtle but distinct differences in emphasis.

If your primary concern is volume, IMHO you really need to look elsewhere. Perhaps something with a really good MV control or scaleable architecture. There is so much really good stuff out there now, there is probably a near perfect match for anyone's criterea when you look far enough.

It certainly can be a fun search. Good luck.

Michael